Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Default Re: Signal strength on S4

i have to agree. My last phone was a motorola droid razr, in my condo i usually get 4-5 bars (so its not a maxed coverage area), but with the samsung im getting 2 bars on most days...
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #27  

I have had my S4 for a couple weeks now and I am pleased to report that that radio on the AT&T version is very good. It compares to the Note2 and is better than the iPhone 5. I was with a coworker the other day, driving through a rural area. He has an iPhone 5. I carried on a conversation while he had no signal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Current Devices:
    OnePlus One
    LG G3 - AT&T
    Motorola Moto X - unlocked GSM
    Samsung Galaxy Note 8 - LTE AT&T
    Apple iPad Mini Retina - 32GB LTE

Quote Originally Posted by ravindersng View Post
    Galaxy s4 has very poor signal strength
    I think this is very unfair to say this about the S4........... I don't think is the phone ...instead is the service provider and the place where you live .......... personally I found that my S4 signal is better than my S3 and my HTC one S........... the S4 reception can only compare to my BlackBerry that I had several years ago .............

Edit: wrong thread

Quote Originally Posted by jneusch View Post
    I have had my S4 for a couple weeks now and I am pleased to report that that radio on the AT&T version is very good. It compares to the Note2 and is better than the iPhone 5. I was with a coworker the other day, driving through a rural area. He has an iPhone 5. I carried on a conversation while he had no signal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    +1 on the att version. Strong signals in lte and wifi.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337
    Nexus 6 (64GB), Moto X 32GB Pure, iPhone 6 Plus Unlocked, OnePlus One (64GB),Xperia Z2, LG G3, Lumia 925 8.1 Cyan, Nexus 5 (32GB), Moto X (32GB), Lumia 1020, Google Edition S4, Galaxy S4 (32GB), S4 Active, Nexus 4, Note 2, Galaxy S3, Galaxy Note (ATT), Galaxy Note Intl., Galaxy S2 Skyrocket, Nexus S, Atrix 2, Atrix, Galaxy S1 Captivate, Nexus 7 (32GB), iPad 4, Dell Venue Pro 8, iPad Air 2

Global Posts
    864 Global Posts

*The GS4 isnt on the lists yet*

20 highest-radiation cell phones (United States) - CNET Reviews

20 lowest-radiation cell phones (United States) - CNET Reviews

You can click on different manufactures on the left. For GS3 models you have to click on the left. I will post a link here anyway for GS3 models: (scroll down for the GS3 models)

Cell phone radiation levels - CNET Reviews

The highest and lowest ranking and specific models are from Oct 2012....but I wanted to post this as a reference. All things being equal...the higher the SAR level....the better the reception in weaker areas. Notice which phones dominate the highest and lowest rankings..... This might be a case of it is what it is.

**Doing some searching I found some SAR levels for the GS4**

Samsung Galaxy S4 Radiation Level Revealed

take the LTE off, your signal will get better, at least from my experience

I have the s3 and the signal strength is the worst I've ever had. I do most of my work in and around Dallas, GA. and most days I can't even use my phone until I get home. I never had this problem with my razr maxx, definitely going back to motorola since samsung worries more about other features instead of making it function as a phone first.

i have no problem with signal strength. in fact the strength is way better than my old phone. i used to own a htc.

I will say that the signal strength for me has been very good. Unlike those who wouldn't admit that past Samsung devices had poor radio compared to the competition, the S4 is much improved. At work, in areas where the S3 struggle to keep a data signal and the iPhone had no issues, I consistently have a couple bars of LTE with the S4.
    Mobile Devices: Nexus 5 32GB Black
    Carrier: AT&T
    Computer: MacBook Pro (2012) 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD
    Other devices: iPad Mini

The Basics: Unlocking and Rooting - http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc...hing-roms.html
    jroc likes this.

Global Posts
    864 Global Posts

I think with some manufactures its more of a roll of the dice about reception vs the competition. Like it may take a person to go thru 5 phones to get one with decent reception vs just 1 or 2 with another OEM. Or like some are posting newer models are better than the older ones. I plan on getting a GS4 and HTC One when I get a chance for some real comparisons with my current phone. The good and bad thing for me is I live n work in a bad reception area....so I can see real quick if there are reception issues with any phone.

just got mine today and the S4 is as good if not better than the S3. (For me, where I live, with my carrier)
    tabs31 likes this.

Got the Verizon edition in today and the signal strength is just fine. We live out in the middle of the woods and have 1-2 bars of 3G on the iPhone 5 and Note 2. The new S4 has the same 1-2 bars of 3G out here and that's great.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #39  

Quote Originally Posted by jeffjr82 View Post
    I have the s3 and the signal strength is the worst I've ever had. I do most of my work in and around Dallas, GA. and most days I can't even use my phone until I get home. I never had this problem with my razr maxx, definitely going back to motorola since samsung worries more about other features instead of making it function as a phone first.
    My S3 was bad as well. The S4 is much improved.

Posted via Android Central App
    Current Devices:
    OnePlus One
    LG G3 - AT&T
    Motorola Moto X - unlocked GSM
    Samsung Galaxy Note 8 - LTE AT&T
    Apple iPad Mini Retina - 32GB LTE

My TMobile is better than my old s2

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Android Central Forums

How about with the Verizon S4?
    Device: Verizon Note2

Global Posts
    33 Global Posts

About 2 days in with my new S4, and it's signal strength is better than my Droid Charge. There's a spot in my house I'd drop calls about a third of the time with the Charge, but I've had no such issue with the S4 so far. I've been pleased with it's clarity and strength. (Verizon)
    jroc likes this.

These answers are going to be so varied...I am using Telus in Toronto. With my S4 I only got 2 bars at home. Just switched to the Note 2 and I get 4 bars consistently at home. But the strength didn't affect call quality on the S4 and I didn't have any dropped calls or bad connections.
    jroc likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by brianphrack View Post
    I would certainly like to know, thanks.

You also may want to concider a microcell from AT&T for your house. Sprint gives them out for free in poor signal areas, AT&T, which I'm switching to, said they would do the same if I had signal issues.
    Seems microcells are unknown or not admitted to exist by Telus in Canada.

The signal strength is identical between the two S4's. Very bad signal strength in my area. Side-by-side an iPhone 4S and a blackberry bold (an old cheap one), the S4 comes out losing every time. I did a few tests. That's at least testing on Telus in White Rock, Surrey, Burnaby, Richmond, and Vancouver in British Columbia. Haven't really gone out of my way to visit somewhere further away to see.

My next order of business is trying to get my area to have a signal. Telus claims we have a maxed bar signal in our neighbourhood and that our house should be covered extremely well. Definitely not...

I've been using my S4 for about a week now on Verizon. I find the signal strength about the same as my Droid Bionic and close to my wife's Razr Maxx. I've used the phone at home, work and at our cabin in the mountains. 4G LTE signal in all locations, although it is weaker at the cabin due to lack of towers nearby and at work where we have always had a weak 3g and 4g signal. I've very happy with the signal strength.

I went from a 4S to the S4, and the signal is horrible compared the 4S. I love the bigger screen, but I kinda miss my iphone.

I get amble signal strength with my ATT S4. It's equal to or better than the signals I got with all my previous iPhones.

Not entirely. Perhaps he is like me, and with three phones in one location, the S4 is worse than the other two. One is an HTC Incredible, the other is an iphone, I believe v4. So, I support the assertion that the S4 has poor reception. I can't even text message in places where I was previously able to maintain a phone call with my Incredible. I think I have one more week for my trial on this phoen with Verizon in NJ, so I'll probably exchange it. I wish Verizon carried the HTC DNA in my area...

I have had t mobile for years without issues but the day I switched to the s4, I experienced dropped calls. I also barely get signal in places I always could before. Very dissatisfied

Quote Originally Posted by Judy Nelluvelil View Post
    I have had t mobile for years without issues but the day I switched to the s4, I experienced dropped calls. I also barely get signal in places I always could before. Very dissatisfied
    Couldn't agree more.

A phone first and foremost needs to function as a phone. Signal strength ties a few other features as a #1 feature that must be excellent in a phone. When a phone fails on these basic things, it ends up being a failure from the ground up...
    Thanked by 2:
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast