Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Default Re: Won't connect to WiFi

just go into command prompt on your pc and take note of dns server, ip address and default gateway
    once this is done enter the wi-fi manually
    and input the matching IP addresses and click connect

IT MUST WORK

Global Posts
    17 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Spho View Post
    just go into command prompt on your pc and take note of dns server, ip address and default gateway
    once this is done enter the wi-fi manually
    and input the matching IP addresses and click connect

IT MUST WORK
    It will connect when I give it a static IP but is not able to access the internet.

Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.2.2 GS4

I've been on the phone with AT&T and Asurion today, and Samsung has confirmed that this is a known issue and that they are working on a solution that will be pushed to our devices in an update soon.

Can't wait to see how long this takes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2
    "Anticipate the difficult by managing the easy
    -Lao Tzu

Quote Originally Posted by YoungChrisG View Post
    I've been on the phone with AT&T and Asurion today, and Samsung has confirmed that this is a known issue and that they are working on a solution that will be pushed to our devices in an update soon.

Can't wait to see how long this takes.
    This was an issue with the S3, and they told us the same thing last year. It would've been nice if they pushed that solution when they released the S4.

I had the same issue, my S4 wouldn't connect to my secure WiFi. But I have a laptop that was able to connect, no problem. I checked the properties for the connection on my laptop and it's Security Type is set to WPA2-Personal. I checked my router settings and it's Security Type setting was set to WPA/WPA2 Mixed Mode. I disabled security on my WiFi and verified that my S4 could connect. Works. I then re-enabled WiFi Security on my router but changed the Security Type Setting to WPA Personal. I restarted my S4, found my WiFi network and entered the password. Worked like a charm. I hope this helps you.

This is using a Cisco Wireless Router.

Quote Originally Posted by ryantollefson View Post
    I just got my Samsung Galaxy S4, and kept getting the "Network disabled because internet connection is slow" or "Failed to obtain IP address" errors. "
    Same problem here

Quote Originally Posted by Etgen View Post
    It will connect when I give it a static IP but is not able to access the internet.
    Same problem here

Router: Motorola SBG900

Changing WPA encryption on router from AES to TKIP enabled wi-fi access from phone
    Thanked by:

Thank you SOOOOO much YoungChrisG!! I searched for this issue, and your solution worked for me. The instructions were great. I appreciate it so much!

Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.2.2 GS4

Quote Originally Posted by Christine Chisholm View Post
    Thank you SOOOOO much YoungChrisG!! I searched for this issue, and your solution worked for me. The instructions were great. I appreciate it so much!
    Not a problem :-) Glad I could help!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2
    "Anticipate the difficult by managing the easy
    -Lao Tzu

Global Posts
    620 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Have the Cisco Linksys router and had searching...authentication failure issue. Changed router settings from WEP to WPA2 Personal and all is working now.

Global Posts
    620 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Cigar-Junkie View Post
    Have the Cisco Linksys router and had searching...authentication failure issue. Changed router settings from WEP to WPA2 Personal and all is working now.
    Now that I have setup my router and access point with the same passphrase and name all works but when I walk from the front router to the back acces point I get a prompt to connect. Is there any way to get the S4 to auto connect to known networks? Most of the time the phone will be in my pocket so I want it to use my wifi instead of Verizon data. Same will be true when I arrive at my office, I just want it to connect when I arrive. I feel like I just have a check box wrong.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Edit: Apparently if you do not have the wifi setup open it will connect without a prompt, so I guess all is well.
    Last edited by Cigar-Junkie; 05-26-2013 at 05:38 PM.

Originally Posted by noname808
    Same problem here
    Router: Motorola SBG900
    Changing WPA encryption on router from AES to TKIP enabled wi-fi access from phone
    This worked for my friend. She is using my Linksys WRT54G router with a WPA Pre-Shared Key and the rest of the settings at default. Note that her S4 COULD connect to the router (with full internet access) for the first few days of owning it. She went out of state for a few days only to get back and not be able to log on. It said something about IP address not located or found? She could log on to a neighbor's open network but with lower signal strength (nothing changed here). So I looked on this forum but avoided all the solutions that required more time than I had. I went with noname808's quick solution and lo and behold, it worked! She had to "reset" the connection on her phone, but she was able to log in and get full bars from the router and internet access. Thanks noname808!
    Thanked by:

you obviously did not read the post. I am having the same issue with my glaxay s4. After entering the password, it says authenticating and then i get the message, "authentication error occurred" "wrong password". I know the password is right, as I tried with other devices.

Quote Originally Posted by Julio Alva View Post
    This worked for my friend. She is using my Linksys WRT54G router with a WPA Pre-Shared Key and the rest of the settings at default. Note that her S4 COULD connect to the router (with full internet access) for the first few days of owning it. She went out of state for a few days only to get back and not be able to log on. It said something about IP address not located or found? She could log on to a neighbor's open network but with lower signal strength (nothing changed here). So I looked on this forum but avoided all the solutions that required more time than I had. I went with noname808's quick solution and lo and behold, it worked! She had to "reset" the connection on her phone, but she was able to log in and get full bars from the router and internet access. Thanks noname808!

I use an older Linksys WRT54GS and use WPA with AES...no problems. I also use MAC Filtering and my GS4 MAC address is entered. The maximum number of DHCP users is set to accommodate the added phone.

hello guys, i have the same problem with my router, very annoying.
    i just wanted to say that this is not normal, a 600$ device should just work out of the box, samsung has to find a sollution. a will never mess with my router settings because samsung cant even make a device working.

