Galaxy S4: Won't connect to WiFi

Faisal Qureshi

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
Re: Won't connect to WiFi

That was the only real answer to the problem, and worked like a gem. Thanks very much. I guess when one gets a new toy like the S4, you tend to get excitd and start turning on all kinds of things, without realising effects. That's what I had done

fantom305

May 21, 2011
Visit site

My brother owned it, and I played with it for a couple of hours! Just stating facts sweetie!

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 2
Wrong facts....... I owed HTC SENSATION and HTC ONE S....GALAXY S3 and now GALAXY S4, and I can tell you two things......... in my experience S3 and S4 has better radio than the HTC.... in addition I had all 4 at one point in time connected to my router and never had any problem. There is a thread going on here about WIFI problems and from what I have read, the problem has to do with the brand of the router. .. I have LINKSYS and never had any problem.

fantom305

May 21, 2011
Visit site

I do have a Linksys router, and have the problem with the Wifi at home. My Samsung Galaxy S4 connects to my wireless network with full strength, but the Internet on the phone does not work.
What do you mean your internet doesn't work once connected to the router ?? would you care to elaborate a bit more???

yoyoT63

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site

I had the same issue staying connected to my home wifi. I did ALL of the following:
Enter *#0011# on phone keypad to enter service menu> menu key>wifi> turn off power save
phone> settings> wifi> menu key> advanced settings> set wifi to sleep Never
Set router to AES encryption
Downloaded Wifix Lite and set wifi to stay connected
not sure which one or if all fixed it but I've had no connection problems for three days

nicknoblewolf

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site

Hello

The solution to your problems can be solved by adjusting your wifi settings on your s4.

By way of explanation, the s4 has wifi settings /features to help get you a better connection. But it can lead to the s4 dropping a weak wifi signal and switch to 3g or 4g unnecessarily.

Here's what you need to do (I've done it and tested it myself):

1. Settings>Connections
2. Long tap the "wifi" word. This will take you into the available wifi connections screen.
3. Tap the haptic menu button (to left of the home button).
4. Select "Advanced" from the options.
5. UNcheck the following (in other words, switch off these three settings):
a. "Network notification"
b. "Check for Internet service"
c. "Disconnect weak wifi"

You more or less have the answer on my S4. However, my advanced menu has different options--perhaps a software update. The options I have are:

Passpoint
Keep WiFi on during sleep
Check for internet service

The last one causes the phone to switch between wifi and cell and use the best. Well, since they installed G4 near my house, it may be faster on occasion than my wireless internet. When that happens, the phone automatically switches to G4 from wifi. Disabling the check for internet service solved my problem. So far anyway.

~Nick

txakura

May 18, 2013
Visit site

I started looking at this thread because my phone has the annoying habit of turning off wifi on its own. When the wifi is turned off, I have to re-enter the password to reconnect to my AT&T U-verse modem/router. The password is ten characters long and all numeric - not something easy to remember, but something not easily broken into. My question, what do I do to keep the phone from turning wifi off. If that can't be, then is there a way to retain the password so I can more easily reconnect? The funny thing is, once I reconnect, it stays for sometimes as much as a day, but sooner or later, I lose the wifi and then I have to go through the whole reconnect routine again.

Any clues?

Last edited:

August59

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site

I had the same issue, my S4 wouldn't connect to my secure WiFi. But I have a laptop that was able to connect, no problem. I checked the properties for the connection on my laptop and it's Security Type is set to WPA2-Personal. I checked my router settings and it's Security Type setting was set to WPA/WPA2 Mixed Mode. I disabled security on my WiFi and verified that my S4 could connect. Works. I then re-enabled WiFi Security on my router but changed the Security Type Setting to WPA Personal. I restarted my S4, found my WiFi network and entered the password. Worked like a charm. I hope this helps you.

This is using a Cisco Wireless Router.

That's defeating the purpose though. WPA is a very poor security protocol compared to WPA2 and that is the gripe right now with the Galaxy S4 is its inability to connect to a WPA2-Personal / AES setup net work in some cases (Linksys WRT54GS v6) in my case.

August59

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site

Something I have noticed with this kind of a problem is that every one that has a problem, owns a D-Link router ........... perhaps that is the reason ......... I myself own a LINKSYS .......... much easier to use.

Not all - My problem is with a Linksys WRT54GS v6. I have a question that I'm curious about. Is there a preferred amount of characters that should be used in a WPA2 password?

heavy diaper

Oct 25, 2013
Visit site

I started looking at this thread because my phone has the annoying habit of turning off wifi on its own. When the wifi is turned off, I have to re-enter the password to reconnect to my AT&T U-verse modem/router. The password is ten characters long and all numeric - not something easy to remember, but something not easily broken into. My question, what do I do to keep the phone from turning wifi off. If that can't be, then is there a way to retain the password so I can more easily reconnect? The funny thing is, once I reconnect, it stays for sometimes as much as a day, but sooner or later, I lose the wifi and then I have to go through the whole reconnect routine again.

