Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Going from iPhone 5 to S4..

This would be my first android phone. I'm getting kind of tired of apple iPhone, everything is the same. But I've always used apples. What do you think of a S4 for the first android? Debating on pre ordering it and selling my iphone off Craigslist. Thanks for all the help!
    Calidoc likes this.

Default Re: Going from iPhone 5 to S4..

It'll be a huge step up IMO.
    If you can afford it though, I'd say keep the iPhone 5 as a backup in case something happens to your S4.

It is significantly bigger, 4 to 5 inch.
    IOS and Android are different OS's, though won't take long to get around the OS.

Sent from my MZ604 using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    4,532 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Give yourself several days to get used to the device - I converted my wife and daughter from the Iphone to the S3, and soon the S4. My wife says she does miss some things with the Iphone (I have no idea what) but she would never go back to it. Definitely make the switch with an open mind and you'll have no problems.

Global Posts
    263 Global Posts

I owned every model of iphone ever made then switched to a Galaxy S3 and a Note 2,,,and I will be buying the S4 on day one.

The iPhones are really great phones, especially the 5,,,, but after a short time with the S4 your going to discover how much Apple has fallen back in the last few years,,, it's really a bit sad these days to compare the ip5 to the Note 2, GS3 and the upcoming S4.

It takes a small very easy bit of adjustment going from iOS to Android, but after you make the adjustment and get comfortable with Android picking up and playing with an iphone feels like very limited ancient technology.

Anyhow,, don't worry about the switch to Android,,, it's very painless.

Cheers
    Davyo

Global Posts
    212 Global Posts

I am on the iP5 and have my S4 pre-ordered. I am a previous Android user and thought I would give iOS a go as I have a Mac, MacBookAir and iPad. I think that Apple does some stuff really well but the development from other manufacturers means that the extra price of Apple products is fast becoming a waste (that is related to the Macs not the iPhone). It took me a while to realise I miss Android more than what I gained from iOS, I only gained the iPhones fitting into my ecosystem at home better. I really am looking forward to the S4 and the 5inch screen and feeling like I am "home" again. So expect much more of a prescence on this site now
    I wish you luck with whatever you choose. I wouldn't recommend keeping the iPhone as a back up as it is a very expensive back up (Lanhoj did say if you can afford it so that isn't a dig at him). I will definitely be selling my iPhone once I have my grubby little mitts on the S4.
    I am back HOME on the epic Nexus 5!!
    Hiruki91 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Davyo View Post
    I owned every model of iphone ever made then switched to a Galaxy S3 and a Note 2,,,and I will be buying the S4 on day one.

The iPhones are really great phones, especially the 5,,,, but after a short time with the S4 your going to discover how much Apple has fallen back in the last few years,,, it's really a bit sad these days to compare the ip5 to the Note 2, GS3 and the upcoming S4.

It takes a small very easy bit of adjustment going from iOS to Android, but after you make the adjustment and get comfortable with Android picking up and playing with an iphone feels like very limited ancient technology.

Anyhow,, don't worry about the switch to Android,,, it's very painless.

Cheers
    Davyo
    This is so true. Always been an Apple fan and the iPhone was innovative initially, but now it's just getting dated. I truly feel it is the classy form factor thats kept it afloat.
    Hiruki91 likes this.

Global Posts
    34 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Davyo View Post
    this is the one concern i had about switching. i've had an iphone since day one and i was worried that the transition from iOS to Android would be overwhelming, if you will. good to know! thanks davyo!

Just remember it isn't an iPhone, don't get it in the hopes to make it like your iPhone. It's it's own operating system and you will learn a new way, so it takes time. The benefit you will find is you can set up your phone much to your liking, not of the manufacturers. I hear so many people who try to switch and all you hear is every gripe on how they couldn't get it to emulate their iPhone. It would be like me going from Android to iPhone and then ******** about the lack of widgets knowing full well iPhone doesn't use them. I once read a guy who returned his android because it didn't have iMessage and Facetime (disregard the fact you have Google + that can do both), did he really get the Android thinking he'd find those services on the phone? Bottom line is don't go into it with the bias of "my iphone did it this way" and penalize the Android for not doing it "the iphone way" and you'll do fine.
    Thanked by 2:

Quote Originally Posted by SteveISU View Post
    Just remember it isn't an iPhone, don't get it in the hopes to make it like your iPhone. It's it's own operating system and you will learn a new way, so it takes time. The benefit you will find is you can set up your phone much to your liking, not of the manufacturers. I hear so many people who try to switch and all you hear is every gripe on how they couldn't get it to emulate their iPhone. It would be like me going from Android to iPhone and then ******** about the lack of widgets knowing full well iPhone doesn't use them. I once read a guy who returned his android because it didn't have iMessage and Facetime (disregard the fact you have Google + that can do both), did he really get the Android thinking he'd find those services on the phone? Bottom line is don't go into it with the bias of "my iphone did it this way" and penalize the Android for not doing it "the iphone way" and you'll do fine.
    Agreed.

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums.
    dfb8085 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveISU View Post
    Up until about a year ago, it was fair to say the the Android ecosystem was waaaaay behind the Apps offered by Apple. Once the S3 took took off it seemed that Google really caught up and now every major app is not only available in the Play Store but the quality equals that of Apple as well. It will only get better as Android becomes more dominant.
    rion_j and Hiruki91 like this.

for the existing android users: what's the best/recommended messaging app right now? the included messaging app in the S4 is probably good, but i assume what's app might be better since its cross-platform. us iphone users have been pretty spoiled w/ imessage.

Quote Originally Posted by rion_j View Post
    for the existing android users: what's the best/recommended messaging app right now? the included messaging app in the S4 is probably good, but i assume what's app might be better since its cross-platform. us iphone users have been pretty spoiled w/ imessage.
    What's App and Kik are the two off the top of my head.
    Thanked by:
    rion_j 

Quote Originally Posted by rion_j View Post
    Handcent, been using it since my Droid X days. Let's you customize the color of the LED by contact as well as vibration pattern. Wont work on the HTC One however.
    Thanked by:
    rion_j 

Global Posts
    212 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by madlaw1071 View Post
    Handcent, been using it since my Droid X days. Let's you customize the color of the LED by contact as well as vibration pattern. Wont work on the HTC One however.
    I agree, Handcent is what I did use on Android and will go back to using, after checking out the S4 default app of course, this weekend.
    I am back HOME on the epic Nexus 5!!

Quote Originally Posted by coggster View Post
    I agree, Handcent is what I did use on Android and will go back to using, after checking out the S4 default app of course, this weekend.
    If it's anything like the S3's it's gonna suck.
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

Thanks very much ladies and gents! I've been nervous about using my 2-year contract. I hate those things... But I may just do it. The one thing I really like is that you can always upgrade your memory by adding a SD card! But I did notice on ATTs website there's no 32gb model? Is it only going to be a 16? I thought there was a 32. Anyways, yes I've been nervous about the switch cause its two different worlds. Only thing though I've herd it feels kind of cheap with it being a plastic via apple has the glass and such. But that doesn't bother me too much. Does google moniter their apps? Like apple does, in other words just worried about viruses and such. And what do you guys think was the hardest (users who were using th iPhone) thing to do from going to iPhone to andriod or what was the things you had to get used too.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiruki91 View Post
    This would be my first android phone. I'm getting kind of tired of apple iPhone, everything is the same. But I've always used apples. What do you think of a S4 for the first android? Debating on pre ordering it and selling my iphone off Craigslist. Thanks for all the help!
    I'm in the same boat. My S4 is already preordered!
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

Nice! I'm thinking ill preorder today!

Quote Originally Posted by Hiruki91 View Post

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    321 Global Posts

And if you really enjoy the iPhone look it is real easy to emulate. Just drag all of your icons onto your home screens and bam! You have iOS. Lol.

On topic, it is a great phone and I've made arguments before about first time people getting this or the HTC one. I've said the s4 time and time again. Just a great overall phone with a ton of support behind it.
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

Agreed, I'm going to wait till I can see and mess with it in stores or when a friend has one. I'm not sure if its because I've grown up with apple and I'm nervous about the switch. And an AT&T rep told me if I have a iPhone there's not much difference (I didn't think he knows what he's talking about...) but whoever gets one please update ASAP on how they like it and pros vs cons of it vs iPhone

Global Posts
    716 Global Posts

One thing that you may appreciate is that Samsung phones have TouchWiz, which DOES make it easier to move over from other platforms(iOS and webOS). Now, the same thing that makes Android diehards dislike TouchWiz is something that you may find yourself preferring. HTC has Sense which is different in other ways. My point is that for those who love pure Android, a number do seem to dislike what Samsung has done, while others do like it.

I am sure you will love your S4 once it comes in, and welcome to the land of Android.

Quick question...im also coming from am iphone. Whenever i get photos I have to download them. Any way I can change that or is that just how it is with android?
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #25  

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Walker View Post
    Quick question...im also coming from am iphone. Whenever i get photos I have to download them. Any way I can change that or is that just how it is with android?
    I think it's just android and you'll probably have to get used to that :/
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast