Results 1 to 23 of 23
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By stevenotsuki
  • 1 Post By stevengarcia82
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Galaxy S4 connected to wi-fi but no internet

    I recently purchased the new Galaxy S4 and am able to connect to the wi-fi at my office, but cannot get on the internet or get any of my widgets to update. I have read through other forums that there might be a problem with the ip and that I may need to set it to static, but I am not sure how to do that.

    Any suggestions?

    Thanks!
    paulakkelly likes this.
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Galaxy S4 connected to wi-fi but no internet

    Got an IT department? Is it only at work you can't connect to wifi?
    Never motivate an id10t because after that you will have a motivated id10t. See troll...
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

    Default Re: Galaxy S4 connected to wi-fi but no internet

    Yes, I am able to connect at home. When I try to load the chrome app, I get a message that says "Unable to resolve the server's DNS address."
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Galaxy S4 connected to wi-fi but no internet

    hi , i just have s4 too..
    and my connection to wifi is bad when there is almost full signal ( strong signal ) showed on top..
    it seems like something network is connected and disconnect too
    i am having problem to signing, chatting with friends and surfing net..
    wondering what's the problem..=(
    someone please help me !
  5. #5  
    seinx's Avatar

    Posts
    71 Posts
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts

    Default Re: Galaxy S4 connected to wi-fi but no internet

    Quote Originally Posted by sheng View Post
    hi , i just have s4 too..
    and my connection to wifi is bad when there is almost full signal ( strong signal ) showed on top..
    it seems like something network is connected and disconnect too
    i am having problem to signing, chatting with friends and surfing net..
    wondering what's the problem..=(
    someone please help me !
    This is what Samsung Advanced Support told me to do:

    In command prompt on the computer of your choice, type in ipconfig/all and make note of the #s for IPv4, Default Gateway, Subnet Mask, and DNS Servers.
    Press and hold the name your WiFi is under on your phone and click Forget.
    Re-establish the connection on your phone and before connecting, click the box for Advanced Options and enter those #s into the corresponding boxes.

    This seemed to fix it but instead of the connection dropping out every 2-3 minutes, it's more like 10-15, or whenever it wants to. On TOP of that, because my phone is now using the same IP address as my computer, my computer won't connect to WiFi unless the WiFi on my phone is turned off, and visa versa.

    I'm REALLY hoping that if people have the same connectivity issue, they'll report it to Samsung, otherwise the issue won't be fixed.
  6. #6  
    seinx's Avatar

    Posts
    71 Posts
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts

    Default Re: Galaxy S4 connected to wi-fi but no internet

    Quote Originally Posted by seinx View Post
    This is what Samsung Advanced Support told me to do:

    In command prompt on the computer of your choice, type in ipconfig/all and make note of the #s for IPv4, Default Gateway, Subnet Mask, and DNS Servers.
    Press and hold the name your WiFi is under on your phone and click Forget.
    Re-establish the connection on your phone and before connecting, click the box for Advanced Options and enter those #s into the corresponding boxes.

    This seemed to fix it but instead of the connection dropping out every 2-3 minutes, it's more like 10-15, or whenever it wants to. On TOP of that, because my phone is now using the same IP address as my computer, my computer won't connect to WiFi unless the WiFi on my phone is turned off, and visa versa.

    I'm REALLY hoping that if people have the same connectivity issue, they'll report it to Samsung, otherwise the issue won't be fixed.
    Scratch that.

    D-Link told me to change my router settings from TKIP & AES to TKIP only. WiFi signal going strong for 4 days now!
    Thanked by:
  7. #7  
    koche005's Avatar

    Posts
    3 Posts
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts

    Default Re: Galaxy S4 connected to wi-fi but no internet

    We have the same problem at our office. Yes, we have an IT staff (a good one). We have been unable to get any Samsung device to connect to the internet, although they all get on the wi-fi network. Other androids and iOS work just fine. I have been seeing this issue reported by many ever since my first Samsung android product... so it's well known.
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Galaxy S4 connected to wi-fi but no internet

    make sure the date is correct. many widgets won't work properly if the date is set to the default date several years ago.
  9. #9  

    Unhappy Re: Galaxy S4 connected to wi-fi but no internet

    Hi
    I have similar problem with my galaxy s4, I can connect to Wi-Fi no problem but cant connect to internet.
    but this is only intermittent some time it works some time it wont, this is the same when connected to Wi-Fi at home or at work.
    I know that it is not a Wi-Fi problem because there is no issues with any other device connect to the same Wi-Fi.
    it has to be a software issue ! not happy.
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Galaxy S4 connected to wi-fi but no internet

    Same problem, started happening after most recent update.
    Phone works with other wifis and other devices work with my wifi just not the s4
  11. #11  
    Haalcyon's Avatar

    Posts
    5,733 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,219 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

    Default Re: Galaxy S4 connected to wi-fi but no internet

    I may have misread some of the posts so forgive me. For those that can't seem to connect to the internet from their work:

    1. Is the result the same indoors and outdoors?
    2. Do you have a strong signal from your carrier?
    3. Just asking...is mobile data enabled?

    For those that can'lt connect via Wifi:

    1. Definitely head the prior suggestion to try TKIP ...as well as AES seperately.
    2. Try disabling mobile data so your device is trying to use WiFi exclusively.

    Sent from me LTE Note 8.0
    Live long and prosper.


  12. #12  

    Default Re: Galaxy S4 connected to wi-fi but no internet

    This is not necessarily the case here, but sometimes, when we connect to a public/Free Wi-Fi, we are required to go to a Guest Login or Accept page in our phone browser to validate our access. It is a small step that is occasionally forgotten and at times, a user might think he cannot correctly connect to the Internet.
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Galaxy S4 connected to wi-fi but no internet

    Hi all,

    After struggling with this for 2 days i finally sorted the connection issue. I got my solution from this forum with a little tweek which hopefully will help others.
    I first connected to my desired wifi network via dhcp (this is the default settings to anyone who doesnt know). I allowed the phone to connect then changed it to static IP by clicking on the saved wifi link and choosing advance settings. The fields should atuomatically fill with the IP, DNS and default gateway etc.

    I left these settings as they were accept for the DNS primary and secondary address. Here i changed both to 8.8.8.8 for primary and 8.8.4.4 for secondary.
    If you Google these addresses you'll find they are Googles own DNS servers and can be used in place of the default DNS entries. Hit save and lauch your browser, if you have any luck like i did you'll connect straight away.

    This work around leaves me to believe that the problem isnt with the router or firmare but the DNS servers in my company.

    Hope this helps. GOOD LUCK!
    Thanked by:
    Sacha Shabbir likes this.
  14. #14  
    metle_geek's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    829 Posts
    Global Posts
    831 Global Posts

    Default Re: Galaxy S4 connected to wi-fi but no internet

    Ok if your at a public place and using there wifi there's usually a browser splash page that you have to click i agree to your terms before it gives you a cess

    Sent from my HTC One X+ using AC Forums mobile app
  15. #15  
    metle_geek's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    829 Posts
    Global Posts
    831 Global Posts

    Default Re: Galaxy S4 connected to wi-fi but no internet

    Quote Originally Posted by sheng View Post
    hi , i just have s4 too..
    and my connection to wifi is bad when there is almost full signal ( strong signal ) showed on top..
    it seems like something network is connected and disconnect too
    i am having problem to signing, chatting with friends and surfing net..
    wondering what's the problem..=(
    someone please help me !
    Well it depends on your networks speed and your router for instance most public wifis are at 1 meg.... My isp (cox communications) is piping in 25 megs
    Take a speed test and post your results

    Sent from my HTC One X+ using AC Forums mobile app
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Galaxy S4 connected to wi-fi but no internet-1379578938442.jpg  
  16. #16  

    Default Re: Galaxy S4 connected to wi-fi but no internet

    I almost gave up...however, log into your router via ip 10.0.0.1 or whatever

    once in, look for parental control features and DISABLE managed devices!!!

    None of my other device automatically go on this list, but my S4 sure does...So simple!!!! DAMN!!!!
  17. #17  

    Default Re: Galaxy S4 connected to wi-fi but no internet

    I'm getting the same issue with my galaxy s4 active, anything else connected to the wifi is working perfectly fine even my ipad.
    It also seems to spit back "network not available" errors with AT&Ts wireless net even though I have 4g and am in a working area (tested on sisters iphone also from AT&T).
  18. #18  

    Default Re: Galaxy S4 connected to wi-fi but no internet

    how do i ask a question??
  19. #19  

    Default Re: Galaxy S4 connected to wi-fi but no internet

    My problem was a firewall app I downloaded from the Play Store that was blocking the whole Internet.
  20. #20  

    Default Re: Galaxy S4 connected to wi-fi but no internet

    Steven Garcia, I created this account just to say how thankful I am about your explaination. Helped me a lot. Thank you!
  21. #21  

    Default Re: Galaxy S4 connected to wi-fi but no internet

    I had this same problem with my home wifi network. I had connection to local network, push notifications were ok (fb messenger), but internet was down. I founded out that in wifi network setup I had proxy server set (WTF!), proxy server address was local loop address.

    I have simply refused a PROXY setup. so now it is okay.
  22. #22  

    Default Re: Galaxy S4 connected to wi-fi but no internet

    Quote Originally Posted by stevengarcia82 View Post
    Hi all,

    After struggling with this for 2 days i finally sorted the connection issue. I got my solution from this forum with a little tweek which hopefully will help others.
    I first connected to my desired wifi network via dhcp (this is the default settings to anyone who doesnt know). I allowed the phone to connect then changed it to static IP by clicking on the saved wifi link and choosing advance settings. The fields should atuomatically fill with the IP, DNS and default gateway etc.

    I left these settings as they were accept for the DNS primary and secondary address. Here i changed both to 8.8.8.8 for primary and 8.8.4.4 for secondary.
    If you Google these addresses you'll find they are Googles own DNS servers and can be used in place of the default DNS entries. Hit save and lauch your browser, if you have any luck like i did you'll connect straight away.

    This work around leaves me to believe that the problem isnt with the router or firmare but the DNS servers in my company.

    Hope this helps. GOOD LUCK!
    How do you change the DNS I cant find it anywhere?

    Posted via Android Central App
  23. #23  

    Default Re: Galaxy S4 connected to wi-fi but no internet

    I just wanted to THANK YOU stevengarcia82! Your solution worked, woohoo Thanks again. Sacha

Similar Threads

  1. phones won't connect to wi-fi
    By NicoleW in forum General Help and How To
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-07-2013, 11:34 PM
  2. Unable to connect to Wi-Fi network
    By PackerBadger in forum Virgin Mobile Optimus V
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-24-2011, 11:46 AM
  3. Replies: 16
    Last Post: 03-01-2011, 08:16 AM
  4. Moment not connecting to Wi-Fi
    By laughingperson5 in forum Samsung Moment
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-24-2010, 01:08 AM
  5. Won't connect to Wi-Fi
    By clucas#ac in forum HTC Droid Eris
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-25-2010, 10:32 AM

Posting Permissions

B