Moving over from the Apple system... having a bit of a hard time.

texasotts

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Hmm I don't have any issues with mine. I have actually been an iPhone user for four years and left my iPhone 5 for a Samsung 3 and now 4. I actually could care less what phone people prefer, to each his own but the fact that you have an iPhone and you're wasting time on an Android forum is lame. Who cares if you don't like it. You must just like simple. Don't knock the phone just because you don't understand the operating system. Go to the apple forums and spout there. You can say what you want but you're the one that just can't get enough or else you would have no reason to be here. I have done so much more on this phone then I ever did with my iPhone.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Android Central Forums

Jim Mitchell1

May 5, 2013
Visit site
New iPhone convert here. I am trying to figure out how to get my GMAIL icon to display the "1" alert when I get an incoming message similar to the standard Samsung icon. I have tried a few different things and it seemingly won't work. Playing around and I am sure I will have a few other questions. Thanks!

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
There alot if problems thats why I stayed away from it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2
Riiight, except you don't have one and I do so these problems you speak of are in your head. This is by far the best phone I've ever had. Fast and smooth. And half price.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

rootyourphones

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
Riiight, except you don't have one and I do so these problems you speak of are in your head. This is by far the best phone I've ever had. Fast and smooth. And half price.

Sorry but I use to have one like I stated above I buy every android that comes out and test them if I don't like them or issues than I sell them.

texasotts

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
I had the very first android phone, the G1. Obviously you're a troll, judging by your forum name. That, and considering the hardware specs of at least 25 percent of Android phones are greater than that of an iPhone, the fact that you had lag on and android is likely due to bloat ware and the like. The Nexus 4 is completely AOSP, which, since you seem to be a developer, you should know that it is completely minimalistic with little lag whatsoever comparable to the iPhone 5 or any other variant. If you are going to bash android, learn what you are speaking of, because truly vanilla android does not lag or any of the symptoms you speak of. Most lag derives from carrier software. If you don't like it, 'rootyourphones' as your screen name suggests and delete the bloat ware. But you should know that, eh?
I won't feed the trolls. Don't act as if you know who I am or what I do.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Android Central Forums

GiantJay

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
Sorry but I use to have one like I stated above I buy every android that comes out and test them if I don't like them or issues than I sell them.

You buy every Android device.that comes out huh. Wow are you a king somewhere and will give me millions of dollars if I just send you some money up front? You are a troll go back under your bridge and stop talking. You get stupider with each post, stop now. And even worse you are trolling in broken English.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

rootyourphones

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
You buy every Android device.that comes out huh. Wow are you a king somewhere and will give me millions of dollars if I just send you some money up front? You are a troll go back under your bridge and stop talking. You get stupider with each post, stop now. And even worse you are trolling in broken English.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

I would love it for you to say it in face .

fishepa

Mar 19, 2013
Visit site
On my iPhone emails, texts, and other notifications go to my lock screen so I can see them from there. Does this functionality also work on the S4? Thanks

zipro

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
On my iPhone emails, texts, and other notifications go to my lock screen so I can see them from there. Does this functionality also work on the S4? Thanks

Yeah, just enable the lock screen widgets and get the free dash clock widget from the play store, then add it to the lock screen. Dash screen comes with a variety of options to display your mails, messages, Facebook stuff, missed calls etc.

You can also add GMail and other widgets directly to your lock screen, that'll let you see your whole inbox for example.

The new customizable lock screen in Android 4.2 (that the S4 ships with) runs circles around the iPhone's. It's one area where Android really shines. The same goes for the whole rest of the notification system.

Triangle Choke

May 5, 2013
Visit site
I too have made the switch from iphone 4 to SG4, and on the whole, I'm really enjoying the Android experience.

I must say I was a little shocked at the size of the phone when I received it, in comparisson to my old iphone. (Stupidity on my part for not really checking first), but after a day or so, I've started ot get used to it's shape, and a decent case with grip has helped me to keep it safe in my hands.

I absolutely love the simplicity in moving files between my Laptop and Phone now, so much easier than messing around with iTunes. The whole Android experience seems more user friendly.

The only gripe I have is that there no 'Return to top of page function' that IOS has, which was really handy when reading long amounts of web text on some pages.

dfb8085

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
First let me say this is a great thread. There have been a lot of helpful people on here which is lacking on some other forums. As it will be a at least a year before I change phones again I am looking at Android and studying it. I had a S3 and gave it to my daughter when her upgrade was available and I got a Iphone 5. Mistake or not I am not sure. I guess I have come to the decision there is not one OS out there that does everything a person likes it to or in a way they want it to. I think I can manage the move back to Android later but the question I had was how about the contacts and calendar on the Iphone and in iCloud. I would love to be able to continue to use these 2 accounts as my contacts and calendar with Android. Is there a way to setup a caldev and a carddev account in Android so the sync will continue on only these 2 items? I know you can export and import and all the stuff but I would prefer to just continue to use these namely because I use a macair laptop and then things would continue to show up in my iCal and contacts on the macair.

coryh131

May 2, 2013
Visit site
I originally upgraded to the iPhone 5 then bought the galaxy s3,had it two days and gave up and returned it. Then went back to my iPhone and missed the galaxy so I went back and bought it again and never looked back. I cannot stand my husband's iPhone now. It will grow on you. The customization is endless.

I did the same thing. I used iPhone for years before buying the S3. After a few weeks of the S3 I went back to ios and got the iPhone 5. Surprisingly I found myself really missing the S3. I sold my iPhone online and bought the Note 2 when it came out. Now I have the S4 and LOVE IT!

As others have said, switching systems becomes a new way of thinking and takes a while.

daaarn

May 5, 2013
Visit site
Current iPhone 5 user and although I've been satisfied with it for the most part (I've got some minor gripes, but I think I'm mainly just bored with it), I had been eyeing a switch to android, the galaxy s4 specifically. So when it finally came out, I jumped at the chance to buy it. I really like the interface and customizability of android, but the big problem is the physical size of the s4. I have small hands so the iPhone was just the right size for one handed use. As much as I like the bigger screen, ergonomically, the s4 just doesn't feel comfortable in use even after having it for almost a week. There are a few other quirks (some lag that although slight, is still quite noticeable; some touch screen sensitivity issues...) that I'm nitpicky about, but could've probably overlooked, but the size is the big thing.

6dante6

May 5, 2013
Visit site
Not sure if this got addressed, but Google Plus will keep your photos at full size up to 5GB. After that, they automatically resize them to 2048px at the longest edge. Or you can set all to upload at 2048 for unlimited storage. And they allow unlimited video at 1080p or less resolution, 15 minutes or less in duration. I believe they will downgrade the video quality, though.

I love the Samsung keyboard. I haven't tried any others, but this has done everything I needed so far. Particularly, holding down keys for punctuation. I love holding down the 'n' key for a comma and space, or any other key for other punctuations. And the numbers across the top and quick transition to handwriting is so awesome.

I've been with the phone for about 2 weeks and came from iPhone 5. Had iPhone since 3g. Absolutely love the S4.

+Jim Mitchell1 The stock email app will show you badge notifications. It fetches email at intervals, though, as opposed to immediate push. I saw a post on this forum about Nova launcher that resolved this issue, but I don't have a link right now. Search 'Nova launcher Gmail' and you should be able to pull it up.

Last edited:

Bobman

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
First let me say this is a great thread. There have been a lot of helpful people on here which is lacking on some other forums. As it will be a at least a year before I change phones again I am looking at Android and studying it. I had a S3 and gave it to my daughter when her upgrade was available and I got a Iphone 5. Mistake or not I am not sure. I guess I have come to the decision there is not one OS out there that does everything a person likes it to or in a way they want it to. I think I can manage the move back to Android later but the question I had was how about the contacts and calendar on the Iphone and in iCloud. I would love to be able to continue to use these 2 accounts as my contacts and calendar with Android. Is there a way to setup a caldev and a carddev account in Android so the sync will continue on only these 2 items? I know you can export and import and all the stuff but I would prefer to just continue to use these namely because I use a macair laptop and then things would continue to show up in my iCal and contacts on the macair.

I don't think you can do this with iCloud. I think it is an Apple restriction. Not the answer you want, but I highly recommend using Google for all this. Your Google calender and contacts will sync with your iPhone, Macbook Air iCal, address book etc.

My Google mail, contacts and calendar sync perfectly with my combination of Galaxy Note 2, iPad, and Macbook Air. I've used iCloud, and do not recommend it to people because of the lack of flexibility in working with non - apple products. I love both Apple and Android, but can't stand iCloud.

dfb8085

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Ok I took your suggestion. I exported my apple contacts and calendar events and imported them into google. Setup the google accounts on my iphone, macair and its all synced up. One thing I haven't checked is if it does sync both ways no matter what device you put it on it show sup on all the others. Can you add any insight to that?

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Not sure about stock S4 but Nova launcher allows this.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital