Two Questions: Black or White? One or S4?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
So, a dual combo and I hope you guys can help a fella decide hehe

In my country both the HTC One and Galaxy S4 are not coming for at least a few more days (actually HTC One hasn't even been announced yet :S ), but I'm trying to decide which one to get... So Question Number 1: HTC One ore Galaxy S4 and why? I know the One looks sleek with its aluminium unibody but let's face it, we'll cover it up with a case anyway, so that's not a tipping factor for me.

Question 2: Should I get the Galaxy S4, which one would you recommend, black or white? I really don't like the metallic bezel and I feel it stands out more (and more out of place) in the black version, but I've never been too fond of white phones either. Any suggestions and why would you choose one color over the other?

Thanks!

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
1. Really? In a Galaxy forum, what do you think the answer is going to be? There must be 1000 posts arguing one or the other, and the answer is it all depends. Read the reviews of each here on A|C, and decide which set of compromises will best match your needs. Do you want an interchangeable battery? Is sexy look and feel at least as important as function to you? Will you use the camera a lot? If so, which is more important, low light shots or brightly lit shots?

2. My current phone is white, so I'd probably get the black one just for a change of pace. But again, what I like doesn't have any bearing on what you like. If you don't like white phones, I think you've kind of indicated which you will prefer.

N7Ascension

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
1. I got a chance today to try out the HTC One and personally, I didn't really like it. Especially the UI. Sure, the phone itself might look pretty but it's not my cup of tea. And as you said, you're going to put a case on it anyways so what's the point? (I also think it is more prone to scratches). S4 also has SDcard and removable battery! For me, the One didn't have any features that really interested me. So I'd recommend the S4 but that's just me.

2. If you ask me, I'd say get the Black version. Much sleek and premium looking in my opinion.

Podunks

Banned
Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Just got back from playing with them both at the ATT store.....

The HTC One edges are uncomfortable and sharp. The phone is noticeably heavier, but its otherwise ok.

The S4 although larger, was lighter, much more enjoyable to hold, and that SCREEEN!!! That screen is pure sexy!

I watched the Lion King trailer on them both in HD... The S4 took the cake in color and wow factor for the picture!

I also, having never used either, felt the touchwiz was more intuitive, and easier to navigate than the HTC brand of interface.

Also, I think you should look at them in person, but the black looked a lot nicer than expected. I was originally going to go with white, but have changed my mind.

Last edited:

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Thanks guys!! So, for those of you who have used the device and compared it to the HTC One, how does the screen compare? I'm very curious about that hehe And the ever-present question, of course: how does it stack up against an iPhone's screen? I HATED the screen on the S3 but loved the one on my Note 2, although it doesn't come close to an iPhone's...

Also, for those who have seen the black version, does the metallic bezel stand out too much? I also read here that the diamond pattern makes the screen stand out more when OFF, instead of blending in like it used to on the GSII...

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I would, but the S4 won't be here for another week and HTC hasn't announced the One here yet, so I just want to know what you guys think now that it's out in the US and have actually seen and used both devices, that's all... But yeah, I definitely will go to the store and decide if I upgrade or stay with my Note 2 :p

Podunks

Banned
Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Thanks guys!! So, for those of you who have used the device and compared it to the HTC One, how does the screen compare? I'm very curious about that hehe And the ever-present question, of course: how does it stack up against an iPhone's screen? I HATED the screen on the S3 but loved the one on my Note 2, although it doesn't come close to an iPhone's...

Also, for those who have seen the black version, does the metallic bezel stand out too much? I also read here that the diamond pattern makes the screen stand out more when OFF, instead of blending in like it used to on the GSII...

It stand out just enough to look good. But not enough to be a problem. I actually like the pattern a lot, it adds a LOT of character to the phone. The pattern is very visible on the back.

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
The Samsung Galaxy S4 seems to be the winner in this match-up due to overall features. The HTC One really only matches the S4 in camera quality and design while the rest of the specifications and features appear to be better on the S4.

As for the color, up to you :)

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
So, how does the screen compare between the two? What about battery life? I know most of you will either have one or the other hehe so probably battery life is not going to be experienced in a store test :p But the screen? How does it stack up against the One and iPhone's?

I'm also wondering if the camera improved the shutter speed... My Note 2 takes ABYSMAL pictures when not in direct sunlight (I keep trying to snap pictures of my puppy indoors and he just comes out a blurry ball of fur streaking across the screen, and this is with REALLY good indoor lighting... my GSII does it perfectly, so it IS the shutter's fault...)