Still can't get the dang phone to wake up with an air gesture...

sw33ndawg

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
What the heck am I doing wrong here!? I have everything on in both settings and the notification bar. Air gestures work for basically everything else, however, when I move my hand over the phone while it is asleep it refuses to wake up like I've seen it do in so many review videos. Help meh!

Eric Kane

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
What the heck am I doing wrong here!? I have everything on in both settings and the notification bar. Air gestures work for basically everything else, however, when I move my hand over the phone while it is asleep it refuses to wake up like I've seen it do in so many review videos. Help meh!

Do you have it laying on a flat surface? I've found that to be the catalyst in getting it to work.

DioramaMaker

May 2, 2013
Visit site
It's finicky, at least I found it to be. I managed to get it working in the AT&T store when i messed with the phone...be elegant and relatively slow with your hand. Move across the sensor, palm vertical, fingers loosely tucked, and as you begin to pass over rotate your palm horizontal (I thought palm up worked better) and extend your fingers outwards and apart simultaneously. Give it A LOT to catch in the camera and recognize. The more it sees the better it will work. Also, I know it sounds dumb, but ensure you have your the gesture control settings enabled.

zhingket

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site

go to Settings>My Device>Motions & Gestures>turn on Air Gesture> Tap on the "Air Gesture"> Turn on Quick Glance

Hope it helps, took me 4 days to figure this one out.

sw33ndawg

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Oh. My. GOD. I didn't realize I could click it and pull up another set of options. You sir, are my hero. No longer will I spend hours waving at my phone that refused to wave back.

go to Settings>My Device>Motions & Gestures>turn on Air Gesture> Tap on the "Air Gesture"> Turn on Quick Glance

Hope it helps, took me 4 days to figure this one out.

AlphaVictor87

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
i found this setting by complete accident as i have with most things on this phone! Once i found out most settings with a switch for on and off had a long press option to get to more settings i was like.... woah.... settingception.....

But seriously its crazy how much customization there is on this phone and how easy it all is!!! The hand wave to get a quick update is awesome once you get it working for you.

Newtoandroid99

May 13, 2012
Visit site
I find it is very sensitive to lighting conditions and only works well indoors under florescent lighting.

Actually I just started using it after reading this thread and it works well for me in a dimly lit room. The key for me is moving from the bottom to the top of the phone and it works every time for quick glance.

DoyouFanBoyBro

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
There is an EXTRA setting, you need to turn it on... once you turn it on it's almost flawless.. just make sure you're on a flat surface.. or at least NOT moving the device.. i think what happens is there's a Gryo.. and once the device detects it's not really moving, or flat then the sensor turns on to wait for you to swipe over the phone.

AlphaVictor87

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
Not sure if anyone was interested in this still, but last night i just found out this feature works even in a completely dark room. I had my phone plugged in on my side table next to my bed last night and had turned the lights off so it was a pitch black room, saw the red status light and swiped my hand over the phone and it was able to wake up and show the "at a glance" thing with the time and blue glow. That makes it so useful!!!

I even woke up in the middle of the night wanted to see the time, so i waved my hand over it (still pitch black) and was able to see the time then went back to sleep! Such a great feature.

Eric Kane

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Not sure if anyone was interested in this still, but last night i just found out this feature works even in a completely dark room. I had my phone plugged in on my side table next to my bed last night and had turned the lights off so it was a pitch black room, saw the red status light and swiped my hand over the phone and it was able to wake up and show the "at a glance" thing with the time and blue glow. That makes it so useful!!!

I even woke up in the middle of the night wanted to see the time, so i waved my hand over it (still pitch black) and was able to see the time then went back to sleep! Such a great feature.

I find that part of Air Gesture useful, as well as being able to answer a call by waving over the sensor and it goes directly to speakerphone. That's actually really handy when I'm at the office.