Galaxy S4 US release date?

randun

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Sprint or T-Mobile are the only two left with so called unlimited data.

Thanks. As I recall though both carriers aren't very well received. That said, there's not much of a choice, eh? :)

Sent From My Samsung Galaxy S III (SGH-I747) Using Tapatalk 2

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Somehow I doubt Samsung is having issues making 16GB & 32GB at the same time. I think its more of a carrier decision to hold off a color, or a memory configuration. I suspect its to get the most out of the "popular" memory size of 16GB for the initial launch and when it hits the stores my hope is we can walk in and get 32GB versions or shortly there after. I am traveling in May and really need to get back on a SMARTphone for work.

I still respectfully disagree. I honestly don't know Samsung's manufacturing process, but it is very possible that they can't make both at the same time, at least not in quantities to satisfy initial orders. A lot of factories with assembly production lines have to make quite a few changes to start rolling out different products, or variations of the same products. My guess is that they do NOT want to be short on supply for the initial rush of launch-day orders -- it's bad PR and can also mean a heavy loss of sales for them. I would then assume that once those initial orders are fulfilled, then they'll start to diversify their production a bit and get the other storages/colors out there.

I could be wrong, but with the rate that new phones come out, that just seems more likely than, "let's just give the 16GB one for now, we'll 'save' the higher capacity ones for later"

Well, I just got a nice little shocker from AT&T!

Was talking with a senior-level staff member who assisted me when I upgraded to the S III as I had a grandfathered data plan & low-level staffers wouldn't honor it back then.

I reached out to this person to be proactive prior to pre-ordering an S4. I was informed that AT&T is phasing out all unlimited data plans including grandfathered ones like mine!

Obviously I'm now quite ticked! Does anyone know of other 'reputable' U.S. carriers who are still offering unlimited data plans?

For me, it boils down to principles as I use Wi-Fi for ~95% of all data-driven functions.

Sent From My Samsung Galaxy S3 (SGH-I747) Using Tapatalk 2

Same situation for us Verizon folks with unlimited data. Had to buy my S3 at full retail to keep my existing plan -- upgrading at subsidized price and they force you to change to tiered data plan.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I still respectfully disagree. I honestly don't know Samsung's manufacturing process, but it is very possible that they can't make both at the same time, at least not in quantities to satisfy initial orders. A lot of factories with assembly production lines have to make quite a few changes to start rolling out different products, or variations of the same products. My guess is that they do NOT want to be short on supply for the initial rush of launch-day orders -- it's bad PR and can also mean a heavy loss of sales for them. I would then assume that once those initial orders are fulfilled, then they'll start to diversify their production a bit and get the other storages/colors out there.

I could be wrong, but with the rate that new phones come out, that just seems more likely than, "let's just give the 16GB one for now, we'll 'save' the higher capacity ones for later"

Same situation for us Verizon folks with unlimited data. Had to buy my S3 at full retail to keep my existing plan -- upgrading at subsidized price and they force you to change to tiered data plan.

Seems odd that Apple can handle making 16/32/64GB versions of any phone configuration and they only do what a 10-14 day pre-order window so really Samsung shouldn't have such issues. Besides the whole point of pre-orders is to know what you need at each location for launch. You can supply limited stock of 32GB and if you run out they can try to cross sell, down sell to another phone or storage capacity.

Either way I am sitting on my current lines until I can get it and if AT&T doesn't get their act together they may not get anything.

randun

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Seems odd that Apple can handle making 16/32/64GB versions of any phone configuration and they only do what a 10-14 day pre-order window so really Samsung shouldn't have such issues. Besides the whole point of pre-orders is to know what you need at each location for launch. You can supply limited stock of 32GB and if you run out they can try to cross sell, down sell to another phone or storage capacity.

Either way I am sitting on my current lines until I can get it and if AT&T doesn't get their act together they may not get anything.

Spot on my friend. I couldn't have come up with such a succinct & descriptive commentary. Thanks!

randun

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Found out two items from DMs with AT&T:

1. The link posted directing users to the 32 GB variant was a mistake & the official line is that the 32 GB variant is "coming soon".

