Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By nightelfdruid
  • 1 Post By j510
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Question GS4: Case or no case?

Hello,

Im an ex iphone user and have seen the light, and got past the brainwashing and am looking forward to playing with my new s4. My iphone 5 was naked and due to its "premium finish" and its "aluminum" or whatever casing, its been showing signs of wear and tear just from going in and out of pockets, car dash holders, etc....

as far as going to my first polycarbonate phone in the samsung.... what should i expect as far as wear on the edges, rear casin, or that camera that bulges a bit.... would you guys think it is necessary?

Thanks.

Default Re: GS4: Case or no case?

Of course it's necessary if you want your phone kept in nice shape. I'd rather scratch my case then a 500-700 dollar phone. offer a wide selection and offer what is perhaps the most ultimate in protection. They're really going to bulk up your

The peeps over at have a thread going with pictures and links to a lot of different cases that are coming out for it.

I personally really like the ultra thin cases over at .
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by nightelfdruid View Post
    Of course it's necessary if you want your phone kept in nice shape. I'd rather scratch my case then a 500-700 dollar phone. offer a wide selection and offer what is perhaps the most ultimate in protection. They're really going to bulk up your

The peeps over at have a thread going with pictures and links to a lot of different cases that are coming out for it.

I personally really like the ultra thin cases over at .
    ya i saw that thread over there too, those slim armors are looking amazing! was tempted... then again, was just trying to get a feel for how "sensitive" the samsung's shell is compared to the "premium" crap scratched proned finish of the iphone 5.... god im so over apple...
    ...::: iPhone 5 to eBay, Galaxy S4 in my pocket = WIN 4 ME :::...
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

didnt notice this though! looks cool! i wonder if the "transparent" will give off that cheap plastic look though....

Well I would personally recommend the Otterbox Defender series. It makes my Note II look ridiculous, but I tend to be overly careful with expensive objects. It's nice to just to use it without worrying about scratching it or dropping it. I would at least highly recommend a slim case and a screen protector.
    Topgonzo and JL84 like this.

I would only recommend an otterbox if you want your phone to look like a freakin brick or grenade. Ugly as hell. Get something more low profile with as good protection.

The SGP Neo Hybrid looks hot to me, was very tempted until someone mentioned it makes your phone look like an iphone, which is what im leaving behind and switching to a galaxy for the first time. Apart from the SGP line up cant see any better options, a case should enhance a phones looks. I used to have a speck candyshell on an iphone 4, not the prettiest case but ive dropped that phone from my lap while getting out my van and it didnt bother the phone one tiny bit.

It is all a matter of personal preference. Mine may go commando until the Otterbox Defender is released or at the very least, a decent bumper. If you watch the drop test videos, and those may convince you. The case is not that bulky, and again a matter of personal preference. Check out my review of the Defender case on my YouTube channel.

Sent From My Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 Tablet

I good case Is really imprtant. My girlfriend told me that she want a pink wallet case so I got her this

It is not really pink, more like red but it is the best one I found here:
    So I hope that she will not get mad on me.

I always pick up a silicone case... usually something that cost about $10-15. I've never been a big fan of the Otterbox, or "Manufacturer's case" mostly because they charge too much and the cheap silicone cases work just fine. Most silicone cases cover the back, sides and have a lip covering the edges of the screen... that working very well for most falls.
    Current: HTC One (M8), Pebble, Chromecast
    Retired Device (in order): Samsung Galaxy S4, Droid Razr Maxx, HTC Thunderbolt, HTC myTouch 4G, Blackberry's Bold, 8900 (Curve)
    Flames Wallpaper
    Jerry: "Love, Peace, and Chicken Grease!!!"

FWIW, I have a (nearly) 2 year old Note that has never had a case on it and has almost no scratches on it. And I am not particularly careful with my phones. I really don't think they are needed on a plastic phone unless you are particularly drop prone. Honestly, I'd rather just carry insurance on my phone and pay the deductable if I break it then have my thin, good looking phone covered by a bulky case like an otter box. I do like cases like the Samsung flip cover, but they offer little in the way of actual protection.

The one thing I do think is required is a good, high quality screen protector. Cheap ones make your screen feel and look bad, and I HATE getting a scratch on my screen. Get one made of tempered glass and you are set.

Some people dont like cases, some do. Im a big fan of tbe otterbox.. and by the way I dont think its too much on my note 2. Depending on how much extra protection you want... or how stylish you want your phone to look will prob decide what kind if any case you get.
    With my job I feel a lot better having an otterbox. I really dont wanna test my insurance.
    Hope u enjoy your samsung!

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums

I like cases for my phones. That normally is good for resale value also. Minimal scratches and dings. Also, I always go with a screen protector.

Global Posts
    4,851 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock .4.1.1

Always a case, I like to keep my phones scratch free, got the Neo Hybrid Reventon Yellow on order.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

i took a learning experience with the iphone 5..... crap finish, super sensitive to nicks and dings from breathing on it. looking forward to that slim armor or the air transparency!

Get a diztronic tpu case

To those knocking the Otterbox... I feel much safer knowing my phone is nearly indestructible. If some big scary man tries to mug me, I can knock him unconscious with it and then proceed to call 911. And play robot unicorn attack to calm myself down.

Sended from teh galuksee noat tew.

I've seen some clips of the S cover and to be frank, i kind of like it. I think I'm going to buy one

I'm a clutz so I have to have a case on mine.

Quote Originally Posted by JL84 View Post
    super sensitive to nicks and dings from breathing on it.
    Gaaaah daaaaymn! You melting it!?
    JL84 likes this.
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

Quote Originally Posted by j510 View Post
    Gaaaah daaaaymn! You melting it!?
    The bezel is sh**.... You overtime start to see wear on it and the metal underneath starts to show... Not even from damage. Just from usage...