Samsung Galaxy S4: APN Straight Talk settings HELP

slowgenius

May 4, 2013
Visit site
Re: Samsung Galaxy S4 APN Straight Talk settings HELP

I'm considering getting the Galaxy S4 and using straight talk. I'm not as computer savy as you but you said it works for you? Did you get your phone unlocked? I'm afraid of purchasing the phone and not being able to use it. Can you tell me exactly what I need to buy to make it work? I know it has to be an ATT phone. Thank you!

Yes I am using an att galaxy s4 on straighttalk. It works great. My only issue now is the day after I cancelled my contract I jad to enter new apn settings. It may be a coincidence, either way, I got everything to work except mms. Mms is picture and video messages. I looked for about 4 days and I may need to get a new sim card to get it to work.

SJSulli

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site

Thank you. It sounds like it would be to much for me to figure out. Did you get your phone unlocked? The woman I spoke to from straight talk told me it had to be ATT compatible and unlocked. This is all foreign to me and am really afraid to spend the money on a phone that I won't be able to use everything (MMS). I have month to month with Verizon and love the coverage. I know that T-Mobile and Sprint doesn't work in my area. I see that straight talk has the Galaxy s3 and am considering that as well...but really want the S4. Ugh!! Thanks again for your input.

slowgenius

May 4, 2013
Visit site

I did not have to unlock my phone to use the straight talk byop att sim. I bought an att phone. All you need to know are the right apn settings. I am buying a new sim and will try to get everything working today. The s4 is really nice. Straittalk is ending their mvno from att so im not sure where that will leave us. Their s3 is on sprints network.

kyle10000

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site

This one worked for me. I was having the same problem as everyone else where I had internet and was able to text and make phone calls but not receive mms. these settings fixed it! thanks!

slowgenius

May 4, 2013
Visit site

-Update-

For my Samsung Galaxy S4

After purchasing a new att sim card on ebay, i used the APN settings offered by ST.

My data and sms, mms, and everything else is working 100%

My settings:

Name Straight Talk

APN tfdata

Proxy Not set

Port Not set

User name Not set

Password Not set

Server Not set

MMSC http://mms-tf.net

MMS proxy mms3.tracfone.com

MMS port 80

MCC 310

MNC 410

Authentication type Not set

APN type Not set

APN protocol IPv4

APN roaming protocol IPv4

Enable/Disable APN APN enabled (checked)

Bearer Unspecified

ncreptile

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site

I have a Tmobile phone that I just unlocked. Its not under contract so.. Illegal? More of a grey area as tech tmobile has nothing to do with me.

Anyhow the OP's settings did not work. But your settings did! I HAVE 4g!! YES!!
Thank you thank you thank you. Love my straight talk.

For those who want to unlock. I tried the "free" unlock yourself method and it did NOTHING. I also got codes from websites and those did nothing.
In the end the USB method that does not require a code unlocked it for me. I went to fastgsm DOT com.
Im not a bot or an ad.. Im just extremely happy after spending all day raging at my new phone, tmobile tech support and samsung, all of which were useless. Finally I spent the $15 and my phoe is working.. Gotta say the directions are a bit long but easy to follow.

THANK YOU VETVETTER, loving my phone! Goodbye iphone 4, tired of apple's stale crap with higher number every year.
So here is the little trick I happened to stumble across reading a few threads about people having Straight Talk ATT APN issues.

The Magic Key:
YOU MUST EDIT THE ORIGINAL DEFAULT APN YOUR PHONE GIVES YOU. Editing or making the original default APN correct is the key.

Why this is??? I have no idea... However I can tell you that Straight Talk really doesn't care or have the motivation to fix this due to them not really wanting us on ATT anymore anyway. I believe somehow the phones are holding what they have in the default as the only APN that works no matter what second, third, forth, etc....APN you select.

Tmobile Samsung Galaxy S3(JB 4.1.2) - I spent all of about 2 minutes editing my Unlocked Tmobile Galaxy S3's default APN it gave me. Mine worked perfect in 2 minutes because Samsung allows this.

Tmobile Optimus L9(JB 4.1.2) - I spent just about all weekend slamming my head against the wall on my wife's Unlocked Tmobile Optimus L9. In the infinite wisdom of LG they decided to be cute and lock down the default APN setting from being editable. I tried every secondary APN settings on the net I could find. None worked. She did have internet, just no MMS.(Her default APN was partially correct which is why I think she had internet only.) So I had to friggen go as far as rooting her phone and editing the apns-conf.xml file located in the \system\etc folder with the proper settings shown below. Doing this corrects the default APN the phones sees for what sim card is in it. For tracphone on hers I believe it comes up under "Media Net" for whatever reason.

Once you do the edit I have listed above, reboot the phone. Add in a temp fake second APN, then get back to the main APN screen. Once you are there hit the menu button and select reset to default. Magically the new edit you did to the apns-conf.xml file will show with your Straight Talk edits. After that everything will work!

Even if you deleted out the original default APN the above step of reset to default will bring back the original one so you can edit for say on a Samsung S3. Remember editing or making the original default APN correct is the key.

APN settings that work:

Name : Straight Talk
APN : att.mvno
Proxy : Left Blank
Port : Left Blank
User name : Left Blank
Password : Left Blank
Server : Left Blank
MMSC : http://mmsc.cingular.com
MMS proxy : 66.209.11.33
MMS port : 80
MCC : 310
MNC : 410
Authentication type : Left Blank
APN type : default,supl,mms
APN protocol : IPv4

Enjoy!

starz1288

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site

I don't know if this will help but when I put straight talk on my iPhone I had to download an app to change my APN setting because it didnt allow me to change them maybe u can try something like that.

Can anyone help just want to make sure I really don't want the iPhone anymore and have been trying to figure what to do about getting a galaxy s4 so do they completely work or what should I get an AT&T galaxy s4 ? If its unlocked it doesn't works?? But of I just go buy if from AT&T and do it does ALL work??

:cool:

ncreptile

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site

Tmobile or the AT&T will work.
Go to the galaxy s4 wiki page to see the model differences.. I would stick with the 3 main American versions with the same CPU.

I hated the iphone but gtta tell you the galaxy s4 battery life is terrible and while it has all the nice fancy gadgets will drain it even quicker.

Example.. I used my galaxy s4 today with data off, checked my emails twice, made 2 20 minute calls and let it idle in my pocket for rest of day. I have ALL the gadgets/air/eye gesture stuff off and screen brightness at 30%.. Yet my battery drained 25%.

Today was a very light use day, I know I wouldnt make it through half a day on this phone with normal use.

I paid $600 for this phone, people told me to go with another phone and I made excuses for this one. Now im stuck with it.. and because its so new there are few answers on the web and judging from the replies to my threads on this forum there are few people who care to help.

Im stuck with this thing and wish I had never gone with it.. SO much bloatware and "rooting" is the solution to everything, yet thats like someone giving you parts in a box without instructions and saying "Build a car".. The 13mp camera was what attracted me and while its awesome its not worth the hassle im going through.

I would reconsider getting this phone :/
I don't know if this will help but when I put straight talk on my iPhone I had to download an app to change my APN setting because it didnt allow me to change them maybe u can try something like that.

Can anyone help just want to make sure I really don't want the iPhone anymore and have been trying to figure what to do about getting a galaxy s4 so do they completely work or what should I get an AT&T galaxy s4 ? If its unlocked it doesn't works?? But of I just go buy if from AT&T and do it does ALL work??

:cool:

starz1288

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site

So your saying to just go with the S3 or they different s4's? I have an AT&T SIM the ones not available anymore so idk if I can get away with still using that changing from iPhone to android. But the thing is my fianc? is getting an upgrade through AT&T and giving to me so no matter what it's gonna be AT&T unless my old SIM won't work and if I have to buy a new one then I have to save alot more to get a full prices tmobile or something else. I really want the S4 but if its not going to all work or be more of a hassle i guess it wouldn't be as awesome especially since I've been using this pos iPhone with no mms on straight talk for a year I hate this thing sooo much but then am soooo scared of change and hating that more. So wasnt there atleast 2 pl in the thread that got everything on thier GS3 working?? The same setting just didnt work for you? Is the s3 doesn't have the quad core how does the s4 and s3 compare do you know?

ncreptile

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site

Personally I would go with the S4 over the 3.. Why get the old model when the new one is better in many ways.
The ATT and Tmobile versions will both take a micro sim and will work for EITHER network as long as they are Unlocked(so make sure you get one thats unlocked otherwise you are stuck with whatever network you are on)

If you already have AT&T and plan on staying with them, go ahead and buy the AT&T version which is i337 (tmobile version is m919).

I got everything on my S4 working fine with straight talk. So there is no reason to go to a S3 unless you just want the old version.

I just dislike the S4 because of the battery life, everything else about the phone is pretty good!
So your saying to just go with the S3 or they different s4's? I have an AT&T SIM the ones not available anymore so idk if I can get away with still using that changing from iPhone to android. But the thing is my fianc? is getting an upgrade through AT&T and giving to me so no matter what it's gonna be AT&T unless my old SIM won't work and if I have to buy a new one then I have to save alot more to get a full prices tmobile or something else. I really want the S4 but if its not going to all work or be more of a hassle i guess it wouldn't be as awesome especially since I've been using this pos iPhone with no mms on straight talk for a year I hate this thing sooo much but then am soooo scared of change and hating that more. So wasnt there atleast 2 pl in the thread that got everything on thier GS3 working?? The same setting just didnt work for you? Is the s3 doesn't have the quad core how does the s4 and s3 compare do you know?

starz1288

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site

So I should get the S4 and if everything doesn't work correct just wait a month and someone will find out!? I'm hoping .... I mean like I said I've loved the last yr without mms except to other iPhone carriers so I can deff live without it tell someone figures out how to do as long as I can get calls text and Internet I'm good and that's exactly what I was thinking why go with the old when u can go with the new the funny thing is I had no idea until lastnight that s4 literally just came out, I didnt know the commercials I've been watching for months were advertising for it to come out I thought I was already out a few months back lmao :confused: I've never had a phone when it first came out! :cool: Uhhhhggg but it sucks cuz I have the older AT&T SIM then my fianc?'s upgrade is trough AT&T but AT&T is the worst coverage here and I'm scared for some reason my sim won't work in the new phone then I'm gonna have try and find and fork out all the cash to get another AT&T SIM. I wish I knew how big of a difference and stuff they are and which one is waay better and if was worth it to somehow wait but I get the s4 for $99 through AT&T with his upgrade anywhere else their over $500 so it seems at my only chance at getting it :-\
Does anyone know if I have to do anything though straight talk when u change phones or you purely just put it in?? I seen alot of ppl on here having trouble getting everything to work with thier unlocked ones most where saying to not unlock it so now I'm really stuck on if it needs to be unlocked or not?? Correct me if I'm wrong if I get AT&T phone unlock it then I can go buy the tmobile sim from ST and then ill be on tmobile network?? But if I get it and just use the sim I have it stays AT&T forever?? Can i switch it later?? Will my AT&T SIM always work even though Their not wanting ppl on the AT&T network?? Uhhg whys it got be so confusing but oh how do I love u straight talk and ur $45 a month with best phone out!!!!!
OOOH and does anyone know once I've switched an iPhone AT&T to straight talk it can just go right back to AT&T right?? Or is there some trick there too?!!?!!? :D

Last edited:

ncreptile

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site

Im saying because its a new phone IF you have problems it may be an issue thats still being worked out.
I dont think you will have any issues..

My main issue with the galaxy s4 is the poor battery life which you can basically put a bandaid on by modifying some things but it still sucks.

If your AT&T sim card is a micro sim(google Micro Sim Card vs Normal in google images and you will see the difference) then it will work just fine in your S4.
However you keep mentioning straight talk, which means you have a straight talk sim card. That will work fine to! HOWEVER if you are putting a straight talk sim card into a branded galaxy s4(tmobile or at&t, by branded I mean it has the company logo on back of phone) you will need to have it unlocked.

Unlocking costs like $5-15 depending on where you go online to get the code, its fairly simple. If you run into any issues unlocked(if you are using the straight talk sim card) then give me a PM and I will help. Fastgsm.com(google them) seems to be the best but there are others who unlock phones. Its an easy process just make sure you follow the directions carefully.

If you plan on using AT&T(not straight talk), make sure you buy the i337 AT&T S4 and use a AT&T sim card.

To your last question, yes your iphone should work fine going back to AT&T.
So I should get the S4 and if everything doesn't work correct just wait a month and someone will find out!? I'm hoping .... I mean like I said I've loved the last yr without mms except to other iPhone carriers so I can deff live without it tell someone figures out how to do as long as I can get calls text and Internet I'm good and that's exactly what I was thinking why go with the old when u can go with the new the funny thing is I had no idea until lastnight that s4 literally just came out, I didnt know the commercials I've been watching for months were advertising for it to come out I thought I was already out a few months back lmao :confused: I've never had a phone when it first came out! :cool: Uhhhhggg but it sucks cuz I have the older AT&T SIM then my fianc?'s upgrade is trough AT&T but AT&T is the worst coverage here and I'm scared for some reason my sim won't work in the new phone then I'm gonna have try and find and fork out all the cash to get another AT&T SIM. I wish I knew how big of a difference and stuff they are and which one is waay better and if was worth it to somehow wait but I get the s4 for $99 through AT&T with his upgrade anywhere else their over $500 so it seems at my only chance at getting it :-\
Does anyone know if I have to do anything though straight talk when u change phones or you purely just put it in?? I seen alot of ppl on here having trouble getting everything to work with thier unlocked ones most where saying to not unlock it so now I'm really stuck on if it needs to be unlocked or not?? Correct me if I'm wrong if I get AT&T phone unlock it then I can go buy the tmobile sim from ST and then ill be on tmobile network?? But if I get it and just use the sim I have it stays AT&T forever?? Can i switch it later?? Will my AT&T SIM always work even though Their not wanting ppl on the AT&T network?? Uhhg whys it got be so confusing but oh how do I love u straight talk and ur $45 a month with best phone out!!!!!
OOOH and does anyone know once I've switched an iPhone AT&T to straight talk it can just go right back to AT&T right?? Or is there some trick there too?!!?!!? :D

starz1288

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site

Yes I'm trying to get the s4 on stright talk that's why I came to this thread it's titled s4 APN Striaght Talk settings. It's one of ONLY 4 places I can find talking anythig about an s4 on ST I can't find anything really I thought that's what everyone was talking about on here was trying to put their s4 on to ST is that not the case? Yes I have a Straight Talk micro SIM AT&T coverage so you can bring an AT&T phone to ST when I got it you didn't need to unlock the phone all I did was slip I the SIM to an AT&T iPhone and I had to call ST and tell them I was putting on a new phone they took the VIN and got it working the I had to download an app to change the APN settings to get Internet never did get the mms working. Had that for a year now I wanna try the s3or s4 and am hoping to use my same old ST AT&T network SIM but they stopped making and selling them through ST so ppl are saying they don't want ppl using the AT&T network anymore so idk if that means I can't use my same old SIM cuz there stopping them so maybe if I kept this phone it would be fine but when I try to call ST to put the new VIN number they might tell me I can't use that SIM anymore in that case I have to get a new one well they only sell Tmobile network ones now so then I couldn't use it on the AT&T version S4 (or can I if its unlocked) because right now my fianc?'s Gma is giving him her upgrade through AT&T well he just got a new phone so he's letting me use it and with the deals right now it's $99 for the S3 AND the S4 he was gonna buy t not hook it to his account and just bring it to me to use for ST but I'm so affriad something's not gonna work then I'm gonna waist their upgrade cuz that's not the phone either of them would get then I won't know what to do.. I seem alot of ppl on here saying not to unlock it that It didnt work on their unlocked S4's and that it has to be done legally not through websites or stuff like that cuz that's "illegal" i guess but ST is saying any phone needs to be unlocked so idk it's all so confusing!! Ur not using ST??

ncreptile

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site

I am using ST on my tobile S4.

You wont be able to just download a program this time around.
You need to come back in this thread and update your apn settings. it is Very easy.

You WILL have to unlock the phone if the seller has not already. I would be sure to buy a phone thats unlocked already.
Yes I'm trying to get the s4 on stright talk that's why I came to this thread it's titled s4 APN Striaght Talk settings. It's one of ONLY 4 places I can find talking anythig about an s4 on ST I can't find anything really I thought that's what everyone was talking about on here was trying to put their s4 on to ST is that not the case? Yes I have a Straight Talk micro SIM AT&T coverage so you can bring an AT&T phone to ST when I got it you didn't need to unlock the phone all I did was slip I the SIM to an AT&T iPhone and I had to call ST and tell them I was putting on a new phone they took the VIN and got it working the I had to download an app to change the APN settings to get Internet never did get the mms working. Had that for a year now I wanna try the s3or s4 and am hoping to use my same old ST AT&T network SIM but they stopped making and selling them through ST so ppl are saying they don't want ppl using the AT&T network anymore so idk if that means I can't use my same old SIM cuz there stopping them so maybe if I kept this phone it would be fine but when I try to call ST to put the new VIN number they might tell me I can't use that SIM anymore in that case I have to get a new one well they only sell Tmobile network ones now so then I couldn't use it on the AT&T version S4 (or can I if its unlocked) because right now my fianc?'s Gma is giving him her upgrade through AT&T well he just got a new phone so he's letting me use it and with the deals right now it's $99 for the S3 AND the S4 he was gonna buy t not hook it to his account and just bring it to me to use for ST but I'm so affriad something's not gonna work then I'm gonna waist their upgrade cuz that's not the phone either of them would get then I won't know what to do.. I seem alot of ppl on here saying not to unlock it that It didnt work on their unlocked S4's and that it has to be done legally not through websites or stuff like that cuz that's "illegal" i guess but ST is saying any phone needs to be unlocked so idk it's all so confusing!! Ur not using ST??

dansnotebook

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site

I used this on my AT&T S4 and it worked immediately. Thank you.

So here is the little trick I happened to stumble across reading a few threads about people having Straight Talk ATT APN issues.

The Magic Key:
YOU MUST EDIT THE ORIGINAL DEFAULT APN YOUR PHONE GIVES YOU. Editing or making the original default APN correct is the key.

Why this is??? I have no idea... However I can tell you that Straight Talk really doesn't care or have the motivation to fix this due to them not really wanting us on ATT anymore anyway. I believe somehow the phones are holding what they have in the default as the only APN that works no matter what second, third, forth, etc....APN you select.

Tmobile Samsung Galaxy S3(JB 4.1.2) - I spent all of about 2 minutes editing my Unlocked Tmobile Galaxy S3's default APN it gave me. Mine worked perfect in 2 minutes because Samsung allows this.

Tmobile Optimus L9(JB 4.1.2) - I spent just about all weekend slamming my head against the wall on my wife's Unlocked Tmobile Optimus L9. In the infinite wisdom of LG they decided to be cute and lock down the default APN setting from being editable. I tried every secondary APN settings on the net I could find. None worked. She did have internet, just no MMS.(Her default APN was partially correct which is why I think she had internet only.) So I had to friggen go as far as rooting her phone and editing the apns-conf.xml file located in the \system\etc folder with the proper settings shown below. Doing this corrects the default APN the phones sees for what sim card is in it. For tracphone on hers I believe it comes up under "Media Net" for whatever reason.

Once you do the edit I have listed above, reboot the phone. Add in a temp fake second APN, then get back to the main APN screen. Once you are there hit the menu button and select reset to default. Magically the new edit you did to the apns-conf.xml file will show with your Straight Talk edits. After that everything will work!

Even if you deleted out the original default APN the above step of reset to default will bring back the original one so you can edit for say on a Samsung S3. Remember editing or making the original default APN correct is the key.

APN settings that work:

Name : Straight Talk
APN : att.mvno
Proxy : Left Blank
Port : Left Blank
User name : Left Blank
Password : Left Blank
Server : Left Blank
MMSC : http://mmsc.cingular.com
MMS proxy : 66.209.11.33
MMS port : 80
MCC : 310
MNC : 410
Authentication type : Left Blank
APN type : default,supl,mms
APN protocol : IPv4

Enjoy!

Annetta A

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site

Ok here is another mystery for you all. Brand new (purchased unactivated, factory unlocked) AT&T Galaxy S4. Installed the Straight Talk AT&T sim card. Phone calls and data work fine. Had trouble with MMS messaging. Regular text messages can be sent and received no problem. The mystery is the picture messages. I have played around with the settings enough that I can receive picture text messages but cannot send them.

Current settings:

Name: Straight Talk
APN: tfdata
Proxy: not set
Port: not set
MMSC: http://mmsc.cingular.com
MMS proxy: mms2.tracfone.com (also tried 66.209.11.33 with the same results)
MMS port: 80
MCC: 310
MNC: 410
Auth Type: not set
APN type: not set

This is what Straight Talk recommends: (tried this too)

APN Name: Straight Talk
Port: 80
MMSC: http://mms-tf.net
MMS Proxy: mms3.tracfone.com
MMS Port: 80

If I change anything on that list then I will not get data or receive any photo messages.

(my head hurts from reading all the forums on this lol)

Any other suggestions, thoughts, ideas?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Annetta A

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site

Update: 3:12 am lol

I finally think I have it figured out.... maybe

I switched back to the recommended Straight Talk settings.

APN Name: Straight Talk
Port: 80
MMSC: http://mms-tf.net
MMS Proxy: mms3.tracfone.com
MMS Port: 80

I then figured out that the messages I was sending were quite large, so I went into the settings of the text messaging and under creation mode changed the setting from Free to restricted. This then took my photo and reduced the size of it and it went right through were it would not on Free mode.

Now... I can sleep.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coehlcke