Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    78 Global Posts

Default Does the screen have a bluish tint in the whites similar to galaxy s3?

have they improved it? I can't find any close picture comparisons.. Thanks.

Default Re: Does the screen have a bluish tint in the whites similar to galaxy s3?

I've read on another site's review.. forgot which one, maybe engadget, hothardware.. or something, that its no longer bluish like older AMOLEDs
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    78 Global Posts

Default Re: Does the screen have a bluish tint in the whites similar to galaxy s3?

looks like issue may still be there.

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock for now

According to reviews this is gone
    http://m.androidcentral.com/quick-di...us-competition

From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock for now

Quote Originally Posted by bob13bob View Post
    looks like issue may still be there.

http://i.imgur.com/BXUR7hI.jpg
    This picture shows what a censor will see under magnification not what you're eye will see . So that image is misleadibd in that regard.

6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Global Posts
    78 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DroidXcon View Post
    According to reviews this is gone
    Quick display comparison: Samsung Galaxy S4 versus the competition | Android Central

the review addresses mostly sharpness, not white color tinting. In fact, i think your review shows the s4 have the most off-white of the it's comparison (look at white ring around chrome sign)

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock for now

the review addresses mostly sharpness, not white color tinting. In fact, i think your review shows the s4 have the most off-white of the it's comparison (look at white ring around chrome sign)
    Sorry wrong review
    "In fact, the screens overall brightness and color quality is as good as weve seen on any AMOLED display, including the Galaxy Note 2, with no yellow or greenish discoloration in white areas." http://m.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s4-review

And again you can't use a picture of a picture to judge color ,the picture is there to compare sharpness

8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Global Posts
    78 Global Posts

they shoul provide white screenshots, something so easy to show rather than claim.

in their screenshots, gs4 does show tinting in my eyes.

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock for now

Sorry wrong review
    "In fact, the screens overall brightness and color quality is as good as weve seen on any AMOLED display, including the Galaxy Note 2, with no yellow or greenish discoloration in white areas." http://m.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s4-review

And again you can't use a picture of a picture to judge color ,the picture is there to compare sharpness

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock for now

they shoul provide white screenshots, something so easy to show rather than claim.

in their screenshots, gs4 does show tinting in my eyes.
    So you're saying his hands on experience with the device is not authentic. But your picture of a picture vantage point is more accurate?

11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Global Posts
    78 Global Posts

So you're saying his hands on experience with the device is not authentic. But your picture of a picture vantage point is more accurate?

yes, evidence is stronger than someone's subjective opinion.

a simple picture of the phone side by side with others will give us indication of color tinting like many other comparison. If you wanted to get fancy, you could do a nice camera that's with proper whitebalance in controlled lighting environments, something totally unnecessary.

Global Posts
    1,039 Global Posts
    Carrier
    100% AOSP/AOKP wanted.

This picture shows what a censor will see under magnification not what you're eye will see . So that image is misleadibd in that regard.

This is only partially true. I can easily see 'graininess' on the S3. The One X (720p), One (1080p) or iPhone 5 have significantly clearer displays. Your Note 2 has RGB AMOLED is much better than the S3 PenTile AMOLED, but it is still not as clear as LCD. The S4 still uses a Diamond Matrix PenTile. Until Samsung uses uniform subpixels, they will always have inferior clarity displays with inaccurate color reproduction. HTC & Apple make the best displays.

Regardless, I plan on getting the S4. It doesn't mean I shouldn't criticize its shortcomings. Still hoping it has a Wolfson DAC.
    dmmarck likes this.

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock for now

Quote Originally Posted by dreamliner View Post
    This is only partially true. I can easily see 'graininess' on the S3. The One X (720p), One (1080p) or iPhone 5 have significantly clearer displays. Your Note 2 has RGB AMOLED is much better than the S3 PenTile AMOLED, but it is still not as clear as LCD. The S4 still uses a Diamond Matrix PenTile. Until Samsung uses uniform subpixels, they will always have inferior clarity displays with inaccurate color reproduction. HTC & Apple make the best displays.

Regardless, I plan on getting the S4. It doesn't mean I shouldn't criticize its shortcomings. Still hoping it has a Wolfson DAC.
    I was discussing color. I mentioned the photos were meant for sharpness. I work on the team that develops phOLED molecules. Every day I use cameras to read color wavelengths that our eyes can not see. These cameras are painstakingly calibrated and each one is worth in excess of $40k. These cameras give me coordinates that tell ke what color it is ,we do not count on what we are seeing on the screen. A red green or blue on my Monitor would be different on yours.

I doubt any website designed to review cellphones has the set up to accurately give me the color coordinates of a white display. Until they have that setup relying on their point and shoots rather your own eyes is not the way to go as far as color is concerned.

Global Posts
    588 Global Posts

In my opinion only. This is the only downfall with my note 2. Which is amoled screen. Just imagine if Samsung used lcd screen technology to reproduce true natural colors instead if saturated colors.

Sent from my Galaxy Note II

The S4 still uses a Diamond Matrix PenTile. Until Samsung uses uniform subpixels, they will always have inferior clarity displays with inaccurate color reproduction. HTC & Apple make the best displays.
    I'm going to be nit-picky here, so I hope you'll forgive me.

The PenTile arrangement in the S4 is new so saying "still uses" isn't quite accurate. Pentile does not mean inferior clarity unless you are comparing equivalently dense displays. The clarity stops mattering after a certain point as we run into the limits of human vision. Pentile also doesn't mean inaccurate color reproduction (in terms of real-world vision) because our eyes don't see colors (or even spatial arrangements) uniformly.

Also, HTC and Apple don't make displays, but they do buy really good displays.

Quote Originally Posted by jlh73 View Post
    In my opinion only. This is the only downfall with my note 2. Which is amoled screen. Just imagine if Samsung used lcd screen technology to reproduce true natural colors instead if saturated colors.
    The saturated colors are largely a choice by Samsung, similar to how televisions are tuned to look best in the store. It differentiates their product and many people think the increased saturation looks better when seeing the devices side-by-side. Some of the community ROMs have allowed a significant range for adjustment of the Samsung displays.

It is enough of a complaint, though, that the S4 includes a "standard calibration" mode. It'll be interesting to see a HTC One alongside a Samsung Galaxy S4 running in Adobe color mode (I know the reviews have covered it, but it's difficult to tell in photos).

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock for now

Quote Originally Posted by LoganK View Post

The PenTile arrangement in the S4 is new so saying "still uses" isn't quite accurate. Pentile does not mean inferior clarity unless you are comparing equivalently dense displays. The clarity stops mattering after a certain point as we run into the limits of human vision. Pentile also doesn't mean inaccurate color reproduction (in terms of real-world vision) because our eyes don't see colors (or even spatial arrangements) uniformly.

The saturated colors are largely a choice by Samsung, similar to how televisions are tuned to look best in the store. It differentiates their product and many people think the increased saturation looks better when seeing the devices side-by-side. Some of the community ROMs have allowed a significant range for adjustment of the Samsung displays.

It is enough of a complaint, though, that the S4 includes a "standard calibration" mode. It'll be interesting to see a HTC One alongside a Samsung Galaxy S4 running in Adobe color mode (I know the reviews have covered it, but it's difficult to tell in photos).
    ^^^^This

Global Posts
    1,039 Global Posts
    Carrier
    100% AOSP/AOKP wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganK View Post

I don't buy the 'its so dense your eye can't see it' statement. I can easily see the difference between a 4.7" 720 HTC ONE X display and a 4.8" 720 AMOLED S3 display.

I can also see a significant jump in clarity between the 4.7" 720 LCD and the 4.7" 1080 LCD (One X vs One). Every single AMOLED screen I've ever looked at was easily more grainy than it's LCD counterpart.

AMOLED screens also have issues with color gradients.

LCD screens out perform AMOLED in every aspect except black levels. Burn in is even an issue on AMOLED. Its such a poor technology. Very unfortunate.
    Banned

I don't buy the 'its so dense your eye can't see it' statement. I can easily see the difference between a 4.7" 720 HTC ONE X display and a 4.8" 720 AMOLED S3 display.

