Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By slave
  • 1 Post By RG129
  • 1 Post By TeamPowerstroke
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Question Signal strength

Can anyone with the new phone in hand comment on the signal strength of the gs4? I'm coming from an iPhone and haven't had too much problem with signal strength (dropped calls or difficulty getting on the internet) but I've read in these forums that Samsung is notoriously bad when it comes to their radios. I'd love to hear your experience on this.

Global Posts
    37 Global Posts

Default Re: Signal strength

I'd also really like to know. Initial impressions are fine, too.

Global Posts
    1,038 Global Posts
    ROM
    100% AOSP/AOKP wanted.

I'd especially like to hear from those who noticed a discernible difference of some sort when switching to the S4 from their previous device. Please note your previous device as well.

The S3, S2, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus S are all known for terrible signal strength. Where as phones like the Note 2, RAZR, RAZR HD and iPhone are known for their excellent reception. Noting your thoughts on your previous device will help establish a baseline to measure your comments on your new S4.

Global Posts
    37 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dreamliner View Post
    The S3, S2, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus S are all known for terrible signal strength. Where as phones like the Note 2, RAZR, RAZR HD and iPhone are known for their excellent reception.
    Coming from the iPhone and work at a location with fairly poor connectivity. The iPhone gets by, but I don't have much signal strength to give up! Really hoping people think the S4 is better than the S3 and S2.

Well i have terrible reception with my iPhone here at work.... on the 12th floor of a building (weird?) so i'm really hoping it'll be better with the S4 when i get it!

Global Posts
    238 Global Posts

bump this for me also. This is make or break. Hopefully people will post hard facts, and take off the Galaxy fanboy goggles.
    brianphrack likes this.

We live out in the middle of the woods where we get 1-2 bars of 3G on the Verizon iPhone 5. AT&T has zero reception here. My wife just purchased the Galaxy Note 2 on Verizon and it's signal is just as good as the iPhone 5 if not a little better. I'm still waiting on the Verizon 32GB S4 myself and then I'll see how it does. Maybe someone with the S4 and iPhone 5 will chime in here.

ROM
    Stock (for now)

I too am curious about the radio strength. The radios (GPS, wifi, and cell) are weak on the S2 compared to my previous phone. This might be a deciding factor between the S4 and the one when I upgrade

Global Posts
    211 Global Posts

I responded to a similar thread earlier today:

I'm coming from an EVO 4G LTE on Sprint. 3G/EVDO is about the same or even a little better. S4 seems to hang onto the signal a little longer before roaming (underground stations, store basements, etc). LTE reception is MUCH better. My EVO didn't seem to get LTE in places that Sensorly was definitely showing coverage in. My S4 is now getting coverage in those areas.

Wi-Fi is stronger than my EVO too. The S4 can pick up my home Wi-Fi signal while I'm in my cement apartment garage 4 floors below my unit. My EVO would usually lock onto Wi-Fi while I'm on the 3rd floor of the staircase (I live on the 4th).
    Thanked by:
    brianphrack likes this.

Im getting a little better signal out of the s4 compared to my iphone 4s, wifi signal is alot better on the s4

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by:
    brianphrack likes this.