Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default S4 microphone issues?

I had a question for everybody! I initially had the S4, but my microphone was acting up...voice typing, voice searches and phone calls were all whack, so I ended up exchanging it for the One...but something feels off here. Has anybody else had microphone issues? How is the S4 at eliminating ambient noise when using voice dictation? I have until next wednesday to possibly re-exchange (not sure if they'd let me do that but ATT's return policy says you have 14 days...) to go back to the s4.

Thoughts? Thanks!

Global Posts
    774 Global Posts

Default Re: S4 microphone issues?

Why wouldn't you exchange it for another S4? I think its possible you had a bad unit

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Android Central Forums

Ive had no issues with anything on my s4 I think ur unit was faulty and u got swept up in the htc hype and now ur having regrets like the other guy said typically u would exchange it for the same device when ur phone is defective but u jumped ship so live with it

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Android Central Forums
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

It probably was faulty and all of that shiny metal chassis was around...that plus finals, thinking more about school than logic stuff.
    Well, time to get back on the ship, as they say.

The Mic on my s4 is also not working.It only works when I go on speaker phone.
    It's only been 4 weeks since I got the phone.Verizon are going to exchange it for a certified like new phone but my research shows that this is not a rare problem. There are definitely build issues with the phone.

I think I found the problem. There are two mics on the S4, the one on top of the phone is used for speaker and voice commands and the bottom of phone mic is used for phone calls. I had the issue where no one could hear me on phone calls, but speaker and voice commands worked. If you take your fingers and press the front and back of the phone together right over mic people could hear me. This tells me a solder connection on the board must of broke. I called my provider, and they are sending a new one overnight to me. Hope this isn't a common problem, as I really like the phone.
    Last edited by terry Thompson; 07-11-2013 at 02:19 PM.

Global Posts
    454 Global Posts
    ROM
    Vicious ROM

Quote Originally Posted by terry Thompson View Post
    I think I found the problem. There are two mics on the S4, the one on top of the phone is used for speaker and voice commands and the bottom of phone mic is used for phone calls. I had the issue where no one could here me on phone calls, but speaker and voice commands worked. If you take your fingers and press the front and back of the phone together right over mic people could hear me. This tells me a solder connect on the board must of broke. I called my provider, and they are sending a new one overnight to me. Hope this isn't a common problem, as I really like the phone.
    I just bought mine yesterday and I have the same problem. I had to talk on speaker phone on all my calls. Sucks because I just set the phone up how I like it.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk 2

Squeeze the front and back of phone right over mic and call someone and see if they can hear you.(Need to squeeze pretty hard) You may have a solder problem also.

Global Posts
    454 Global Posts
    ROM
    Vicious ROM

Quote Originally Posted by terry Thompson View Post
    Squeeze the front and back of phone right over mic and call someone and see if they can hear you.(Need to squeeze pretty hard) You may have a solder problem also.
    I found the problem...the noise canceling option was on and caused the microphone to go crazy. I turned it off today and it was perfect.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk 2

I found the problem...the noise canceling option was on and caused the microphone to go crazy. I turned it off today and it was perfect.

where i can find the noise canceling option menu. maybe thats my problem also