Anandtech: Galaxy S4 doesn't use Snapdragon 600

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Although I do have some pretty strong opinions on this back and forth (in general I agree with Kevin). But Im gonna be quiet.

Can we please, maybe, possibly... Get back to the topic? It's pretty interesting. Jerry, what's your input?

My best guess is that Samsung is getting a newer (read: current) Snapdragon 600 made with a new manufacturing process. Chip makers are always looking for ways to save a few pennies per sheet, and when they can do so they will retool. Slight improvements in the design were of course included.

I'll ask Brian in a day or two after he's had time to rest :)

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Is the one that the GS4 REALLY has slower than the supposed Snapdragon 600? Or is it about the same speed?
Also, why is it that on benchmarks, it scored higher than its rivals when its not even using the Snapdragon 600?

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Ok so everyone got off topic here...

Anyways, I have not read the original article, just the quoted part posted. That would be very interesting to find out they are just using a tweaked pro and not the 600. I read AC review and they did mention it was just overall slower feeling than the HTC one. Could be a valid reason for this....I'm sure someone will break it down here soon and find out what is really going on.

The perceived sluggishness could be that perception, it could be a UI issue, could be the processor as suggested. It does give me reason to ask am I getting what it is stated as having as a processor or if its a reworked older processor well that really doesn't make sense to me. Why would Samsung want to use a reworked older processor, and how would Qualicomm claim its the S600 when it wouldn't be. Marketing or not, it could blow up in their faces.

Podunks

Banned
Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
By definition, a moderator should mediate, which requires neutrality. You are not neutral. Free country, respect your opinions, but you aren't neutral.

Also, you once reminded me I was a troll for referring to someone else as a troll. Thus, by your own standards, by accusing me of trolling you are a troll.

Just saying..

I have no pony in this race, but are you in grade school still? You seem bent on acting immature. That was not intended to be an insult, but an actual question.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
My best guess is that Samsung is getting a newer (read: current) Snapdragon 600 made with a new manufacturing process. Chip makers are always looking for ways to save a few pennies per sheet, and when they can do so they will retool. Slight improvements in the design were of course included.

I'll ask Brian in a day or two after he's had time to rest :)

Jerry, that does suggest Samsung's size does count in getting something different or in this case better or a one off edition just for them. Still a possible modification of the S4 Pro is what concerns me so hopefully this gets resolved by either Samsung or Qualcomm clarifying it rather than us having to guess and wonder.

Regarding plastic being an inferior material, its not. Its more durable, more easily mfg for devices and allows for more design options. I consider what's inside to be the real decision maker on what is a quality device and both the GS4 & HTC One are on par with that.

Gathomblipoob

May 6, 2010
Visit site
I only need to mediate when there are things that require mediation. The role of a moderator is to engage the community and interact. Drive conversation. That does mean that I'm allowed to have an opinion, and that I can state my opinion. You didn't like my opinion, so you decided to attack me in a different, somewhat underhanded, way.

Heheh. I'm a mod on another phone forum and it amazes me how members expect you not to voice an opinion or viewpoint - just moderate. And when you do decide to moderate, they get all butthurt about it. This mainly applies to the "trollish" members.

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
Heheh. I'm a mod on another phone forum and it amazes me how members expect you not to voice an opinion or viewpoint - just moderate. And when you do decide to moderate, they get all butthurt about it. This mainly applies to the "trollish" members.
I also find it amazing how cocky and full of themselves mods can get, hiding behind their powers when someone questions them cause they get all butthurt about it and how much they act like just cause they say something it's true. ;)

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I have no pony in this race, but are you in grade school still? You seem bent on acting immature. That was not intended to be an insult, but an actual question.

If you don't like my posts, feel free to skip them and then report me to the mods like apparently others have done since they can't compete in the arena of ideas.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

I also find it amazing how cocky and full of themselves mods can get, hiding behind their powers when someone questions them cause they get all butthurt about it and how much they act like just cause they say something it's true. ;)

It does go both ways, and sometimes finding the balance is tough. That's why we have a policy that if you're participating in a thread for the sake of discussion then you're not to Moderate in it at all. It's probably the rule I take most seriously, because the last thing you want is a "drunk with power" mod trying to control a conversation with their position instead of their own ideas/facts/thoughts.

I do thoroughly enjoy engaging in thought provoking and informed discussion. Anybody that's seen me around can confirm that, and honestly, I very rarely speak from an uninformed position.

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
What I'd like to know, and this is slightly offtopic, is why a Snapdragon 600 quad core at 1.7ghz is 2-3 times faster than a Tegra 3 quad core at 1.7ghz

Spec for spec, the only difference I can see is the 600 has 2MB L2 cache, whereas the T3 has 1MB of L2 cache.. does 1 extra MB make that much of a difference?

Last edited:

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
That's a good question, but it may not just be the cache, it likely is also how is structured. Curious is those who know more about SoC can speak up on this.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
What I'd like to know, and this is slightly offtopic, is why a Snapdragon 600 quad core at 1.7ghz is 2-3 times faster than a Tegra 3 quad core at 1.7ghz

Spec for spec, the only difference I can see is the 600 has 2MB L2 cache, whereas the T3 has 1MB of L2 cache.. does 1 extra MB make that much of a difference?

Completely different architectures. More efficient and smaller manufacturing processes.

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
This thread seems to be half about the OP and half about semantics on the definition of "moderator" and "troll".

I know we can be more productive than this. :)

Asmodian

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
I don't understand the confusion in this thread? Doesn't Anandtech's guess sound reasonable? A slightly newer version of the part that got called "Snapdragon 600" but not enough newer that marketing bothered coming up with a new name?

Anandtech:
"Digging through the Galaxy S 4 kernel source we see references to an APQ8064AB part. As a recap, APQ8064 was the first quad-core Krait 200 SoC with no integrated modem, more commonly referred to as Snapdragon S4 Pro. APQ8064T was supposed to be its higher clocked/Krait 300 based successor that ended up with the marketing name Snapdragon 600. APQ8064AB however is, at this point, unique to the Galaxy S 4 but still carries the Snapdragon 600 marketing name.

If we had to guess, we might be looking at an actual respin of the APQ8064 silicon in APQ8064AB. Assuming Qualcomm isn't playing any funny games here, APQ8064AB may simply be a respin capable of hitting higher frequencies. We'll have to keep a close eye on this going forward, but it's clear to me that the Galaxy S 4 is shipping with something different than everyone else who has a Snapdragon 600 at this point."

AB is bigger (newer?) than T. :)

Podunks

Banned
Aug 14, 2012
Visit site

Same here... And it is a very entertaining, albeit frustrating double standard.

It will be interesting to see what it actually ships with when people start breaking them down.

stryfe

May 16, 2010
Visit site
The S4 beat the One in damn near every category so what's the big conspiracy? Also, if it wasn't an S600 then it wouldn't be able to do 802.11ac wifi...

bob13bob

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
come on guys, lets stay on course with this discussion, no need for it to be personal.

echoing above, processor architecture is more important than frequency, cache size, etc.