Any clues?

BUMP THIS! Having the same problem and have tried every "fix" I've found on any forum, to no avail. Yes I have tried checking all the right boxes and resetting modem/router, phone, forgetting the Wifi on the phone etc. If this phone doesn't start connecting to the internet (which my 4 year old iPhone 3G could still do quite well) very soon I am going to take it back and get an iPhone. Please don't let me go back to the dark side. I want to love Andriod...I really do....help me fix this! :)

Kimberly Taylor

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site

nata_panya, Thank you!!! I have a Samsung Note 3 and I did exactly what you said and it finally worked. My router is a net gear. Everyone thought it had to do with the fact that I had Dish internet but after your fix, you proved them wrong! Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!

Seren Esp

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site

Not sure if this will help but I was running kasperski security on my S4. I had been using it for a while but 2 weeks ago I uninstalled it temporarily because my phones proxy settings kept changing from none to manual, preventing me from connecting to the Internet and after some research, I suspected the kasperski software was at fault. I reinstalled it again yesterday to see if it happened again, it didn't, BUT today my S4 wouldn't connect to my wifi because apparently the connection was too slow. After reading this message thread I've uninstalled kasperski again on a hunch and l can now connect again with no problems.
Check if you've installed any new apps recently that may be affecting your connections.

galfaqih

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site

nata_panya is on the right track.

I have a Verizon S4 and connected to a new open network. I then got a network unstable message and was asked if I wanted to enable "auto network switch" to which I replied yes. From that point forward I got the same "Network disabled because internet connection is slow" message. I followed nata_panya's advice but had different options, one of which was "auto network switch" which I disabled and all was well again. Thanks nata_panya.

electricplectrum

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site

I just got my Samsung Galaxy S4, and kept getting the "Network disabled because internet connection is slow" or "Failed to obtain IP address" errors. I tried manually entering settings, using WPS with a pin, using WPS with a push button, nothing seemed to work - and all of our other laptops, tablets, and old phones were working just fine on the same wireless network.

I have a D-Link router. I had to log into the router (from a computer on the network), under the advanced wireless settings I had to disable "Short GI". This may not be the same issue for everyone, but now my phone has been working flawlessly on the WiFi.

This might be a different setting on different brand routers, but look for something similar - here's what D-Link says it is: "Using a short (400ns) guard interval can increase throughput. However, it can also increase error rate in some installations, due to increased sensitivity to radio-frequency reflections. Select the option that works best for your installation."

Works! Thanks a bunch!

Vonbare

May 9, 2014
Visit site
I had this problem with my Galaxy and I struggled to find a solution for months. But today, I upgraded the firmware on my ROUTER (nothing to do with my phone) and voila! My phone connected straight away to my wifi.

Might be worth checking your router firmware.

Goodluck :)

ipb76

Mar 11, 2014
Visit site
anyone know a solution yet.. ?

Hi,
Before everyone moans, i have seached extensively and tried many of the suggested solutions for this and none of them work.

Samsung S4 GTI9505 Andriod 4.4.2
(It owkrs on all other wifi networks fine - my iphone works fine on all including this work one in question)

Initally i connected to WIFI at work.
It redirects me to my comapny login /authentication page - i register and it works fine.

I had to send my phone away to be fixed (screen - for the second time - another gripe )

Upon getting my phone back i connect to the WIFI
I show full connection but the internet doesn't work at all.

( it does not go to the authentication page)
Last time after a number of weeks/moths it randomly asked me to login again and then it works fine.
So assume after a period of time, my phone has forgotten this network or has been forgotten.

I need to be able to do this manually.
I have tried factpry reset, clear cache, forgeting networks, along with so many other things, date correction, using on flight mode, changing to manual proxy etc....

Does anyone have a solution - how to completly forget the wifi network?

Any help appreciated, as I spent another 3 hours going over the same sites and forums wityh nothing new, makes me want to throw this f*%king s4 against the wall

Thanks
Ian

Muhammad Rais Isze

May 19, 2014
Visit site
Simple. Just check your router/internet ip address that you want to connect ..
How to check router/internet ip address . the easy way is ask your friends who can connect the wifi/router to open wifi setting from mobile phone.. follow these step :
go to setting --->wireless and network ---> long press the wifi that connected ---> modify network ---> copy the ip address

Then go to your smart phone , go to setting --->wireless and network ---> long press the wifi that you want to connect ---> enter wifi password ---> thick advanced setting ----> go to ip setting , change from DHCP to static -----> enter your router/internet ip address .. Done ...but u need to repeat the steps every time you want to connect to the wifi.. You must reset to factory setting in future to permanently fixed the error... Good Luck

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante