Some advice for a Berry user looking to switch to the S4:

kwitel

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for reading:

This will be my first Android phone and I am very much looking forward to the switch.
That said, I am on Verizon and no one seems to know when the s4 will be coming out. Further, my Berry is falling apart and I need to make the switch sooner than later.
My question:
I have two upgrades that I can use; should I just get the S3 right now (which will allow me an acclimation/testing period) and then switch to the S4 when it comes out (and maybe sell the S3 on Ebay?
Or, should I consider maybe switching carriers to get the S4 sooner? I could alos just wait patiently for the S4 release.

I realize this is more about personal preference than anything else, but am curious as to what others opinion's might be nonetheless.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for reading:

This will be my first Android phone and I am very much looking forward to the switch.
That said, I am on Verizon and no one seems to know when the s4 will be coming out. Further, my Berry is falling apart and I need to make the switch sooner than later.
My question:
I have two upgrades that I can use; should I just get the S3 right now (which will allow me an acclimation/testing period) and then switch to the S4 when it comes out (and maybe sell the S3 on Ebay?
Or, should I consider maybe switching carriers to get the S4 sooner? I could alos just wait patiently for the S4 release.

I realize this is more about personal preference than anything else, but am curious as to what others opinion's might be nonetheless.

Well if you aren't desperate for a new phone, I would get the S3 with some cheap accessories, then sell it and get the S4, Im sure it won't be long after the other carriers before Verizon gets it, plus you could make some extra money

On the other hand, if you do not like Verizon for whatever reason, you might as well switch carriers

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
As a former BlackBerry owner who transitioned to Android when the GS3 was released, wait for the GS4. The features and performance will be worth the wait. The Z10 did not do enough to compel me to switch back.

As far as carriers are concerned, my preference is AT&T. It also depends upon where you live. I have been with AT&T for more than 18 years.

Sent From My Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 Tablet

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
Why don't you check the classifieds for a used BB or something. Heck, I have one I'm thinking of dumping - a nice Verizon 9930. So they aren't hard to find. While getting contacts from BB to BB and droid to droid is easy enough, it's not always that easy to go from BB to Android, although my Verizon dealer handled that OK. I rather suspect that it's not simple on purpose.

You might also want to look at the Note 2. Yeah, it's big. But it fits my pants pocket OK even with the Ringke slim case on it, and even wearing dress slacks. It's faster than the S3 as well - at least the US variant of the S3 anyway.

But know what? I looked at the S3 on Amazon Wireless. It's $10 frikkin bucks with a plan!!!! How can you beat that? I mean yeah, it's a S3 and not an S4, but just because it is single integer impaired doesn't mean it's not worth owning. If you take that S3 and put it next to your BB, you will be awestruck at the difference. I was in love with my 9930 - I could almost have had a physical relationship with it. But the S3 blew me out of the water. So don't hesitate to get one - it may be the smartphone deal of the century.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
^^
Rather than using your upgrade on a phone you don't really want (the S3), I'd say look for an inexpensive BB, or even better a used S3. Then you can find out if you like Android or not. Some BB users just don't seem to be able to adapt to the way Android does things, and go back. If you're one of them (and there's no shame in that--there's a reason we have so many choices), you can use you upgrade on a shiny new BB. If you do like Android, you can use your upgrade on a shiny new S4. In either case, you'll probably be able to sell the S3 for close to what you paid for it.

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
People still use Berry's :eek:

I hate to tell you this, but there is still no phone that handles email and text as well as Blackberry. You can come close - I am using Aquamail and ChompSMS, and that's not too bad. But the native messaging clients on BB are still better. I am going to guess that the Z10 hasn't improved on them. Certainly no one else has - iOS doesn't even come close. And yeah, I know the OS6 and 7 app situation sucks, and the screen on my 9930 is pathetic compared to the Note 2 or S3. All that does is make me wish I could take the best features from BB and put them in to another phone. I'm going to go take a good look at the Z10.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuckm