Where the heck is spell check on the Galaxy S4?

mcdonsco

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
I know I can just install a different keyboard, I've tried a few and I don't like them (including, yes, swiftkey)...I want to use the default standard keyboard, but I can't for the life of me find how to enable spell check?

Does Samsung really just completely ignore spell checkers on their phones? This is my first Samsung, always had Motorola droids before and they ALWAYS had spell check enabled by default.

What gives here?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
The feature you want, in that way, is not present. And I don't think it's there with any 3rd party keyboard, either. You can enable auto-correct in your stock keyboard and also word predictions, but that's as far as it'll go. If you write something 'wrong' and select it from the prediction bar, it'll still write it that way even though the correct spelling is available.

Ameer Nuub

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I am new here as well, and I have the same issue. I have read here that the option we are looking for (autocorrect after space) does not exist by default on S4. I have read that you can download the default jellybean keyboard 4.2 and it has this, but it doesn't work for me. I see and have chosen all possible options to enable it, but still nothing happens after spacebar press; no autocorrection.

This is absolutely ridiculous. Every word processing program on the market has the ability to do this in exactly this way. I have heard guesses that it is the result of Apple lawsuits, but how would that make sense with the fact that, again, every word processing program on the market has the ability to do this? What, because it is being done on a phone? So what? So is video, audio, pictures, etc, and they can still be done by other phones and companies. Apple in no way invented the autocorrect after space.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I don't mean to get into patent-trolling debate here, but yeah... A TON of patents awarded to Apple are just common sense or common practice (yeah, to be fair, SOME patents they did innovate and many ported over, but the ones involved in the law suits are just ridiculous to be awarded to a single company). That being said, I've never seen the spell-check function IN THAT WAY on my phones. BlackBerry, MotoDroid, Galaxy S2, Note 2, S4... none. It's always auto-correct or word suggestion, but never red-lining a word that was misspelled.

Now, you say every word processing program on the market has this ability... True. Also all web browsers and it's even embedded into some webpages as well... But you know what? IT'S ON THE CLIENT SIDE, NOT THE KEYBOARD. The spell-check is handled by the word processing software, NOT the Keyboard and NOT the OS (or do you get the same Spell Check you have on Word when you use Notepad? No).

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Update: I just noticed that spell check IS there in the stock browser when typing on a text field hehe. See? It's the app's job to do it, not the keyboard. It might also be integrated into the OS but that would be up to every manufacturer.

Posted via Android Central App

Ameer Nuub

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Update: I just noticed that spell check IS there in the stock browser when typing on a text field hehe. See? It's the app's job to do it, not the keyboard. It might also be integrated into the OS but that would be up to every manufacturer.

I don't know who you are arguing with, or where your topic came from, but my point was that with rare exception, it is standard functionality, period.

I've never seen the spell-check function IN THAT WAY on my phones. BlackBerry, MotoDroid, Galaxy S2, Note 2, S4... none. It's always auto-correct or word suggestion, but never red-lining a word that was misspelled.

Well good... since autocorrect was the function I specifically said, with nothing to do with redline under misspelled words. I suggest you address the one responsible for that topic.

We are trying to figure out how to acquire and or enable autocorrect after space. It is not currently available on the S4 by default on a newly purchased phone.Whether autocorrect is "client side" and not the keyboard or whatever details has nothing to do with the point being made; the fact that it should be available and incorporated by default, being the 21st century and all. I mentioned downloading keyboards because that was the only solution I have seen others have referenced. Such incorporation of different autocorrect styles and functionality is even detailed in the description of the different keyboard apps in the store, so if you insist it has nothing to do with the "keyboard", I suggest you go have fun arguing that with the people who suggested these fixes, and the keyboard app developers themselves, as I and I suspect the OP aren't interested at all in the manouche of why whatever eventual solution to this problem works.

Last edited:

vrangel13

May 30, 2013
Visit site
It worked I downloaded the Kii Keyboard and now it works like it should. Right after space bar it will auto correct the word for you Thanks lateforwork2 !!!

mike31415

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
I had the same issue but finally found the solution.
Go to language an input menu an select Samsung
keyboard settings.
Then tap on Predictive text to be in up the menu.
No select Auto Replacement and you're done.
Unfortunately this on I nowhere near as good as the Nokia windows phone or ha before.

dhp106

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
I had the same issue but finally found the solution.
Go to language an input menu an select Samsung
keyboard settings.
Then tap on Predictive text to be in up the menu.
No select Auto Replacement and you're done.
Unfortunately this on I nowhere near as good as the Nokia windows phone or ha before.

Apparently this was removed in us versions. Are you in US?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2