[GALAXY S4] BUG THREAD!! Found a bug?

pharaohdagreat

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I had lots of problems with the gallery app as well. This fixed it for me if you want to give it a shot.

Settings>More>App Manager>Swipe over to all>Gallery>Clear data>Clear cache

thanks bro..this looks like it worked for now..ill keep you guys updated if any thing changes

GiantJay

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
So I just read through everything here and a majority of these problems are people not knowing how to use the phone.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

GiantJay

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
I am not sure if its a bug or something that is just the normal for the new SAMOLED displays but I have noticed when I pull up the keyboard on top of a white screen (like say searching on Google Now) the screen kind of changes the contrast and almost kinda flickers. Not like flickers off but just changes a bit. It's not really impeding usability but I dont remember ever noticing that on my GS3. And all adapt settings are off. Screen even does it on standard. The screen also kinda flickered when I used it in direct sunlight. Any ideas? P.S I hope everyone is liking their galaxy s4, I know I am!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

So there is two things this could be, auto brightness is turned on so it adjusts the screen brightness according to light around you, I always turn this off it annoying to me. Or you have the the auto display adjuster feature on which adjusts the colors and picture to whatever you have on the screen. I'm thinking its the second one which is a new feature on the S4.

GiantJay

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone know how to get rid of the eye icon at the top of the screen? I have both smart stay and smart scroll off yet the eye still appears at the top as if they were on.

What about smart pause, there are several eye tracking features on the phone.

seinx

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
So I just read through everything here and a majority of these problems are people not knowing how to use the phone.

So then enlighten them on what to do to fix their problem(s). That's what these forums are here for, for those who need help with their device.

Horshamrebel

May 1, 2013
Visit site
When I go into the GALLERY app, all I get is grey squares instead of the photos that are there, then the app closes.

On the extreme odd time that a photo is recognised in Gallery, I can open it, do absolutely nothing with it (no options active), before it closes itself after a couple of seconds.

Basically, Gallery does not work.

Also, when I try and assign a photo to a contact, I get exactly the same issue. I see a grey square, before the phone gives up and returns to the contact screen

The photos can be viewed using other apps, such as Photo Editor

JasW

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
The WatchON app, especially the updated version, works only with the initial device you set up (TV/Projector). Any subsequent devices you add asks you to tap the button below--but there is no button to tap at all! Original version did not have this issue.

Also, supposedly I should be able to add my own stereo and stuff. But the only options I see are TV, DVD Player, AV Receiver, Streaming Device and something else. No option for stereos at all. Feeling very disappointed at this supposedly 'killer app'

The additional devices I've added in Watch On (I've set up 3-4 devices for three different rooms) all pop up in a list when I hit the power button, so I'm not sure what you're getting at. Also, what do you mean by "stereo"? I've added the stereo in our family room and bedroom -- it's AV Receiver.

Got the same bug
There is no power button when you try to add devices
Also sharp is not listed at tv mfg

I'm not sure why my experience has been different from you two. We have two Sharp TVs. I added both.

My s voice doesn't work. It instantly says sorry I didn't hear that please say it again. I press the button and the same happens again. No chance to say anything.
After this any app that use the mic won't work. Eg video recording. I have to clear the ram to make everything work again. (Apart from s voice of course) Any ideas?

My S Voice works, but it doesn't come up when I hit the home button twice. That option is checked in Settings in S Voice. I've restarted, but it still doesn't work. I've got Google, of course, but for some things I prefer S Voice.

Horshamrebel

May 1, 2013
Visit site
Just figured out my Gallery issue....

I copied a photo over from my S2 that was around 3GB in size. This gave my S2 no issues, but is completely blowing up the S4, in that it is taking so long to load it, the phone freezes then gives up.

The S4 copes now I've deleted that photo.

I have heard comments from the reviewers that the S4 can't handle too many photos being stored on it, which would be the same as having one large photo.
Massive shame as I said before, my S2 coped perfectly

pharaohdagreat

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Just figured out my Gallery issue....

I copied a photo over from my S2 that was around 3GB in size. This gave my S2 no issues, but is completely blowing up the S4, in that it is taking so long to load it, the phone freezes then gives up.

The S4 copes now I've deleted that photo.

I have heard comments from the reviewers that the S4 can't handle too many photos being stored on it, which would be the same as having one large photo.
Massive shame as I said before, my S2 coped perfectly

this could have been the reason i had the same problem...3000 plus photos on the memory card

Horshamrebel

May 1, 2013
Visit site
Might be worth putting in a different card with only a handful of photos and see what happens.
Mine's been running perfectly OK since I cut down the memory storage usage

JVH1982

May 8, 2011
Visit site
I haven't been able to prove or disprove this yet, but it seems that when I connect to my home wireless network, the phone seems to crash the network. Laptops, TV, etc everything else seems to lose network connectivity. Then I switch off the WiFi on the phone and a few mins later, everything connects again. It happened about 5 times last night, and already once this evening. However I've now been connected for almost an hour with no problems now. Normally my network is up 99.8%, so the day I come home with the new phone and it crashes that many times, makes me think...

UPDATE..... I updated my D-link router firmware.....the first time since getting it in 2008...we'll see if that helps. :cool:

UPDATE 2.... Router firmware update didn't prevent the next crash... It crashed again....now seemingly it's only happened when using Twitter.....and I don't tweet....just read local happenings.
Given the age of your router and my own past experience with a router of that "vintage", it sounds to me like you're exceeding the limit of how many clients can be supported by your router simultaneously. My old router capped out at 5 and crashed upon trying to connect the 6th device. A new router may solve your issue.

jackdubl

Apr 18, 2013
Visit site
Might be worth putting in a different card with only a handful of photos and see what happens.
Mine's been running perfectly OK since I cut down the memory storage usage

Of course, this would perfectly defeat the point of having the card. This is my dilemma: stick with my S3 which now has no bugs, or get the S4 and deal for a while. Then I can have the same dilemma with the S5.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Horshamrebel

May 1, 2013
Visit site
Of course, this would perfectly defeat the point of having the card. This is my dilemma: stick with my S3 which now has no bugs, or get the S4 and deal for a while. Then I can have the same dilemma with the S5.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Hopefully, as it is a known problem that has hit the main press reviews there might be a firmware upgrade to help sort this out.
We can only hope

tdkirk7

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
So there is two things this could be, auto brightness is turned on so it adjusts the screen brightness according to light around you, I always turn this off it annoying to me. Or you have the the auto display adjuster feature on which adjusts the colors and picture to whatever you have on the screen. I'm thinking its the second one which is a new feature on the S4.

Still does it with both of those things turned off. Someone over on XDA said that the HTC One did the same for them cause its actually the Snapdragon in it which has a dynamic contrast feature built in to it as well. So I am leaning towards it isn't a bug with the screen at least and may not even be a bug at all.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

scmagee

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
I think I have found and identified (at least in part) an interesting bug involving the lock screen. I believe it has to do with certain apps not "sharing" the lock screen properly. I am talking about apps such as Audible, Spotify, and Media Routing Button. They are the ones that I have found so far to be the trouble makers. I am still looking for more.
Problem: Normally, when playing Pandora and hitting the power button to wake up the GS4 to the lock screen, Pandora's play and pause button are integrated into the lock screen. The "Music" mp3 player also does this as does the "Play Music" app. Pandora was working fine with this functionality until I opened Spotify. I did not even use the app. I just accidentally opened it and shut it down. The same with the other two apps I mentioned, Media Routing Button, and Audible. Once any of those have been opened for the first time, Pandora can no longer present the play and pause button on the lock screen. Further more, after 5 mins or so listening to Pandora (with the screen blanked out), when you go to the lock screen it is wigging out.
There is a technical term for you. I would describe it as flickering Pandora trying to present the play/pause button then it is stopped at about 30 hz. Once I removed the three trouble maker apps from my GS4, the problem went away. Can anyone else duplicate this problem? Any ideas on a fix that would allow these apps to co-exist peacefully? Thanks

Last edited:

eyecon82

May 26, 2010
Visit site
One bug I noticed is that the lockscreen wallpaper keeps resetting itself to the default one with a hot air balloon even after I change it to a personal wallpaper randomly .

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

eyecon82

May 26, 2010
Visit site
When you try to attach picture via the gmail app, and you go to sort it by device only, the gallery app crashes

See attached pics.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Android Central Forums

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1367476029680.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1367476029680.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 90
  • uploadfromtaptalk1367476042442.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1367476042442.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 89
  • uploadfromtaptalk1367476068603.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1367476068603.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 90