Quote Originally Posted by YoungChrisG View Post
    Ok, so a weird thing just happend to me. My router was set on no protection or password required to connect to the router. So I changed it and enabled WPA pre-shared key and set a password. After that, my S4 started giving me the same "Failed to obtain IP address" again. So, I went back to my router and changed it back to no password required/open network, and now my S4 is connecting fine. If you're still having that problem, try that and get back to me if you don't mind. I am very curious now about this issue. If that indeed does solve your problem, I will try to notify Samsung about the issue and see if they can either help me to figure out how to use my wifi and keep my network locked, or if they can fix the issue in a future system update.

So please give this a try so I can continue to look into the issue.
    Hi, Yes, this is the same issue here, now i don't wish to leave my wifi open with no password as there are so many useres nearby who are connecting to my network. Wish if there is a proper solution for it.
    My Router is Sitecom N150 and my phone is Galaxy S4.

That was the only real answer to the problem, and worked like a gem. Thanks very much. I guess when one gets a new toy like the S4, you tend to get excitd and start turning on all kinds of things, without realising effects. That's what I had done

Quote Originally Posted by Cattails_r_Edible View Post
    My brother owned it, and I played with it for a couple of hours! Just stating facts sweetie!

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 2
    Wrong facts....... I owed HTC SENSATION and HTC ONE S....GALAXY S3 and now GALAXY S4, and I can tell you two things......... in my experience S3 and S4 has better radio than the HTC.... in addition I had all 4 at one point in time connected to my router and never had any problem. There is a thread going on here about WIFI problems and from what I have read, the problem has to do with the brand of the router. .. I have LINKSYS and never had any problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Juniper94 View Post
    I do have a Linksys router, and have the problem with the Wifi at home. My Samsung Galaxy S4 connects to my wireless network with full strength, but the Internet on the phone does not work.
    What do you mean your internet doesn't work once connected to the router ?? would you care to elaborate a bit more???

I had the same issue staying connected to my home wifi. I did ALL of the following:
    Enter *#0011# on phone keypad to enter service menu> menu key>wifi> turn off power save
    phone> settings> wifi> menu key> advanced settings> set wifi to sleep Never
    Set router to AES encryption
    Downloaded Wifix Lite and set wifi to stay connected
    not sure which one or if all fixed it but I've had no connection problems for three days

oops

Quote Originally Posted by nata_panya View Post
    Hello

The solution to your problems can be solved by adjusting your wifi settings on your s4.

By way of explanation, the s4 has wifi settings /features to help get you a better connection. But it can lead to the s4 dropping a weak wifi signal and switch to 3g or 4g unnecessarily.

Here's what you need to do (I've done it and tested it myself):

1. Settings>Connections
    2. Long tap the "wifi" word. This will take you into the available wifi connections screen.
    3. Tap the haptic menu button (to left of the home button).
    4. Select "Advanced" from the options.
    5. UNcheck the following (in other words, switch off these three settings):
    a. "Network notification"
    b. "Check for Internet service"
    c. "Disconnect weak wifi"
    You more or less have the answer on my S4. However, my advanced menu has different options--perhaps a software update. The options I have are:

Passpoint
    Keep WiFi on during sleep
    Check for internet service

The last one causes the phone to switch between wifi and cell and use the best. Well, since they installed G4 near my house, it may be faster on occasion than my wireless internet. When that happens, the phone automatically switches to G4 from wifi. Disabling the check for internet service solved my problem. So far anyway.

~Nick

I started looking at this thread because my phone has the annoying habit of turning off wifi on its own. When the wifi is turned off, I have to re-enter the password to reconnect to my AT&T U-verse modem/router. The password is ten characters long and all numeric - not something easy to remember, but something not easily broken into. My question, what do I do to keep the phone from turning wifi off. If that can't be, then is there a way to retain the password so I can more easily reconnect? The funny thing is, once I reconnect, it stays for sometimes as much as a day, but sooner or later, I lose the wifi and then I have to go through the whole reconnect routine again.

Any clues?
    Last edited by txakura; 09-24-2013 at 05:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Bowman View Post
    I had the same issue, my S4 wouldn't connect to my secure WiFi. But I have a laptop that was able to connect, no problem. I checked the properties for the connection on my laptop and it's Security Type is set to WPA2-Personal. I checked my router settings and it's Security Type setting was set to WPA/WPA2 Mixed Mode. I disabled security on my WiFi and verified that my S4 could connect. Works. I then re-enabled WiFi Security on my router but changed the Security Type Setting to WPA Personal. I restarted my S4, found my WiFi network and entered the password. Worked like a charm. I hope this helps you.

This is using a Cisco Wireless Router.
    That's defeating the purpose though. WPA is a very poor security protocol compared to WPA2 and that is the gripe right now with the Galaxy S4 is its inability to connect to a WPA2-Personal / AES setup net work in some cases (Linksys WRT54GS v6) in my case.

Quote Originally Posted by fantom305 View Post
    Something I have noticed with this kind of a problem is that every one that has a problem, owns a D-Link router ........... perhaps that is the reason ......... I myself own a LINKSYS .......... much easier to use.
    Not all - My problem is with a Linksys WRT54GS v6. I have a question that I'm curious about. Is there a preferred amount of characters that should be used in a WPA2 password?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast