[UPDATED with final decision] Buy Galaxy S4 or stick with Nexus 4 and buy iPhone 5?

jtc276

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
Update:

I've been thinking long and hard about this dilemma for the last few days and I've finally made my decision...I'm just going to wait.

Next month when the S4 and HTC One are both released, I'm going to take a trip to the AT&T store and make a hands-on comparison between them and the iPhone 5. I'm not loyal to any brand (I've owned devices from all three companies, all of which have been great), so I'm just going to pick the one I like the best. What really made me begin doubting my choice to get an iPhone 5 is the large price for the 64gb version I would have to purchase in order to store my music collection. $400 is ridiculous for any phone on contract. However, if the S4 has subpar audio quality and the HTC One underwhelms me or AT&T doesn't offer the 64gb variant, I will more than likely be splurging for the iPhone 5. But, after thinking about it, I really don't want to. While messing with my Nexus 4 today, it hit me hard how much fun I've had with Android. It's the most powerful, dev-friendly mobile OS and it truly gives the user the ability to make their phone their phone. And I feel like purchasing an iPhone would be going against everything I've enjoyed with Android, even if I still do have a Nexus 4. So, if at all possible, I'll be purchasing either the S4 or the HTC One (I'm growing fonder of it with each passing day). But if the storage and sound quality expectations I have cannot be met, I will more than likely buy an iPhone 5 simply for the fact that I made a promise to myself that my next smartphone would also be my MP3 player.

I'd like to thank everyone who posted in this thread and helped me make my decision. Many of you actually did bring up some very helpful points and made me seriously consider what I should use my upgrade on. Android Central is by far my favorite forum community, Android-based news site, and also one of the reasons that I love Android so much. I'm glad that everyone could be of such help. :)

_____________________________________________________________________________________

I've been conflicted lately. My mom recently bought an iPhone 5 and I've sort of fallen in love with it. I'm no fan of the home screen (it is very, very boring), but the apps are amazing and the audio quality (both external and internal) is great. I'm also not very bothered by the screen size. In a way, moving to something smaller is slightly refreshing. However, it's still an iPhone and I think there's a possibility I could become bored with it...but when I consider this, I remember that I do have a Nexus 4, so I wouldn't be abandoning Android completely. And so here's my idea:

Option one - Keep Nexus 4 (I'm keeping it either way) and buy a Galaxy S4:
Benefits:
  • Both run Android, though one is skinned with many new features
  • The Galaxy S4 is a true flagship and should excel in all areas the Nexus 4 doesn't (camera, etc)
  • I'm sticking with one platform

Negatives:
  • Android is getting a little old to me and the Galaxy S4 might bore me even more than an iPhone 5 (I'm eagerly awaiting Key Lime Pie; the ICS/Jelly Bean look is wearing thin on me)
  • The S4 with the S600 (the one I'll be getting since I live in the states) will not have as good audio quality as the iPhone 5 (internal or external)
  • The Galaxy S4 isn't a huge upgrade over the Nexus 4 and could even be considered a "needless purchase" (not that I really care; I make a ton of those)

Option two - Keep Nexus 4 and buy an iPhone 5:
Benefits:
  • I get to keep up with the two largest mobile platforms
  • When I finally get a Mac Mini, I'll have integration with it
  • The apps are great
  • Audio quality is great
  • Build quality is amazing
  • I won't have to wait for updates through the carrier
  • I could keep up with Android through my Nexus 4
  • The battery life is probably longer than the S4's despite having a smaller battery
  • iOS is really smooth and browsing is honestly a pleasure (not that it's not on Android; I just find it to be a bit better on the iPhone 5)
  • If I end up hating it, I can sell it and buy a Galaxy S4 (I would buy a 64gb iPhone 5, so it would definitely cover the cost of the S4)
  • If I end up loving it and want to buy the next model, I can sell it on eBay at an 85% resale value (great thing about Apple products)

Negatives:
  • The iPhone 5 is six months old (I would have to sell it on eBay for the next model pretty soonish)
  • I'd maybe have to rebuy some apps
  • I would sort of be be betraying Android, an operating system that I truly love
  • I'd have to find a way to wifi-tether (but this might be a problem on a carrier version of the S4, also)

Anyway, can anyone help me out with my decision? And please don't say anything like "Get the S4! iPhones suck!" Actually observe what I have written above and help me decide what the best choice for me is. Because right now I am ridiculously confused and have no idea what I should use my upgrade on. Thanks!

Last edited:

Lanhoj

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Re: Buy Galaxy S4 or stick with Nexus 4 and buy iPhone 5?

I have have the N4 & iPhone 5 but they won't stop me from getting an S4.

Depends what you can afford IMO. If you can, get the S4 then sell the N4 & get the iPhone 5S in a few months...then sell the S4 & get the Nexus 5.
Personally I keep my devices but looking at my pile makes me question myself & why I don't sell older devices to do it the way I described you should do, LoL.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site

Seems to me like you are already made up your mind. You have way more benefits with one over the other. Option 2 is your clear answer!

darkoman4

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site

Get Iphone 5. The damn thing has the best resale value in the industry. You can't go wrong even if you decide to sell it.

darkoman4

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site

Depends what you can afford IMO. If you can, get the S4 then sell the N4 & get the iPhone 5S in a few months...then sell the S4 & get the Nexus 5.
Personally I keep my devices but looking at my pile makes me question myself & why I don't sell older devices to do it the way I described you should do, LoL.

I keep all my phones too except iPhones. They go to my wife and kids and in that order.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site

I have Nexus 4 for personal use and given to me from my employer as a work phone. Yes, the iPhone is an amazing piece of hardware and I agree with comments on the sound, apps and I'd say the screen on the iPhone 5 is better than any Android phone from last year. Also, for whatever reason, Gmail and Google Maps are much better on the iPhone than they are on Android. Maybe they're cooking up a new version for Android, but currently the iOS ones are much better imo.

Honestly, I'd say keep the N4 and grab the iPhone 5. Nexus is dirt cheap and iPhone 5 would have better resale value than any Android phone if you feel like you want to sell it further down the track.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Seems to me like you are already made up your mind. You have way more benefits with one over the other. Option 2 is your clear answer!

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums.

Jaimeg123prmt

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site

Same here. I have my Evo 4g, s2, and soon, the s3.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

Its better to have the Nexus 4 and Galaxy S4....you would have 2 top phones which you can easily exchange information with (Android Beam), and both will be synced with your Google account, definitely much easier

jtc276

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site

Its better to have the Nexus 4 and Galaxy S4....you would have 2 top phones which you can easily exchange information with (Android Beam), and both will be synced with your Google account, definitely much easier

But neither will sync with my eventual Mac and current iPad. Oh, god...I've become such an Apple user lately.

apollooff320

May 16, 2010
Visit site

dumb on so many levels...no point of having 2 android phones which pretty much do the same thing. I would rather own ios and android.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

dumb on so many levels...no point of having 2 android phones which pretty much do the same thing. I would rather own ios and android.

Not dumb at all, both android but different features
- One could be for phone, other for personal use (Gaming, Skype, etc.)
- Syncing would be easier, just incase the OP wanted to switch phones for any reason
- One has a MicroSD slot just incase OP wanted to use it for music or as an MP3 player
- Galaxy S4 bigger screen for personal usage (movies, gaming, etc.)

Me personally I would get the GS4, or atleast wait for the iPhone 6

toujours_frais

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site

Better not make your decision til after iOS7 is released... Scott Forstall who made iOS6 was really a dumbass

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site

Well I have an iP5 right now and while its a great phone the screen is (for me) just too small. I like iOS and Android OS equally so either works, but the lack of screen is just a big issue for me. GS4, but I need a minimum of 32GB internal with my 64GB microSD card on board. Come on Verizon.

iPhone 5_to_GS4

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site

Well. I am bored with my iphone 5. I bought Iphone 4 to play real racing and have been upgrading every year. and now real racing is available on androids also. I need bigger screen and multi window.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site

I agree with the OP about the music player, I like having a nice sound. I have a Iphone 5, GS3 and, N4. The Iphone 5 has a nice sound for music but so does the S3. You can use the EQ with the stock music app or download Poweramp and make it sound even better than the Iphone.

The Nexus 4 is worst of the three for playing music. It sounds nice with Poweramp but not so good with Google music, even with the EQ. The S3 sounds good with either.

I will probbaly get the S4 and sell the other two. I also have a Oppo Find five, which handles music like the S3.

MAXXTX

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site

I thought the HTC IS going to get the 64GB version. S4 will get it im sure. also if you combine the 64GB S4 with a 64GB SD card. well you do the math :cool:

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
You might end waiting longer and being more conflicted. It is rumored that the i5s is due out in July.

At the end of the day, if you keep waiting for the next big thing, you will never be happy. Get the device that meets your needs by testing them yourself. I personally have an issue with any device maker that has such tight controls over their ecosystem that they don't pay attention to the needs of the user and dictate the needs for the consumer as if they know better.

All of the high end smartphones are well made and designed. You are not going to find one device that has the best premium design with even better performance, speed and features. I prefer performance, speed and features over design. I also like the option to tweak my device and have the flexibility to add storage or a fresh battery.

Samsung has chosen to appeal more to those that value performance over style. It is a given that design is a good clear weakness but not a fatal one. Slap a Defender case on the GS4 and now we are down to substance over style. They fit a larger, higher definition display with an improved penile matrix, though I would have preferred an HD LCD display, into the same dimensions as the GS3. The device is thinner than the GS3 but has a larger battery to power the improved display and internals. The thinness even with a large Defender case will be even more pocketable.

Their focus on the user experience is what made me transition to Android instead of Apple from BlackBerry. The additions and improvements to the Nature UX skin will only help to improve the experience for existing users but also help the new user. Since the device has not yet been released, it is pointless to bemoan all of its shortcomings of which there are a few as hopefully some will addressed in the successor of the GS4.

None of us has the magic answer and you are right to continue your research and test drove all the devices in person.

Sent From My Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 Tablet

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781