S4 volume issues

chrisallanriley

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
All

Hopefully an Android expert can help me out as me keeping my S4 or handing it back after a few days hangs in the balance on this issue.

I'm coming over to Android after years of iPhone ownership and am enjoying the new experience but I have one issue - the very low volume, specifically through the headphones. I use my phone using headphones at the gym nearly every day and video, music, you tube, whatever is far, far too quiet. Im a techie by trade and have done some research into this. The perfect solution seems to be to hack the default_gain.conf to increase the headphone volume as thats all I need but it doesnt seem to exist on the S4.. Im not interested in rooting the phone or solving the issue using an app.

Has anyone got a workaround? I'd love to keep the phone but, at the moment at least, i'd have to send it back. :'(

Thanks in advance.

Chris

satannik

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Are you deaf ? The sound is beyond loud through earphones and the speaker. You must have a bad device. Send it back.

Sent from my rooted Samsung Galaxy S 4

patelkedar91

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
Are you deaf ? The sound is beyond loud through earphones and the speaker. You must have a bad device. Send it back.

Sent from my rooted Samsung Galaxy S 4
Not a great way to respond to a convert. =/

Anyway, have you tried those same earbuds in another phone? Have you tried switching out earbuds?

Here's a video that looks at the speaker (not the earphones, sorry). Check if this sounds accurate on your device... 11:45-12:00.
Samsung Galaxy S4 In-depth Review And User Experience - YouTube

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
All

Hopefully an Android expert can help me out as me keeping my S4 or handing it back after a few days hangs in the balance on this issue.

I'm coming over to Android after years of iPhone ownership and am enjoying the new experience but I have one issue - the very low volume, specifically through the headphones. I use my phone using headphones at the gym nearly every day and video, music, you tube, whatever is far, far too quiet. Im a techie by trade and have done some research into this. The perfect solution seems to be to hack the default_gain.conf to increase the headphone volume as thats all I need but it doesnt seem to exist on the S4.. Im not interested in rooting the phone or solving the issue using an app.

Has anyone got a workaround? I'd love to keep the phone but, at the moment at least, i'd have to send it back. :'(

Thanks in advance.

Chris

You can try this app called Volume+
It increases the volume of the overall sound...worked well on my stock GS3
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...nav_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDNd&token=m-PXnE0d

Also it could be something in your audio settings, or try another pair of headphones
Try to increase the volume on the music player itself and not just the phone
When increasing the volume on the phone make sure the "Media" volume is up...that is for the music

chrisallanriley

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
Guys

Thanks for the replies - some much more helpful than others. Here's the facts as I see them:

I've tried a couple of different headphones. The volume on all of them are the same.
I have been using MX player to view video. Playing a standard file .mkv file it's very quiet. If I convert the same mkv file to mp4 then MX player allows me to boost the volume by 200 and then that's plenty loud enough.
I dont think the phone is defective at all.
I use my headphones at the gym. With external music playing and the noise of things like treadmill, it gets very loud.
I think I need to hack the phone as mentioned here Volume Hacks and the Samsung Galaxy S III [Root and non-root] | AndroidAudioHacks which mentions hacking the default_gain.sys. This seems work OK for the S3 but I can't find the file on the S4 (I guess it's been moved). I could do with seeing if I can find that file now. Any ideas anyone?

Thanks

Chris

LoganK

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
I think I need to hack the phone as mentioned here Volume Hacks and the Samsung Galaxy S III [Root and non-root] | AndroidAudioHacks which mentions hacking the default_gain.sys. This seems work OK for the S3 but I can't find the file on the S4 (I guess it's been moved). I could do with seeing if I can find that file now. Any ideas anyone?

That was for the Exynos-based S III. I haven't heard if the gain is configurable on the Exynos-based S 4, but it, once again, probably won't be configurable on the Qualcomm systems.

I think if it's too quiet, then you'll probably have to wait until the linked applications, or something similar, are updated.

You could also switch to Bluetooth headphones...

Logansmom32

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
This may be a silly question but have you tried the "Adapt Sound" feature? Under "my device" Settings>Sounds>Adapt Sound (all the way at the bottom). I hope this helps! :)

chrisallanriley

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
Ahh right I see, so it depends on the type of processor/exact phone model. Thanks for the info. Would bluetooth headphones give a sound boost?

Logansmom32 - Thanks for the info, I did try that. There are no silly questions when it comes to Android as far as i'm concerned. Steep learning curve!!

Chris

LoganK

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
Ahh right I see, so it depends on the type of processor/exact phone model. Thanks for the info. Would bluetooth headphones give a sound boost?

With Bluetooth, it's entirely up to the headphones. It will be loud or quiet depending on whether the manufacturer made the headsets that way.

Other than dynamic range (the quiet parts sound quiet and the loud parts sound loud), the phone isn't really involved. Generally, a high dynamic range is considered good, but, especially in noisy environments, when people want "loud" what they really are asking for is dynamic range compression. Unfortunately, I don't think this is a standard Android feature, and I don't think Samsung includes anything like this.

HOLLYWOODANT215

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Far as music power amp makes a big difference in the way my music sound compared to stock especially in my car and headphones... Best app u will buy well besides swift key

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Cigar-Junkie

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I love the bluetooth headphones, no more getting hung up on every bar or handle I walk by. The volume on my headphones (motorola) adjusts the phone volume not just the headphone volume.

Logansmom32 - Thanks for the info, I did try that. There are no silly questions when it comes to Android as far as i'm concerned. Steep learning curve!!

Chris

ibex333

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I also have an issue. but its with in-call volume. Its just not loud enough, unless I press the phone against my ear. With the iPhone I could hold the phone about 2-3 inches away and still hear fine... : (

japclev

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Well, I have been loving the S4 and decided to hook up my Bluetooth to listen while I worked. I totally agree the that sound is low. I have tried everything even Volume + which I used coming over from all HTC Evo products. I hated the look feel and Sense of the One, but they got the loud sound cornered even if a bit crackly. Going to try to QPST or some other workarounds. Bummed.

EDIT: Well, I went back and put the Samsung headphones in and WahLah volume super loud...then went back to Bluetooth and made sure it was paired so phone said "media audio" paired and WahLah again...super loud. Back to being a perfect phone until the next issue.

Last edited:

ak2905

May 20, 2013
Visit site
I have the same issue with my S4. But recently I have spotted that the volume decreases when some app or even apps are running on background. During playback try to go to RAM Manager and push Clear memory button. The volume will increase instantly, but as soon as some other apps are running the volume will jump up and down. Unfo I have no idea how to fix it. Anyone??

DioramaMaker

May 2, 2013
Visit site
I don't know about you guys but mine actually warns me how it can be bad for your hearing when I turn it up. I only max it out when I have it AUX'd up in the car. I think you may have a hardware problem, because mine can get pretty loud, but then again I don't blow my ears out with headphones like a lot of people (not implying you, just a statement :)). Middle range is about where I fall typically.

-You may look into pushing the volume keys in general when unlocked, and then tapping the settings gear next to the meter, check each slider level
-Try an EQ in music. I used "Auto" and it matches my old iPhone's bass for all the songs I want it to.
-Overall though, I have heard of a few sound issues with some hardware though, so it could be probable. If possible, it's better to be safe than sorry.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maximusdebois