Help with switching from iPhone 5 to Galaxy S4!!!

sithjedi333

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
Hi everyone,

Great forum here. After using the iPhone 3GS, 4, 4S and 5, I'm going to make the switch to Android. I think iOS is boring and love the screen size of the Galaxy S and Note series. I'm looking for some advice on making the change:

1) I have a mint 64GB white iPhone 5. What's the best way to get my money back, is it eBay? I am active on eBay but I hear a lot of horror stories about buyers claiming the box was empty and otherwise ripping the seller off. I have sold smartphones before through Amazon tradein and Ebay instant sale but the values aren't as good for the unit I have. Any advice would be appreciated.

2) I'm on Verizon and will be buying off contract (full price). Where is the best place to buy a S4 or Note 2? Amazon, or directly from Verizon, or somewhere else? Is there a reliable vendor that sells new units for a discount from list price? Also I read somewhere that if you don't buy from Verizon or an approved vendor, they can block the phone from getting activated on the network, is this true? For instance, if I buy the International Exynos version that we now know will work with LTE, can I activate it on Verizon?

Thanks!

Last edited:

iPhone 5_to_GS4

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
I would put it on Craigslist as well as ebay. When I sell on ebay/paypal, I lose about 9% in fees and there is shipping/ packaging cost. If you sell locally, you can avoid all those fees/costs.

I have about $40 in rewards from BestBuy so I will be buying from them.

sqa4life

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
1+ for selling it on CL.
I sold most of my stuffs on CL and accept cash only. No shipping or paypal.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Suda

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Hi everyone,

Great forum here. After using the iPhone 3GS, 4, 4S and 5, I'm going to make the switch to Android. I think iOS is boring and love the screen size of the Galaxy S and Note series. I'm looking for some advice on making the change:

1) I have a mint 64GB white iPhone 5. What's the best way to get my money back, is it eBay? I am active on eBay but I hear a lot of horror stories about buyers claiming the box was empty and otherwise ripping the seller off. I have sold smartphones before through Amazon tradein and Ebay instant sale but the values aren't as good for the unit I have. Any advice would be appreciated.

2) I'm on Verizon. Where is the best place to buy a S4 or Note 2? Amazon, or directly from Verizon, or somewhere else? Is there a reliable vendor that sells new units for a discount from list price? Also I read somewhere that if you don't buy from Verizon or an approved vendor, they can block the phone from getting activated on the network, is this true? For instance, if I buy the International Exynos version that we now know will work with LTE, can I activate it on Verizon?

Thanks!

1. I'd probably say Craigslist just so you can cut out the middle man and keep 100% of the profit on the phone. If that's not an option then you might have to take a big loss on the phone going with Amazon or Gazelle unless you put it up on eBay. eBay doesn't have instant sale anymore you'll have to do the auction bid. Like everyone else said, try it on Craigslist and eBay first. And yeah, I've heard of buyers doing that too. Makes me weary of putting my Note 2 up for sale there.

2. I'd say straight from Verizon, mostly because you get the phone that day instead of having to wait on shipping and handling. No vendors give discounts that the retailers of the phone aren't already giving, both Amazon and Verizon are charging $149 for the Note 2 w/ 2 yr. contract and they'll probably get one last price drop right before the Note 3 comes out. Idk about the S4's price, it'll probably stay the same for a few months after launch and drop right around the time the iPhone 5S comes out like the S3 did last year. Not sure about Verizon although I have heard they do some shady stuff, but I do know that the international version of the S4 won't work on Verizon. AT&T, T-Mobile, and the rest of the world will have GSM versions of the S4 while Sprint and Verizon are really the only retailers left using CDMA frequencies. If you were on AT&T or T-Mobile it would work though.

How much are you planning on selling the phone for if you don't mind me asking?

Last edited:

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Hi everyone,

2) I'm on Verizon. Where is the best place to buy a S4 or Note 2? Amazon, or directly from Verizon, or somewhere else? Is there a reliable vendor that sells new units for a discount from list price? Also I read somewhere that if you don't buy from Verizon or an approved vendor, they can block the phone from getting activated on the network, is this true? For instance, if I buy the International Exynos version that we now know will work with LTE, can I activate it on Verizon?

Thanks!

I can suggest contacting Used Macs, Refurbished Macs, Buy and Sell | mac of all trades and if your phone is in very good condition they are showing them at $500 for your model. I have had great experience with selling them my outgoing Mac related hardware and they are a very reputable place to deal with. Plus you don't lose money on eBay listing fees, etc.

sithjedi333

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
Thanks everyone. I will list on CL as well. Some of the values on eBay are in the 800-1000 range. I will probably list it with a $300 starting bid.

Also I should have mentioned that I will be buying off contract at full price, so I'm looking for the best but reliable alternative to Verizon. I do need Verizon LTE to work though.

Thanks again.

Last edited:

Suda

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Oh you're buying it unlocked? In that case try Amazon, Negri Electronics, and Expansys they're good places to buy unlocked phones. Negri and Expansys are your best bets if you want the international version. If LTE is important to you though I wouldn't bother, just get the Snapdragon version.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
For an iPhone 5 64GB the starting price should not be less than $500, I would say $300 you are leaving way too much money on the table and Craig's list is a sketchy place to sell. But good luck, I know I am looking to sell once I know what Verizon's position is on the GS4 and AT&T releases the details on their GS4 and HTC One (still have to consider it, though its not likely).

kinster02

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
+100 on Craiglist, it's quick and easy. Just remember to meet it a public place that you feel comfortable at and know your surroundings.

Gathomblipoob

May 6, 2010
Visit site
I agree with using Craigslist along with the aforementioned caveat about meeting in a public place. This worked very well with selling my iPhone 4S. I'm planning on evaluating either the S4 or the One, so I'm keeping my selling options open as well.

felloffthetruck

Trusted Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
I'm in this same exact boat, need to purchase the S4 at full price as I'm still on the 2 year contract with the Verizon/iPhone 5.
Wonder what the full price will be for the 32GB Verizon model? Any guesses?

zapfrog

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
O know every time I sold what ever model of iPhone my wife and I had on eBay we got top dollar even after the fees. Allowed us to make the switch in the end.

tewest86

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
For a 64 gb you should get at least $575. I use swappa.com. I'm suprised more ppl on here don't know about Swappa. I've sold 5 phones on there. Cheaper than eBay. You pay $10 from your sale price. Check it out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci