Galaxy S4 SD card issue

JamesM1

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
Ok so I am getting ready to switch to the galaxy s4 and I was planning on purchasing an SD card but lately I heard people say that it only last 3 months then die and that it doesn't work with galaxy phones and that you will loose your data after 3 months! Is this true? Please help, I am new to android and I don't want to loose data on an sd card if I buy on.

Thank you in advance

geekymcfly

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Ok so I am getting ready to switch to the galaxy s4 and I was planning on purchasing an SD card but lately I heard people say that it only last 3 months then die and that it doesn't work with galaxy phones and that you will loose your data after 3 months! Is this true? Please help, I am new to android and I don't want to loose data on an sd card if I buy on.

Thank you in advance

This is a issue with current s3's and it doesn't affect every device. Honestly we couldn't even tell you if the s4 would experience the same thing. Guess we will have to wait and see.

TMO GS3 * NEXUS 7

Wilbur

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site

Thank you in advance

I bought this 64GB card from Newegg:

SanDisk Mobile Ultra Model SDSDQUA-064G-A11A Flash Card - Newegg.com

Let you know how it works after Verizon sells me a black 32GB S4 ... haha

Drov

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
From what I have read it is most likely to happen with a Sandisk card. If you go with a Samsung card you should have better luck. They do cost a little more but I guess you get what you pay for. I personally have been using the same Sandisk 64gb card for almost a year with no problems.

Wilbur

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
The problem with SanDisk cards has been solved. Fear not .... [famous last words, I know]

"After that ridiculous response by Samsung, The Register, based in the U.K., spoke with SanDisk and the honesty was quite refreshing. The card manufacturer admitted to a problem in the production of a small number of its 32GB and 64GB microSD cards. The manufacturing problem has already been repaired. If you have a SanDisk card that is failing, whether it is on the Samsung Galaxy S3 or any other device, you can contact the company and receive a replacement."

SanDisk says it produced some bad 32GB and 64GB microSD cards

snookasnoo

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Just be aware that SD cards in general use the lowest quality nand flash so they are not generally very reliable. Also slow. Don't put anything critical on one unless you back it up.

Thank you in advance

JKG511

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
I just received my new Galaxy S4 in the mail. I activated it and set it up. Then, I was VERY surprised and angry to find that NO apps can be moved to the SD card.
I even formatted the SD card in case there was an issue (and the SD card is also Samsung, so there's no compatibility issue).
Next, I tried downloading a couple of different App-to-SD-card mover apps. All told me the same thing - they're "not compatible with my device"!!!
My next option will be taking it to the Sprint store, but if this phone won't allow moving apps to the SD card, and/or storing large files (like music) there, it's going back. :'(

Logansmom32

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
You know I thought same thing. My fianc? has a galaxy tab 2 & then is when we discovered that apps couldn't be moved to SD card. But then I got a Galaxy Nexus 32GB with 18GB being used and freaked about no 32GB S4...... That is until I checked how much space my apps for the say year took up & I had close to 100....I'm a trained weather spotter so I have a LOT of radar & weather type apps with a lot of models & such. Anyway, with my almost 100 apps I had only used 1.9GB for apps. Yes the rest were all photos & videos of storms, radars, clouds, and of course the family dog & kids lol. Anyway, load all the apps you had on your past phone & check to see how much room they take up. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. If not then I don't know what else to tell ya :( ......I'm trying here! :)

P.S. I LOVE my S4 & feel no anxiety over a 16GB device now. :)
- - - Updated - - -

snookasnoo

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Thats because Google has never liked Sd cards preferring contiguous memory. They have always been quite vocal about this and removed the ability in Jelly Bean. That should tell you something about SD cards.

Jelly Bean doesn't support apps installed on SD Card unless the phone has been modded... A JB thing, not just Samsung...

Logansmom32

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
I have a question. ...how do I move my downloaded music to the SD Card? And my downloaded photos from text & email to the SD Card? Please don't tell me I have to root it because I don't want to lol. Is there a work around? Thanks in advance!
Tracy

Sent from my SAMSUNG Galaxy S4 from AT&T using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Honestly I have a 64GB Class 10 SanDisk card and I am replacing it with a Samsung 64GB MicroSD card. I honestly have been running into issue after issue with SanDisk memory, thumb drives that suddenly are corrupted or unreadable when they were properly ejected from the windows computer and simply plugged into a new windows computer to a microSD card having the same issue with a card reader. its just not worth it anymore to save a couple of bucks. Samsung memory is really only $5-10 more.

bubbajoe72

May 2, 2013
Visit site
I have a question. ...how do I move my downloaded music to the SD Card? And my downloaded photos from text & email to the SD Card? Please don't tell me I have to root it because I don't want to lol. Is there a work around? Thanks in advance!
Tracy

Sent from my SAMSUNG Galaxy S4 from AT&T using Android Central Forums

From my experience with the Galaxy Tab, I've had to download music to my computer using Google Music Manager and transfer it to my SD card.

conanheath

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Have been using Att s4 with class 10 sandisk 64gb. I've had nothing but trouble so far. Microsd keeps unmounting and remounting. As in every 30 seconds. I have formatted card in phone and computer and drag/drop and used Kies to load. Works for about a day and then I have mounting issue. The card works just fine in my note 8.0. Just ordered Samsung 64gb to see if that takes care of issue. Have no idea what the problem is. Anybody have a step by step test with any consistent results?

Sent from Galaxy S4

decepticlone

May 3, 2013
Visit site
Perhaps irrelevant to this thread, but still may help the OP. I have a Samsung class 10 32GB card in my GS2 and it's been going strong for over a year. I only bought the Samsung card because it was on sale, not because it was Samsung. Also have a Patriot 16GB class 10 in my Tab 7 and never had problems with movies or music. The Patriot card is about 2 years old and was taken out of my GS2 and put directly into the Tab 7. I've done many transfers of movies and music to each as well as formatting with 0 issues. Haven't heard of a mysterious GS3 sd card issue. Hope this doesn't affect the GS4. :(

wilky4

May 17, 2013
Visit site
i have been downloading music from music paradise i have got 2 saved to my phone and now its says that it is saving them to my sd card but i do not have one why is it donig this my phone is a galaxy s4 as well

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams