Signal strength on S4

sean8102

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Inside my house we get pretty weak HSPA+ coverage with AT&T. The S4 dose seem to do a little bit better than my previous phone, a Optimus G. The WiFi reception on the S4 compared to the Optimus G however is noticeably better, but I think that was a common complaint of the Optimus G.

docporter

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I have had an S3 for several months. Upgraded to S4 four days ago. I am on AT&T. Signal side by side: S3 -83 dBm 15 asu S4 -105 dBm 3 aSu. That is a 22 dBm difference, which means the S4 is showing 1,000 times weaker signal! Even though the signal being reported by the S4 is 1,000 times weaker, call quality sounds the same. I wonder if it just something in the software that makes the S4 report a much lower signal strength? I'm going to take them to the AT&T store this weekend to see what is up.

Statusnone

Jul 24, 2011
Visit site
My back office for work had terrible reception with my S3 and Note 2. My area has LTE with AT&T and I would get pushed to faux 4G and barely a bar of service. Now with my S4 I get consistently 2-3 bars and LTE in the exact same spot.

Kevin Tang

May 16, 2013
Visit site
i have to agree. My last phone was a motorola droid razr, in my condo i usually get 4-5 bars (so its not a maxed coverage area), but with the samsung im getting 2 bars on most days...

jneusch

May 18, 2011
Visit site
I have had my S4 for a couple weeks now and I am pleased to report that that radio on the AT&T version is very good. It compares to the Note2 and is better than the iPhone 5. I was with a coworker the other day, driving through a rural area. He has an iPhone 5. I carried on a conversation while he had no signal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

fantom305

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Galaxy s4 has very poor signal strength
I think this is very unfair to say this about the S4........... I don't think is the phone ...instead is the service provider and the place where you live .......... personally I found that my S4 signal is better than my S3 and my HTC one S........... the S4 reception can only compare to my BlackBerry that I had several years ago .............

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I have had my S4 for a couple weeks now and I am pleased to report that that radio on the AT&T version is very good. It compares to the Note2 and is better than the iPhone 5. I was with a coworker the other day, driving through a rural area. He has an iPhone 5. I carried on a conversation while he had no signal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

+1 on the att version. Strong signals in lte and wifi.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
*The GS4 isnt on the lists yet*

20 highest-radiation cell phones (United States) - CNET Reviews

20 lowest-radiation cell phones (United States) - CNET Reviews

You can click on different manufactures on the left. For GS3 models you have to click on the left. I will post a link here anyway for GS3 models: (scroll down for the GS3 models)

Cell phone radiation levels - CNET Reviews

The highest and lowest ranking and specific models are from Oct 2012....but I wanted to post this as a reference. All things being equal...the higher the SAR level....the better the reception in weaker areas. Notice which phones dominate the highest and lowest rankings..... This might be a case of it is what it is.

**Doing some searching I found some SAR levels for the GS4**

Samsung Galaxy S4 Radiation Level Revealed

jeffjr82

May 22, 2013
Visit site
I have the s3 and the signal strength is the worst I've ever had. I do most of my work in and around Dallas, GA. and most days I can't even use my phone until I get home. I never had this problem with my razr maxx, definitely going back to motorola since samsung worries more about other features instead of making it function as a phone first.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I will say that the signal strength for me has been very good. Unlike those who wouldn't admit that past Samsung devices had poor radio compared to the competition, the S4 is much improved. At work, in areas where the S3 struggle to keep a data signal and the iPhone had no issues, I consistently have a couple bars of LTE with the S4.

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
I think with some manufactures its more of a roll of the dice about reception vs the competition. Like it may take a person to go thru 5 phones to get one with decent reception vs just 1 or 2 with another OEM. Or like some are posting newer models are better than the older ones. I plan on getting a GS4 and HTC One when I get a chance for some real comparisons with my current phone. The good and bad thing for me is I live n work in a bad reception area....so I can see real quick if there are reception issues with any phone.

felloffthetruck

Trusted Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
Got the Verizon edition in today and the signal strength is just fine. We live out in the middle of the woods and have 1-2 bars of 3G on the iPhone 5 and Note 2. The new S4 has the same 1-2 bars of 3G out here and that's great.

jneusch

May 18, 2011
Visit site
I have the s3 and the signal strength is the worst I've ever had. I do most of my work in and around Dallas, GA. and most days I can't even use my phone until I get home. I never had this problem with my razr maxx, definitely going back to motorola since samsung worries more about other features instead of making it function as a phone first.

My S3 was bad as well. The S4 is much improved.

Posted via Android Central App