Do I have to do a full battery charge for the first charge?

tarball

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
First battery charge

I was wondering if I need to full charge the cell before to power up the first time ? Would it help the battery life ?

goelz83

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Re: First battery charge

No, it will not make a difference. Once it gets down to 5-15% charge it fully and then just use it like you normally would. I charge my phone every night and I will probably continue to do it the same way when I get my GS4.

KeboPR

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site

Nope, you can use it out of the box, but fully charge it over the night.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Android Central Forums

Gene Takooree

May 13, 2013
Visit site

I bought the Galaxy S4 on thursday the guy in the shop set it up before any charging took place, i got home charged it for around 4 hours i went out got home it was 100% so i unplugged it the battery didnt last long at all would drop 5% in a few minutes with nothing running.... took it back got a new one today... charged it for 6 hours! 13:30 - 19:30 and set everything up after, now at 1:19 its on 1%
-___- Someone tell me how long to charge this phone for to get the best use out of it my friends have the phone and im hearing different times.

Gene Takooree

May 13, 2013
Visit site

6 and half hours is CRAP! thats how long its lasted
I bought the Galaxy S4 on thursday the guy in the shop set it up before any charging took place, i got home charged it for around 4 hours i went out got home it was 100% so i unplugged it the battery didnt last long at all would drop 5% in a few minutes with nothing running.... took it back got a new one today... charged it for 6 hours! 13:30 - 19:30 and set everything up after, now at 1:19 its on 1%
-___- Someone tell me how long to charge this phone for to get the best use out of it my friends have the phone and im hearing different times.

Omen Lock

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site

When you take it out first time from the box it has Little charge use it until the phone die then keep it off and charge it . It should take about 4 hours then use it until it die again and charge it when its off , do this about 3 times and your phone and battery will give you full performance.

CrossClown

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site

When I first got mine on Sunday, I let the battery completely die and then I charged it fully without using it. Then I went about setting it up by disabling multiple apps that wasn't needed and such. Right now the drain is fine with light/moderate use. At light/moderate use I haven't dropped below 63% within a 12.5 hours. Idk if you really have to drain the battery 3 times just to get it to work superbly. I might give it a shot and drain it another 2 times but it's so damn hard to drain my battery completely.lol

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site

I have been told you run your new battery life to about 10%
Then charge overnight.
I don't think there is any advantage to that at all. It's probably a tiny bit of extra, unnecessary wear, but nothing you'll be able to measure or notice. I don't think there's any need to "calibrate" the battery or charger anymore. It may have been true in the past, but they have a really good idea of what the limits of the battery are when new so you won't get any better performance by running your battery down. It just adds unnecessary, but again, probably not noticeable, wear on the battery.

I think they say to charge it fully right away to make absolutely sure it has enough battery to get everything in your phone set up without the battery running out. It's probably a super extreme case, but if you had enough apps to re download, enough backup stuff to restore and the battery were at a low enough level you could run out of battery during the set up process. That would probably be bad. So they say to charge it fully to relieve themselves of any blame if it ever happens.

mv groga

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site

i was very disappointed by instructions i received in my samsung galaxy product. No data on the carging part whatsoever, only that i should charge it "longer" for the first time. I was always pleased with samsung, but if they think i will search and source this stuff out in my free time they are wrong.

I came home, charged it for 12 hours and then started to use it, to hell with everything else... I respect ur opinion guyz, but seriously i think everything is bunch of "kwatch".
Keep up the rational mind flowing and androids busy!

Shanicenicolle

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site

Indyvader

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site

That's BS!!... That was to do with the old nickel-based batteries, such as the old analogue Nokia phones and so on. Not the modern smartphones, even tho this site is to do with Android in general. Most, if not - all modern smartphones when brand new, generally have around 40% charged while brand new in the box. For longevity of your batteries, it is always wise to fully charge your new phone on first use. [I have always done this!! I have owned Samsung Galaxy S2, Note, and now Note 3 for the past cpl of mths!!] You know, that if you don't "teach" your rechargeable batteries their full potential by taking them from totally full to totally empty, they'll "forget" part of their capacity. This is an absolute rule and is so true!! :D Here is a very good article... How To Take Care of Your Smartphone Battery the Right Way

Last edited:

Indyvader

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site

I have been told you run your new battery life to about 10%
Then charge overnight.
That's BS!!... That was to do with the old nickel-based batteries, such as the old analogue Nokia phones and so on. Not the modern smartphones, even tho this site is to do with Android in general. Most, if not - all modern smartphones when brand new, generally have around 40% charged while brand new in the box. For longevity of your batteries, it is always wise to fully charge your new phone on first use. [I have always done this!! I have owned Samsung Galaxy S2, Note, and now Note 3 for the past cpl of mths!!] You know, that if you don't "teach" your rechargeable batteries their full potential by taking them from totally full to totally empty, they'll "forget" part of their capacity. This is an absolute rule and is so true!! Here is a very good article...

How To Take Care of Your Smartphone Battery the Right Way

Edible Walrus

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site

When I got mine I charged fully first before turning it on for the first time. Now I charge when I hit between 0 and 15%. I also charge when I need a full charge. I get 10 too 27 hours depending on usage

Posted via Android Central App

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site

I normally charge my phone every time I get between 5-30 %.

Although there are times at work that I charge it even if I'm between 40-65%.

Sent From Inside The TARDIS in a Galaxy S4 Away!

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site

The S4 Batteries DO NOT HOLD A MEMORY! All these fancy things people are doing are complete BS! Charge it anytime, charge it on or off, out of the box or whatever! It makes no difference.

T-Media LLC

Apr 18, 2015
Visit site
All smart phones when unpacked come with about 50% default battery life, which is technically just 20%. So when you buy a new smart phone, u got to use it till the existing charge runs out, then it is mandatory to charge for full 8 hours. Thought it will show 100% charge within 1 hour, you should leave it on for full 8 hours with the phone off.. do not use it while charging..once the 8 hour first charge is complete, then your battery is good to go.. it will give you good battery life. For some reason the battery manufactures do not mention it neither does the phone company nor the dealer who sells the product...May be to sell more batteries..

extraclass

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Quit worrying about the battery. Plug it in before you go to bed an unplug it when you get up in the morning! There is a charger built into the phone and it takes care of the battery. It can not overcharge, can not over discharge and can not develop a memory effect!

If I use my S-4 a lot during the day I plug it in the car or on my desk just to be sure it has enough charge to make it to bedtime. Batteries usually outlast my phones doing this..
Lithium batteries do not like to be deep discharged. The built in circuit will cut the phone off before the battery is discharged too far!

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xd3dp1gX