Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Global Posts
    548 Global Posts

Default Re: Plastic Covering Galaxy S4 Camera Lens?

I doubt it would make a difference but I don't

Quote Originally Posted by CreeperCode View Post
    Hey all.

I received my AT&T Galaxy S4 on Friday and love it so far. Only problem I had with it is I've noticed that on the camera lens there seems to be a piece of plastic on it with a circular cutout for the "eye" of the camera (sorry don't know anything about camera lingo lol).

If I touch the camera lens it makes a sound like there is indeed a plastic piece on top it. I've removed the back cover and tried running my fingernail across the lens to see if I could get the plastic piece to come off but it seems to be part of the lens itself.

This wouldn't normally bother me except that there are two small piece of hair and some dust that have gotten underneath this plastic. Is this plastic removeable or is this the actual design of the camera lens?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
    yea but my lens cover has a hole cut out for the actual lens...so that part isn't covered

How did you pull it off?
    Can you be more specific?

how did you pull it off?
    Can you be more specific?

Quote Originally Posted by CreeperCode View Post
    I got mine off by removing the back cover and being a little rough with it. Just hooked a fingernail and got it off. I'm attaching a picture so you can see what it looks like.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-Q...429_140112.jpg
    Thank you so much to OP for starting this thread!

OMG, i never thought to google this but it was driving me NUTZ!! Leave it to my fav website to have a thread about it. I CANNOT for the life of me get mine off, i even took an Xact-o knive to it to try to lift it in that one area that seems a teeny bit "lifted" by the middle. (u wanna talk scarey, try taking the sharpest blade u can find to ur brandy new phone's camera lens, thats REAL Fear Factor material...lol

The SAME noise convinced me there HAD to be plastic on it, becuz almost out of the box mine had a scratch on it. Look at it now, a gazillion scratches (most made by me trying to lift the plastic)

l

i think mine is the ONE phone that has the "permanent plastic" cuz that is NOT coming off, no way, no how : (

(We really shouldn't let this get out, i can hear ALL the haters now)... "Samsung sucks, there's plastic on the lens that's almost IMPOSSIBLE to get off...." lol

BTC
    "I'm Gonna Die Surrounded By The Biggest Idiots In The Galaxy!"
    (Best Movie Quote !! ...Guardians Of The Galaxy 2014)

tried that, NO GO...that's why i was convinced (before reading this thread) that maybe it wasn't protective plastic...... like i said, mine just WILL NOT remove... i know if i hook the right sharp object it will, but i can just see me damaging the lense trying, i eff things like that up ALL THE TIME! It doesn't seem to be bothering anything, maybe one day an edge will curl and "voila!"

BTC

Global Posts
    50 Global Posts

Definitely easier to remove by taking off the back cover.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

grrrrr 20,000 (and it MAY have been 25,000...) tries, i finally got it off ...yay!!!

BTC
    Thanked by:
    planoman and gummyjelly like this.

LOL I never even realized there was some plastic over it...I am gonna leave it on
    - Using the Sony Xperia Z3! -

Global Posts
    174 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hillucla View Post
    Are we really supposed to be removing it? Or is it meant to stay on? When I bought my S4 at the ATT store I noticed it and asked them about it. The guy tried peeling it off and couldn't - so we assumed it was meant to stay on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Infinite Jest View Post
    I doubt it is rated for high optical clarity. I'd take it off.
    I have no idea if it's supposed to come off, but it without question does not affect the camera in any way. It doesn't cover the lens at all. I just don't want to scratch the glass over the lens trying to get the plastic off.

I took off the back cover and managed to get a finger nail under it. I thought it was never coming off!

OMFG. After a few minutes trying to take it off I wish I never saw this thread.

At one point, I was like "**** it, who cares just leave it" but knowing it's there I had too. *sigh*

Took the cover off again, got pissed off. I took a deep breath, thought about it...I lick my finger and a few seconds later it slid off.

Thanks a lot! LOL

EDIT: I was so focus on it and didn't scroll down and saw the tape.
    Kevin Oates likes this.

ROM
    4.1.2 Stock

Quote Originally Posted by smooth4lyfe View Post
    LOL I never even realized there was some plastic over it...I am gonna leave it on
    Amen brother. Same here. If you look at the lens, none of the plastic is actually covering the part that captures the image, so mine is staying on. +1

Sent from my iPad Mini using Tapatalk
    skirka and horangeh like this.

Global Posts
    50 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by smooth4lyfe View Post
    Speaking from experience, I had left a similar plastic cover on a previous phone for a couple of weeks until it came off by itself. By that time, it had left a residue on the phone in the shape of the cover that was very difficult to remove. Now I make it a priority to remove all plastics on new phones.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

I used a small needle to take it off mine. That thing was really stuck on there. Didn't affect camera quality, but looked bad on the back of my phone

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Android Central Forums

I don't understand why people want to remove this sticker so

If you notice, there's a hole in the center of it so it isn't actually covering the area of the lens, so plastic shouldn't be in the way of a good picture
    Topgonzo likes this.

Yes there is a cutout for the lens.. but.... I noticed when takin photo's into the sun or bright glare
    it stopped some reflection that was bouncing onto the lens off the plastic
    and the dust or stuff frm my pocket under it was frustrating for me and it can also leave marks on the phone if it gets baked on..as well as the plastic round the sides.. the Sview cover actually let's the lens sit just under flush so wouldn't get scratched on a table for instance

Put sticky tape on it and peel it off.. mine was a no go by hand.. tape it came straight off

Any before and after piks so see if any clarity changed take affect.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

I know the first photo is a bit blurry from shake, but you can also see how it's a little more cloudy than the photo I took without the plastic. It may be affecting how the light reflects off the lens.
    Thanked by:
    coltsbr likes this.

Global Posts
    10 Global Posts

Smile Re: Plastic Covering Galaxy S4 Camera Lens?

Oh maan I never that it would make a difference and wanted to keep it on.
    But after seeing the pics taken before and after, I agree that it makes a difference.

Before:

After:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Plastic Covering Galaxy S4 Camera Lens?-20130509_134103.jpg   Plastic Covering Galaxy S4 Camera Lens?-20130509_134318.jpg  
    Thanked by:

I actually just contacted Samsung Customer Service and they said that this plastic piece is indeed meant to be removable and is placed there to protect but that by other means can be protected if the sticker is removed. It is not meant to aid the camera lens. Personally I have had my phone since Saturday and there was a piece of dog hair that got caught underneath and was blocking part of the lens. I would remove it and use a case if you are afraid of it getting scratched. The case will remove more of the risk. Hope that helps anyone with the same question I had.

Quote Originally Posted by Juan Clyncke View Post
    Great thanks for the info, but isn't it better to leave it on?
    Because the camera is slightly elevated on the back, when you put your phone on the table
    the lens is the critical point that would scratch in my opinion.
    Buy a decent case for it and the lens will be below the surface so it won't touch a table top. I did and it's perfect.

Pics do look better especially first pics

Posted via Android Central App

Took my wife 3 seconds to take it off, I was struggling for 10 minutes b4 that lol

Posted via Android Central App
    belogical likes this.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast