What's the deal with the GS4 and Daydream?

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Before I posted this I did a forum search for Daydream and found nothing.

So I am wondering, in all the videos I have seen so far, there was no sign of Daydream, I am guessing it doesn't fit into what Samsung had in mind for a user interface? I guess that means GS3 and Note 2 users won't get it in their updates? The only full review video, if you can call it that, was the one from Phonearena. I am not the biggest fan of the reviews there because for the most part the guy just talks and plays with the phone and doesn't really go into features. In his "review" I never even got to see the lock screen. This is why I like true user reviews, they are the ones that go into the nitty gritty and show every change they can find and don't just cover all that stuff we saw already during the phones announcement.

Anyways, no Daydream? Is that correct?

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Before I posted this I did a forum search for Daydream and found nothing.

So I am wondering, in all the videos I have seen so far, there was no sign of Daydream, I am guessing it doesn't fit into what Samsung had in mind for a user interface? I guess that means GS3 and Note 2 users won't get it in their updates? The only full review video, if you can call it that, was the one from Phonearena. I am not the biggest fan of the reviews there because for the most part the guy just talks and plays with the phone and doesn't really go into features. In his "review" I never even got to see the lock screen. This is why I like true user reviews, they are the ones that go into the nitty gritty and show every change they can find and don't just cover all that stuff we saw already during the phones announcement.

Anyways, no Daydream? Is that correct?

cant you just download it from google play/?

Mooem

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Daydream is on the GSIV along with lock screen widgets (modified or enhanced in TouchWiz fashion). I'd wager that most of the latest stock Jelly Bean features will be there in some fashion.

GSIV_Daydream.png

Mooem

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
How does this function work?

Sent From My Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 Tablet

It basically acts like a "screen saver" of sorts which turns on when the phone/tablet is idle or docked. It is capable of displaying the time, information, weather, photos, news, etc. Some third party apps, like Flipboard, take advantage of it with their own content.

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Oh, nice screenshot, didn't even see that before. It will be interesting to see how it works on the GS4, looking forward for the first USER reviews of the phone.

I'd be scared to use the phone as a bedside clock out of fear of causing harm to the screen.

roytheodd

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
Daydream is one of my favorite features on my Nexus 7 tablet so when I got my S4 I was eager to make it work on it too. Daydreams are simple, as Mooem said they are basically screen savers that are triggered when you charge or dock your device. I have a dock for both my tablet and phone, so that?s when my devices trigger.

Android devices come with only a couple of daydreams pre-loaded, so you?ll need to visit the Play Store to find more. Some apps ? like Flipboard, Currents, and AppyGeek ? come with a daydream mode. Some live wallpapers do too. Some daydream apps only function as daydream apps. There really aren?t enough apps with a daydream mode available right now and I?m not sure that consumers are asking developers for them either. Personally I think they?re one more enjoyable distinction that comes with Android OS. Kittehface Software seems to have the most daydreams available.

As for my review: the Galaxy S4 looks beautiful showing off its daydreams.

To enable, go under your Display settings and set Daydream to ON. Here's a screenshot of the Display settings.

To select a daydream, go under your Daydream settings and select the one you'd like. Some of them have additional settings that can be set from this screen. Here's a screenshot of the Daydream settings.

Here's a picture of my rig at work.

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
I downloaded one called Prismatic Free. The developer wasn't much help as to what others are also daydreams but this one is nice. I wish Daydreams worked as a screensaver though and came on in between your screen off time and phone locked time.

Sent from the Superuser account on my newly rooted Sprint Galaxy Nexus

lorintim

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
I have a Verizon s3. It was just updated to 4.3 but I do not see anything about Daydream on the Display Page. Drippler seems to indicate that it is there, at least they give instructions for using it. Does anyone know anything about this?