Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By thelaststraw05
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Finally played with the GS4 today! Thoughts and Questions...

Liked the black better than the white. Got about 20 minutes with one, and compared it to my EVO LTE side by side.

-It's a surprisingly sturdy device, and I liked how it felt in the hand. Very light and thin. I liked the pattern effect going on. Much shinier than expected too.
    -That damn water droplet noise!! Haha, will turn that off asap
    -The screen was great. No, I couldn't make out the pentile arrangement. One thing that stuck out at me was the brightness - it was way dimmer than my EVO LTE... Auto brightness seemed to not be nearly aggressive enough. Is there any chance a software update could fix this in the future? On manual it was better, but still dimmer. Probably just something I'd have to get used to. Also, the stock browser was always dimmer than everything else, even when its brightness was turned all the way up. Anyway to change that?
    -The device was pretty hot... I chalk it up to all the demo software running.
    -It was very smooth throughout, although prone to very occasional stutter
    -The camera was pretty damn great. Didn't get too much time to experiment.
    -I appreciated some of the ergonomic software quirks - quick settings (BRIGHTNESS and SOUND!!), battery display %, and all the customization everywhere
    -Liked the notification light and dug the power button placement

So overall, I'm impressed. I'm still deciding on this or the One, although I'm leaning One. Part of me wants to stick with my EVO LTE though... I'll mull it over for a couple weeks then make the purchase.

Default Re: Finally played with the GS4 today! Thoughts and Questions...

Quote Originally Posted by Love Divine View Post
    Also, the stock browser was always dimmer than everything else, even when its brightness was turned all the way up. Anyway to change that?
    I think you may be referring to Power Saving Mode ("Change the background color to save power in Internet"). It can be disabled.

Quote Originally Posted by Love Divine View Post
    So overall, I'm impressed. I'm still deciding on this or the One, although I'm leaning One. Part of me wants to stick with my EVO LTE though... I'll mull it over for a couple weeks then make the purchase.
    Probably a good idea. Google might reveal something obnoxiously great in a couple of weeks. Probably not, but wouldn't you be kicking yourself if they did?

I also got a chance to visit both phones today. I kinda wanted to fall in love with the one. It looks so pretty and I know that both phones are pretty similar as far as internals. However when playing with both of them I know that when my contract is up I'm going to go with the S4. It just felt a lot better in my hands and I really preferred the button placement.

I am really ready to retire my Photon 4G. Like really ready.
    brianphrack likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by thelaststraw05 View Post
    I kinda wanted to fall in love with the one... However when playing with both of them I know that when my contract is up I'm going to go with the S4.
    Exactly how I feel.