Will galaxy s4 have exFAT support?

Nabil_Silva

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
So i know most of u are going to buy the GS4 coz of expendable memory, me included, n exfat seems important to me i dont want my sd card crashing after a month taking all my files with it . Is is going to support exfat?

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
That's an interesting thought considering not even microsoft has officially switched to it from ntfs, when they created it. Unless Sammy had a license to use it I'd say no. It would be nice for 64gb SD cards though since it is a big problem on the s3.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Just an FYI, it doesn't matter what format you use (other than file size, of course). The SD Card burnout problem was caused by faulty SanDisk chips manufactured prior to December 2012. Even if you have a new card and the date on the package is before that, SanDisk will replace it with a new one, no questions asked (read: they know they screwed up).

Wilbur

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
So i know most of u are going to buy the GS4 coz of expendable memory, me included, n exfat seems important to me i dont want my sd card crashing after a month taking all my files with it . Is is going to support exfat?

I understand it will support ExFAT since it's intended to work with 64gb SD cards. Fat32 for flash cards has a 32GB maximum limitation in addition to a 4GB max file size limitation. (The 32GB is the limit imposed by the Secure Digital High Capacity (SDHC) specification, not FAT32)

ExFAT (Extended File Allocation Table) was created just for this reason.

Exfat works with S3 and Note 2 phones. As noted by SpookDroid the first SanDisk 64Gb cards had problems in manufacturing.

Wilbur

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
Okay here's positive proof of ExFAT compatibility for the S4.

The U.K. Samsung Galaxy S4 manual says on page 15:

The device supports the FAT and the exFAT file systems for memory cards. When
inserting a card formatted in a different file system, the device asks to reformat the
memory card.

Windows Vista SP1 and later desktop operating systems include the exFAT file system and a redistributable Update package is available for Windows XP.

nawkwan

May 14, 2013
Visit site
Hi Wilbur,
Do you know how I can get exFAT support in Android (4.1.1)? Paragon is said to support it but on the mounter screen it says "exFAT support is only available for evaluation to OEM customers"

ChromeDome00

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
I understand it will support ExFAT since it's intended to work with 64gb SD cards. Fat32 for flash cards has a 32GB maximum limitation in addition to a 4GB max file size limitation. (The 32GB is the limit imposed by the Secure Digital High Capacity (SDHC) specification, not FAT32)

ExFAT (Extended File Allocation Table) was created just for this reason.

Exfat works with S3 and Note 2 phones. As noted by SpookDroid the first SanDisk 64Gb cards had problems in manufacturing.

Old thread - but some mistakes in comment above. Fat32 is not limited by card size - it can work on SD cards up to a TB size. It is a file system. 32gb limit is limit of SDHC cards. Greater then 32gb cards are SDXC. The real problem with FAT32 is file size - files can only be 4gb in size - so if you rip a DVD or record HD on your PC you will have 4gb or larger files on your PC that won't work on the SD card. ExFat solves the file size limit. My 64gb card is currently Fat32 formatted and it works in all devices - but with Exfat support of S4 i will be reformatting.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon