Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree54Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Gorilla Glass 3 - Do we still need screen protecters?

The new S4 will come with Gorilla Glass 3, but do we still need screen protecters? As well as a new case i was on the hunt for a new screen shield, ive always used zagg on my iphones and on my last iphone i used the Zagg HD, but they do take something away from the screen. Recently theres been the new Zagg Extreme which does look amazing in the videos and im sure it will take some punishment in the real world too, but i bet it takes the clarity away from the screen.

Surely this new screen in the S4 should be strong enough to handle everyday hairline-annoying scratches and hopefully some more. Is it worth getting additional screen protection? For the first time ever im thinking i can handle this thing naked to enjoy its full 1080 HD glory.

Just out of curiosity what is the best screen protecter out there, if i was ever to buy another id like to go for an anti-glare type, any suggestions?

Default Re: Gorilla Glass 3 - Do we still need screen protecters?

I'm all about the zagg HD or extreme for the price but I did have a sgp glast on a 4S and it is by far best thing I've used just expensive
    Sent from my RM-845_nam_vzw_100 using Board Express
    matt71189 likes this.

I'm really curious as what people do to their phones to get all these hairline scratches. I've never used a screen protector on my iPhone 3GS or 4S, and definitely don't plan to on my S4 when i get it. Those two iPhones definitely didn't have Gorilla Glass 3 and they did just fine.

In my opinion i've never needed it. Now i watch that i never stick my keys in the same pocket as my phone, but thats more for comfort of too many things in your pocket rather than fear of scratching my screen.
    Topgonzo likes this.

ROM
    Fission 2.5.7BE

Never used a SP, never had the need.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I will never use a screen protector I treat my phone with care...

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums
    Topgonzo likes this.

Global Posts
    5,141 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock .4.1.1

For a few dollars I will put a nice Spigen SP on my GS4, its a lot cheaper than putting in an insurance claim or getting the glass replaced. Even Gorilla Glass 3 will scratch under the wrong circumstances.
    GrooveRite and Haalcyon like this.

I always use some type of screen protector. No matter what material its not 100% scratch resistant. Just having some dust or dirt on you finger can scratch it. Why not protect your investment.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums
    GrooveRite and Haalcyon like this.

i've had an i5 since release last year and haven't put a screen protector on it and have zero issues/scratches. unless your hard on your phone, i really dont think you need them anymore.

Global Posts
    620 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I too am in the no protector crowd. Never have I had one and doubt with the ever improving tech I ever will. No I don't want scratches to impair my view but I find it odd to always impair my view to prevent a scratch that might happen. I call it the new bicycle syndrome, when new you use the kick stand. Six months later you hop off and throw it down.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by 2:
    ToddK, clintw22, MERCDROID and 2 others like this.

Global Posts
    174 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cigar_Junkie View Post
    I too am in the no protector crowd. Never have I had one and doubt with the ever improving tech I ever will. No I don't want scratches to impair my view but I find it odd to always impair my view to prevent a scratch that might happen. I call it the new bicycle syndrome, when new you use the kick stand. Six months later you hop off and throw it down.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    Lol, good bike analogy.
    Thanked by:
    skidoo 
    qxr likes this.

Global Posts
    5,945 Global Posts

I alternate, though I've more frequently gone without. It's a question of weighing the risk of pitting and scratching (and of course whether you care about pits and scratches) versus the certainty of finger grease on the protector. If you use a holster or a pocket pouch, it's a good bet you can go without. If you just use a TPU bumper case, then a screen protector is not a bad idea. Flip covers are somewhere in between. And if you use one of those belt-and-suspenders Otterbox or Seidio case and holster combinations, you probably can't read this anyway because the visor on your hazmat suit has probably fogged up.

Geez, they must kill an awful lot of gorillas to make all this glass. SAVE THE ANIMALS!

I also was part of the no screen protector crowd and never bothered to use one since i had my s2. But trust me, when you do get that first scratch or scratches like I did you will think twice. Now I will always use one.
    Thanked by:
    qxr 

Global Posts
    4,576 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Yep, the SP's are cheap and worth it to me. Just get a good one - you get what you pay for.
    Golfdriver97 and qxr like this.

Global Posts
    620 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Truth be known, no screen protector but right pocket, screen inward, no keys and empty pocket.
    The toilet paper roll must also feed over the top, never under, it that important!
    Thanked by 3:
    ToddK, sdfntx, Colvin99 and 3 others like this.

Global Posts
    699 Global Posts

As for the toilet paper - obviously you have never had children or a cat that likes to unroll it by spinning it! That's why the toilet paper should be behind - they have a harder time unrolling it that way!
    Thanked by 2:
    qxr likes this.

Global Posts
    620 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Fisack23 View Post
    As for the toilet paper - obviously you have never had children or a cat that likes to unroll it by spinning it! That's why the toilet paper should be behind - they have a harder time unrolling it that way!
    Children yes, no problem. Cats, never! Still no problem. The wife, well that took some training.
    Haalcyon and qxr like this.

I never really liked screen protectors...I currently and have been using my S3 without a screen protector and the screen feels amazing

I am considering a "Just Like Glass" screen protector...I read some reviews on it and it seems pretty cool!
    MERCDROID and qxr like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cigar_Junkie View Post
    The toilet paper roll must also feed over the top, never under, it that important!
    So true, so true!!!

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk 2

I have no need for one. I don't want to compromise the clarity/brightness of the screen. Never scratched one yet...

For anyone looking for a good screen protector but doesn't want to sacrifice the feel of glass should try the spigen glasT screen protector. Its a thin sheet of glass so you dont lose clarity or sense of the "naked feel." I've had it on my iphone 5 since release and haven't had an issue.
    I'm one of those ppl that still uses a sp because even though i'm usually very careful with my phone there is always that one time when it gets too friendly with my keys or someone else isn't quite as careful.

Amazon.com: SPIGEN SGP SGP10176 GLAS.t SLIM Premium Tempered Glass Screen Protector for Galaxy S4 - 1 Pack - Retail Packaging: Cell Phones & Accessories
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

Ive always tried without first, when i did eventually get a scratch or two i found a good screen protecter always covered them up anyways. Any suggestions for a good anti-glare type? Tempted if anything by the Zagg extreme but wont commit until i can see how clear it really is, but maybe the Samsung range stands up better to everyday scratches than iPhones?

Me personally i always have a "phone" pocket where i dont keep anything except my phone in and im always super careful until i get that dreaded first scratch, just like the bike syndrome mentioned above. Dont know how but i always get scratches.

GG3 will provide a great deal of scratch resistance but it is not armored glass. Even though the Defender has a significant lip that protects well against a face first drop, I would feel better with a barrier for the screen.

Sent From My Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 Tablet

Global Posts
    5,945 Global Posts

I have to recommend iSmooth. If you've been in the Note 2 forum -- and remember, people with N2s are continually writing on their screens with S Pens, which can and do scratch some screen protectors -- you know what I'm talking about. Hands down the best. Whatever you use, just put it on in the bathroom after running a hot shower for a few minutes.

If your going to do a screen protector, do yourself a favor and make it a glass one. They don't f*** up how your screen looks and don't give that nasty screen protector feel.

I'm always torn on screen protectors. I trade phones a lot, and it never fails, if I have a used phone I could keep it in my pocket with sandpaper and be fine, but if I buy a brand new phone I'll have a scratch on that bad boy before I leave the store.
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast