Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By halmo20
  • 1 Post By planoman
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    25 Global Posts

Default Galaxy S4 - First Impression after about 30min of use

This is what I got after using it for about 30 minutes or so.. Not enough time to do a real review or anything. It was just enough to run couple of benchmarks and get the general feel of the device.
    The device was running on AT&T LTE with March 17th kernel

Look and Feel: I was surprised to find out that the device actually felt very nice and 'premium' Contrary to many who stated that it's a cheap plastic turd... lol, It actually felt nice and the larger metal band around the device definitely added to that feel. Looking at the phone from the front, first thing you will notice is how thin the bezel is on the side. I had my GS3 next to it and GS4 definitely felt smaller and thinner (despite having larger display.) I really liked how the screen took up most of front of the phone... You can definitely see that pattern on the body. I thought it added slightly to the 'premium' feel. All in all, while not at par with devices like the One, GS4 definitely felt and looked better than the GS3...

Performance: Again just how the OS behaved in short time I had the device... Well I thought that my GS3 was smooth and fast... Naturally I was surprised to find out how much smoother the GS4 felt. There was absolutely no lag or hesitation what so ever.. Even apps opened up faster than on my GS3. I can't comment on how it would behave after loading a ton of applications. However it behaved exactly like a new flagship device of 2013 should behave. Scrolling through screens side by side with GS3, I could definitely tell GS4 was faster and smooth. I was able get quadrant score of 12049. At the last minute, I ran Antutu and got something in the 18000 range... Can't remember the exact Antutu number and I didn't write it down.. Curiously, the app reported 1.8Ghz as device cpu speed..

Screen: I can't comment on the daytime performance because I was in a dark room. Screen looked fine.. Not much else to say. When compared to GS3 next to each other, naturally, text on GS4 was much smoother and sharper, an obvious observation from a 1080 device...

Camera: I only had enough time to take 1 picture same time with my GS3 from a same spot. Picture from GS4 was somewhat brighter. Dual camera thing was kind of fun. Having two children myself, I think I can definitely use this feature when I'm taking my kids pictures.. I wish I had more time to test the camera, but oh well..

External speaker: About same as GS3...

I really wasn't sure if I wanted to upgrade to 4 from my 3.... After handling GS4 however, I am leaning towards getting one... I still want to check out HTC One though... I'm really not sure If I can handle the Sense, but we'll see.

If you guys have any question, I'll be happy to answer as best as I can...
    Thanked by 7:
    major payne, j510 and TomsAndroid like this.

Global Posts
    691 Global Posts
    ROM
    Rooted

Default Re: Galaxy S4 - First Impression after about 30min of use

Could you tell if the band around the middle actually metal? I've been assuming it was metallized plastic, to help keep the weight down.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    25 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dwhitman View Post
    Could you tell if the band around the middle actually metal? I've been assuming it was metallized plastic, to help keep the weight down.
    When I dinged the metal bend on my GS3, it left a dent like the ones you would see on metal like aluminum. I had no reason to believe the metal bend on GS4 was not metal. But then again, I wasn't really looking to find out myself nor was I about to do a scratch test on it... So, I guess I can't answer your question for sure. It just 'looked' like metal..

How did the phone feel weight wise compared the the S3? And is it the same size as the S3 as far as length and width but a larger screen?

Were u at the event at NY?

Sounds promising but nothing I didn't expect.

Nice review, seems to reinforce what you said Samsung Galaxy S4 Review - Call quality, Battery and Conclusion

Quote Originally Posted by halmo20 View Post
    You can definitely see that pattern on the body. I thought it added slightly to the 'premium' feel.
    Could you just see the pattern or could you feel it?
    I ask because my Note 2 when not wearing a case seems a bit slippery. Does the pattern make a difference in that respect?

Why only 30 minutes with the phone? I would have thought field testing would take longer.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Global Posts
    25 Global Posts

No I could not feel the pattern... Just visual..

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by:
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Global Posts
    25 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jcp007 View Post
    Why only 30 minutes with the phone? I would have thought field testing would take longer.
    Maybe, I just happened to know someone who is a field tester.......

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by androidfan69 View Post
    Galaxy s4 for sale will be the end of april. this post just fake I think
    *sigh*
    Lumia 925 8.1 Dev Pre, Nexus 5 (32GB), Moto X (32GB), Lumia 1020, Google Edition S4, Galaxy S4 (32GB), S4 Active, Nexus 4, Note 2, Galaxy S3, Galaxy Note (ATT), Galaxy Note Intl., Galaxy S2 Skyrocket, Nexus S, Atrix 2, Atrix, Galaxy S1 Captivate, Nexus 7 (32GB), iPad 4, Dell Venue Pro 8
    and yes...an iPhone 5 too...
    Thanked by 2:
    Chetan Takyar likes this.

You forget even if.they were demos all ny event attendees got a live pre release copy. I personally camt.wait but i hope the weight and feel is more like the L9 which im using as a surogate til tmobile drops s4...

Sent from my LG-P769

Quote Originally Posted by androidfan69 View Post
    Galaxy s4 for sale will be the end of april. this post just fake I think
    Dude, field testers get the phone early to test and the OP knows a field tester so he got to try it out.
    Please do read his comments carefully.

Global Posts
    1,826 Global Posts
    ROM
    VernomRez / ICS / CM9

Thank you for the information it's much appericated
    Palm Centro, Palm Pre +, HTC Rezound, Samsung Galaxy S4

Quote Originally Posted by halmo20 View Post
    This is what I got after using it for about 30 minutes or so.. Not enough time to do a real review or anything. It was just enough to run couple of benchmarks and get the general feel of the device.
    The device was running on AT&T LTE with March 17th kernel

Look and Feel: I was surprised to find out that the device actually felt very nice and 'premium' Contrary to many who stated that it's a cheap plastic turd... lol, It actually felt nice and the larger metal band around the device definitely added to that feel. Looking at the phone from the front, first thing you will notice is how thin the bezel is on the side. I had my GS3 next to it and GS4 definitely felt smaller and thinner (despite having larger display.) I really liked how the screen took up most of front of the phone... You can definitely see that pattern on the body. I thought it added slightly to the 'premium' feel. All in all, while not at par with devices like the One, GS4 definitely felt and looked better than the GS3...

Performance: Again just how the OS behaved in short time I had the device... Well I thought that my GS3 was smooth and fast... Naturally I was surprised to find out how much smoother the GS4 felt. There was absolutely no lag or hesitation what so ever.. Even apps opened up faster than on my GS3. I can't comment on how it would behave after loading a ton of applications. However it behaved exactly like a new flagship device of 2013 should behave. Scrolling through screens side by side with GS3, I could definitely tell GS4 was faster and smooth. I was able get quadrant score of 12049. At the last minute, I ran Antutu and got something in the 18000 range... Can't remember the exact Antutu number and I didn't write it down.. Curiously, the app reported 1.8Ghz as device cpu speed..

Screen: I can't comment on the daytime performance because I was in a dark room. Screen looked fine.. Not much else to say. When compared to GS3 next to each other, naturally, text on GS4 was much smoother and sharper, an obvious observation from a 1080 device...

Camera: I only had enough time to take 1 picture same time with my GS3 from a same spot. Picture from GS4 was somewhat brighter. Dual camera thing was kind of fun. Having two children myself, I think I can definitely use this feature when I'm taking my kids pictures.. I wish I had more time to test the camera, but oh well..

External speaker: About same as GS3...

I really wasn't sure if I wanted to upgrade to 4 from my 3.... After handling GS4 however, I am leaning towards getting one... I still want to check out HTC One though... I'm really not sure If I can handle the Sense, but we'll see.

If you guys have any question, I'll be happy to answer as best as I can...
    How was the browser? That's the most important thing to me. I know the browser worked better on 4.0 than jelly bean. Jelly Bean can't handle high graphics websites such as ign.
    How do we know we are not brains in a V.A T.S ?
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

Global Posts
    25 Global Posts

It felt pretty much the same weight wise... I could tell it was smaller than GS3 which made the larger screen stand out more.
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

Global Posts
    25 Global Posts

Sure it was super fast and felt snappy. But then again I was on LTE and speed test showed about 14m download speed. I am satisfied with my GS3's browser and GS4's browser worked just as well if not slightly better. I used the stock browser to test out the hover feature, which worked as advertised. Hover feature was more useful on the stock email app. I wished I had a pair of gloves on to see if it really worked with gloves on...

Can't wait to have it.

Did you notice any scratches on the bezel when viewed under strong lighting. I can see tiny scratches at certain angles