2. As of this time you will be allowed to keep the unlimited data plan.

moke

Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Man Verizon never pleases their customers at allll

you just need to see it from VZW standpoint of wanting customers to be pleased with them...it is subtle but puts the expectation on the customer's side of the net, and less effort or expense on the company's side.

if you are under contract, we 'have you', and you are 'pleased'.
if you pay your bill, you are 'satisfied' and thus can be seen as 'pleased'.

do you think VZW cares about whether or not you are whistling show-tunes when you pay your bill? (hint-no they don't)
they just care if the money is there when you give it to them, or if they can track you down if it is not.

they are a business. they are in business to make a profit. if businesses truly are people, then i guess you are dealing with someone with an obsessive focus on getting money,and will do many things in order to do so...if some of those things give you benefit, or a 'good feeling', well that cannot be helped.

this is true of businesses in general.

btw, att stores allow upgrades within the calander month of the existing upgrade date. to whit- if you have an upgrade eligibility date of the 15th, the store manager may authorize you on the first.

call center upgrades have a little more flexibility, but cannot note an upgrade override on an account that the would be used in-store (Apple/Bestbuy/Walmart...etc)

moke

Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
id like to know this too.

the 16GB is what is to be moved first, it is seen as current inventory, with the 32 and 64 GB versions moved to the back of the shelf.

get as much of these babies moved out into market, and then those who REALLY want the 32 or 64GB versions, let's have them add a line of service if we can...

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Sprint or T-Mobile are the only two left with so called unlimited data.

Thanks. As I recall though both carriers aren't very well received. That said, there's not much of a choice, eh? :)

you just need to see it from VZW standpoint of wanting customers to be pleased with them...it is subtle but puts the expectation on the customer's side of the net, and less effort or expense on the company's side.

if you are under contract, we 'have you', and you are 'pleased'.
if you pay your bill, you are 'satisfied' and thus can be seen as 'pleased'.

do you think VZW cares about whether or not you are whistling show-tunes when you pay your bill? (hint-no they don't)
they just care if the money is there when you give it to them, or if they can track you down if it is not.

they are a business. they are in business to make a profit. if businesses truly are people, then i guess you are dealing with someone with an obsessive focus on getting money,and will do many things in order to do so...if some of those things give you benefit, or a 'good feeling', well that cannot be helped.

this is true of businesses in general.

btw, att stores allow upgrades within the calander month of the existing upgrade date. to whit- if you have an upgrade eligibility date of the 15th, the store manager may authorize you on the first.

call center upgrades have a little more flexibility, but cannot note an upgrade override on an account that the would be used in-store (Apple/Bestbuy/Walmart...etc)

Yeah, but when thinking about competition with other carriers who have pretty much the same structure, I'd assume they want to strive to be the best, but its more like they don't care to satisfy the customers but to satisfy their company...which is what it comes down to in the long run but their customers in a way run the company, and they have to satisfy them for them to be liked. T-Mobile satisfies their customers now by eliminating contracts, and I'm sure they will get a whole lot of customers for that. Honestly Verizon being last and slow on everything is enough to make me switch carriers to something else.

randun

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, but when thinking about competition with other carriers who have pretty much the same structure, I'd assume they want to strive to be the best, but its more like they don't care to satisfy the customers but to satisfy their company...which is what it comes down to in the long run but their customers in a way run the company, and they have to satisfy them for them to be liked. T-Mobile satisfies their customers now by eliminating contracts, and I'm sure they will get a whole lot of customers for that. Honestly Verizon being last and slow on everything is enough to make me switch carriers to something else.

Have to agree. T-Mobile is looking better & better.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I am holding fast on the 32GB and my expectation is AT&T will launch it in May just when is the question and hopefully before Verizon does.

randun

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
The Samsung galaxy s4 price is still mystery from the releasing date because there is no any official price from Samsung of this giant.T mobile opening orders on April 24th for an upfront cost of $149.99 as part of a 24-month plan. Sprint offering the smartphone for $249.99 on a two-year agreement.
via: http://new-samsunggalaxys4.com/samsung-galaxy-s4-price-with-contract/

This article seems to be comparing apples to oranges. The $149.99 price matches the 16 GB variant & the $249.99 matches the 32 GB variant. The 16 is the only one being offered by any carrier for pre-order.

Katy Lo

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
AT&T

You can only pre-order at AT&T now. The 16GB version costs $449.99 with one-year contract and $199.99 with a two-year contract. The 32GB version costs $249.99 with a two-year contract. By signing up now, the phone will be shipped on 30th April.

Sprint

The S4 will be available for sale on 27th April in Sprint. The pre-orders will be available form now on. The 16GB version of Galaxy S4 costs $249.99 with a two-year contract. There is a good news to those new Sprint subscribers. For switching the service from another provider, customers will get an additional $100 credit. So, you can get the S4 for just $149.99. As to distinguishing its services from AT&T and Verizon, Sprint will offer unlimited data plan for the Galaxy S4.

T-Mobile

You can buy T-Mobile?s Galaxy S4 on April 24 through its website. There is an contract-free ?Un-carrier? plan, the S4 costs just $149.99 up front with additional monthly device payments.

Source:
DSstyles Blog | Samsung Officially Announces Galaxy S4 On Seven U.S. Carriers, Available Next Week

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zif835