I can also see a significant jump in clarity between the 4.7" 720 LCD and the 4.7" 1080 LCD (One X vs One). Every single AMOLED screen I've ever looked at was easily more grainy than it's LCD counterpart.

AMOLED screens also have issues with color gradients.

LCD screens out perform AMOLED in every aspect except black levels. Burn in is even an issue on AMOLED. Its such a poor technology. Very unfortunate.
    I agree 100% with post I can also see the difference

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I was saying that at 5", 1920x1080 is getting to the point where you probably won't differences in clarity between different screens. I can certainly believe you see a difference between 720 and 1080 (especially Pentile), but I think we're nearing the end of that advancement.

The new Pentile layout should also look much better for artificial displays (lines and boxes), but may still show some (very) slight issues with diagonal lines that happen to line up incorrectly. Natural content (such as movies and pictures) tend to hide any such visual cues.

Global Posts
    588 Global Posts

I read somewhere that putting a iphone 5 with retina display against the s4 even know the s4 has 100 or so more ppi you would notice that much difference because of the lcd and retina display.

Sent from my Galaxy Note II

i honestly dont think you'll be able to notice any tint with the naked eye. saw this on Droid Life and thought it was interesting:

"Color reproduction on both the AMOLED of the Galaxy S4 and the LCD of the One is excellent to me. With that said, I feel like you get deeper colors which in turn means greater detail in whatever you are viewing with the AMOLED on the Galaxy S4. For example, at full brightness and indoors, the HTC Ones LCD display appears washed out to me, while the Galaxy S4′s AMOLED display only gets better the brighter you go. I think Samsung plays to their strengths in the UI by offering up stock wallpapers that accent the great blues that an AMOLED can display, but its not just there that Im seeing the benefits. From icons to Google Maps to this website, the colors all match what my naked eye sees on any other display or in reality."

Yes, and? Those displays aren't dense enough that you cannot see it, of course. It has to actually be the the higher density to meet "its so dense" part. :P

Anandtech did measure the white point of the galaxy s4:
    "White point is also no longer the crazy 8000K that we saw before, 7000K is commendable for Samsung at this point."

Anandtech also has pictures of the new Pentile matrix.

Edit: I don't want to say I like Pentile AMOLED at all but the S4 appears to have a much better screen compared to the S3 and at some level of density a Pentile matrix really will be invisible to humans. I believe I would prefer a RGB matrix or even better a RGB IPS LCD but I will have to actually see a S4 in person. Pictures of screens usually do not match RL very well in my experience.
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #23  

Global Posts
    78 Global Posts

manufacturers will hid drawbacks in their phone displays by using homescreens of it's better colors. Browsing websites however, there is a lot of white. I don't care about super close zoomed up pics, that's more of indicator of sharpness; i think 1080p is sharp enough. The off white bugs me though.

From Anandtech's review it looks like the S4 has a better white point than the HTC One, given 6500K is "sunlight" and larger numbers are more blue and lower numbers more yellow, S4 = 7020K, HTC One = 8118K.
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #25  

Global Posts
    78 Global Posts

from the anandtech review
    By the numbers the HTC One is better calibrated (lower Delta-E is better in the table) than the One X or DNA, and the color space comes very close to sRGB out of the box. It is demonstrably better than the predecessor in every way, and amazingly gives the iPhone 5 a run for its money in saturation and the GMB color checker card. Inexcusable however is the 8000K+ white point, which is blue, although during use I never have looked at the One and thought wow this is really blue.
    In the "Movie" mode things are better controlled than the Note 2 on the GMB color checker card test, which is the most important one for me. White point is also no longer the crazy 8000K that we saw before, 7000K is commendable for Samsung at this point. Keep in mind that maximum brightness changes in each mode as well as we effectively clamp things, I measured a maximum of 319 nits in Dynamic mode, 311 nits in Movie mode, and 255 nits in Standard, for example.
    Based on the review htc one white should be a lot bluer.... I wonder why it looks whiter in the side by side. I guess we'll have to wait for more side by sides to clarify. Also, according to the review, nexus 4 has the bluest screen at 8500, but from videos, reviews, and pictures; it's well documented many nexus 4 have yellow tint problems.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast