Galaxy S4 or HTC One ... my first smartphone purchase

jensigner

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
I'm ready to take the plunge with first smartphone within one week! My partner got an S3 several months ago and I have (thanks to her) used and tested it extensively. Initially I was thinking S4 which is available here tomorrow, but after talking to some folks and seeing one and previewing some specs (with audio quality a big factor) the HTC One looks very good and competitive. So apart from the glossy info, what factors should I consider? (1) must have all the great DLNA capability that the S3 has and must interoperate with S3 easily (NFC, S-beam or equivalent) (2) great headphone audio and ability to stream from/to network shares (like the S3 can).

archer75

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
The audio quality between the two is about the same. The HTC One has better speakers but if you use headphones they should be the same. At least the qualcomm versions of the phone.

As far as what's important to you either phone would be fine.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I'd say if you are familiar with the S3 and loved it, then you should get the S4, since you would already be familiar with it when you get it, instead of another learning curve with another device. The GS4 has all the same features as the GS3 with many more in store

Here is what a reviewer from CNET stated:

Buy Samsung's Galaxy S4 if you:
-Want the latest and greatest in Android
-Love customizing your interface or want something really pared down with Easy Mode
-Strongly value camera performance
-Thrill at fun extra camera features
-Require a removable battery
-Use a tremendous amount of storage space
-Want to control your TV with your phone
-Can live without a metal body

Skip the Galaxy S4 if you:
-Prize a premium, sophisticated hardware design
-Yearn for a fresh looking Android interface
-Prefer to skip most whistles and bells
-Seek a bargain smartphone

Here is the full review: Samsung Galaxy S4 - CNET Reviews

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I'm ready to take the plunge with first smartphone within one week! My partner got an S3 several months ago and I have (thanks to her) used and tested it extensively. Initially I was thinking S4 which is available here tomorrow, but after talking to some folks and seeing one and previewing some specs (with audio quality a big factor) the HTC One looks very good and competitive. So apart from the glossy info, what factors should I consider? (1) must have all the great DLNA capability that the S3 has and must interoperate with S3 easily (NFC, S-beam or equivalent) (2) great headphone audio and ability to stream from/to network shares (like the S3 can).

This is an intense topic with no right answer no matter what you read or who says what. They are both excellent phones and neither is a mistake.

I have an S3 and it has been the best phone I've ever used, so I am naturally inclined to want the S4.

I am currently using the One during my remorse period with AT&T so I am quite familiar with it.

Making a choice really depends on how and what you use your phone for.

If you value looks and feel, the One is clearly better. It is extremely solid and nice to hold and feel. If you will listen to games/music thru the speakers, the One is the best ever. If you take mostly indoor, dim lit pics, the One is better.

For me, I don't use my phone as a fashion accessory so aluminum versus plastic isnt that important to me and my phone is always on vibrate and I listen to music thru headphones so the main strengths of the One dont suit my usage.

The S4 takes superior pics outdoors, has a larger, equally vibrant display, more bells and whistles(if that's your thing) and will likely have a wider array of cases and accessories available for it. Also, the S4 allows for many more customizations(if that's your thing) whereas the One is very stripped down and bare bones. Again, personal choice.

If you liked the S3, the S4 improves upon it in virtually every area.

jensigner

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for this. After just reading that Android Central S4 review and users comments, it is really refreshing to hear your fair unbiased comments (madlaw1071). I guess audio quality (through headphones, I don't really care about the speaker sound) is secondary for most owners and I didn't see any mention of that in the review. As mentioned elsewhere in another thread, the headphone audio of the S4 is supposed to be excellent. However (and I place this in perspective for the time being), I was a bit alarmed at some comments following the review on the S4 ui (Air Gestures?).

Last edited:

Serial Fordicator

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Instead of getting in all of this bs bickering, I'm not going to tell you what I like. I think you should wait until both are at the nearest store and spend as much time as possible on both deciding which one YOU want.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for this. After just reading that Android Central S4 review and users comments, it is really refreshing to hear your fair unbiased comments. I guess audio quality (through headphones, I don't really care about the speaker sound) is secondary for most owners and I didn't see any mention of that in the review. As mentioned elsewhere in another thread, the headphone audio of the S4 is supposed to be excellent. However (and I place this in perspective for the time being), I was a bit alarmed at some comments following the review on the S4 ui (Air Gestures?).

Take the comments with a grain of salt. Passions run high and their are fan boys and girls on both sides of the spectrum. I can't stress enough that both are great phones and sometimes it's the things that the reviews don't mention that can mean a great deal to a particular user.

For example, the One has an LED status light BUT it only blinks 2 colors, green and amber. By contrast, the S3/S4 allows you to tweak the LED to a variety of colors. I use my status light so I can differentiate among notifications. Red is a text from my wife, quick flashing light blue is work email, green is a facebook message etc. By doing this, I dont have to turn on the screen to know what notifications are waiting for me and thereby I save battery life.

Again, with the One, you can only turn on the phone by using the power button which is located awkwardly for right handers and is flush with the phone. The S3/S4 lets you wake the phone with the home button too, making it much easier.

Reviews rarely mention things like this.

- - - Updated - - -

Instead of getting in all of this bs bickering, I'm not going to tell you what I like. I think you should wait until both are at the nearest store and spend as much time as possible on both deciding which one YOU want.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Great sig!

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for this. After just reading that Android Central S4 review and users comments, it is really refreshing to hear your fair unbiased comments (madlaw1071). I guess audio quality (through headphones, I don't really care about the speaker sound) is secondary for most owners and I didn't see any mention of that in the review. As mentioned elsewhere in another thread, the headphone audio of the S4 is supposed to be excellent. However (and I place this in perspective for the time being), I was a bit alarmed at some comments following the review on the S4 ui (Air Gestures?).

You can always turn them of if you don't want to use them.
The GS4 also has much better battery life

Reformed IOS User

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
I don't think you can go wrong with either.

If you want a replaceable battery and SD card go with the S4

If you want the aluminum shell and better speakers go with the One

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site

I should also point out that if you, like most people, intend on putting a case on your phone, then you completely eliminate one of the big advantages of the One. Again, none of the reviews mention this while they're fawning all over the aluminum case.

jensigner

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
I am heavily leaning to the S4 now, based on a lot of input here, there and everywhere along with my personal taste and usages. However I have also considered a Note 2 which I tried and liked.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I should also point out that if you, like most people, intend on putting a case on your phone, then you completely eliminate one of the big advantages of the One. Again, none of the reviews mention this while they're fawning all over the aluminum case.

Yup so true! I have yet to see a truly unbiased/detailed review except for AC and CNET

moo53

May 5, 2011
Visit site
I honestly think you are going the wrong way about determining which phone you should get. Just about everyone is going to put their own opinion why you should buy an HTC One or Galaxy S4. Biased or not their (our) views will always be swayed on personal taste, which differs from person to person. You already seem like you know what you want, but if you are not 100% positive go play with both phones before making a decision. I will never ask anyone what type of phone I should get because what works for them may not for me. This is why stores have demo units, so you can get a feel of the device before purchasing.

Good Luck!
Anything you choose you will be happy because you chose it based off your needs/wants.

bob13bob

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
both have good enough headphone audio quality.

not sure about speaker quality though.

wait until you can feel how both phones feel in your hand and how the display looks to you. this may help you decide which is right. no reason to rush to order a phone, wait 2 weeks until you can demo them.

Last edited:

jensigner

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
Still pondering this decision. Can anyone having experience with both phones comment on any differences in DLNA streaming performance (important to me) between the S4 and the One? One problem around here is that the S4 will have very limited stock (due to preorders and high demand) and retail outlets usually don't have a demonstrater unit of the newest phones to evaluate. What about return policy? say you have a phone for 3 days and really try it out ... and decide it isn't you thing ... how easy is it to return it?

Last edited:

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Still pondering this decision. Can anyone having experience with both phones comment on any differences in DLNA streaming performance (important to me) between the S4 and the One? One problem around here is that the S4 will have very limited stock (due to preorders and high demand) and retail outlets usually don't have a demonstrater unit of the newest phones to evaluate. What about return policy? say you have a phone for 3 days and really try it out ... and decide it isn't you thing ... how easy is it to return it?

IMO the s4 is the better phone.

Check out an At&t store, they will have both up on display.

Most carriers have a restocking fee if you decide to return, so IMO go play with them and try to make up your mind before buying so you won't have to return. Believe its generally 15%.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Wilbur

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
both have good enough headphone audio quality.

not sure about speaker quality though.

wait until you can feel how both phones feel in your hand and how the display looks to you. this may help you decide which is right. no reason to rush to order a phone, wait 2 weeks until you can demo them.

GSMArena's review was updated using a retail S4 with latest firmware and the S4's audio was superb.

I really like the HTC One's forward facing stereo speakers. I wish the S4 had something like this.

But have first hand experience with both before putting down some hard earned cash. Both are very expensive.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar