Blackberry phone unlocks my S4!

Gustav Holst

May 3, 2013
Visit site
Hi.
I just got my S4. I've also got a BB from work and I tend to carry them both in my shirt pocket. I noticed that my S4 would unlock itself and come alive in my pocket as the screen was randomly touched by my pocket or the BB, depending on which way it was facing.

At first I thought there was something wrong with the S4 coming to life on it's own, until I realized that this only happened if it was in my pocket with the BB. So I got the bright idea of taking my locked S4 and rubbing it against the BB to see what would happen, and voila!, the S4 would unlock! It would go right past the lock screen into my home screen (or whatever screen was active when I locked it), ready for operation.

I've tried this many times since and it works every time. I tried it using another BB (same model, Bold 9650) and the same thing happens.

Weird stuff. I can't wait to bring this into my AT&T store and show them. I've uploaded a video to youtube to show this in action. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1oGCPlJGHU

I've be interested to hear from other people with different models of BB to see if the same thing happens.

GB333

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
I can't see the video and I'm not a technology person, but I would guess that whatever it is that makes the s-view case automatically unlock it when you open the case is the same thing that is in action here. :confused:

Gustav Holst

May 3, 2013
Visit site
Oops about the video. It's now public.

to thehatguy - not sure exactly what settings you want, but I've got wi-fi and bluetooth off. nfc and s-beam are off too. I've never gone into the the "nearby devices" section - everything there is off too.

robstunner

Android Connoisseur
Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
I bet the BlackBerry has a magnet or something that's making the s4 think its a smart cover and opening it up. Pure speculation. I know BlackBerry had magnets in their leather pouches that automatically opened the screen when being slid out.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk 2

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Hi.
I just got my S4. I've also got a BB from work and I tend to carry them both in my shirt pocket. I noticed that my S4 would unlock itself and come alive in my pocket as the screen was randomly touched by my pocket or the BB, depending on which way it was facing.

At first I thought there was something wrong with the S4 coming to life on it's own, until I realized that this only happened if it was in my pocket with the BB. So I got the bright idea of taking my locked S4 and rubbing it against the BB to see what would happen, and voila!, the S4 would unlock! It would go right past the lock screen into my home screen (or whatever screen was active when I locked it), ready for operation.

I've tried this many times since and it works every time. I tried it using another BB (same model, Bold 9650) and the same thing happens.

Weird stuff. I can't wait to bring this into my AT&T store and show them. I've uploaded a video to youtube to show this in action. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1oGCPlJGHU

I've be interested to hear from other people with different models of BB to see if the same thing happens.

Dang thats crazy...show that to Samsung!

Gustav Holst

May 3, 2013
Visit site
I bet the BlackBerry has a magnet or something that's making the s4 think its a smart cover and opening it up. Pure speculation. I know BlackBerry had magnets in their leather pouches that automatically opened the screen when being slid out.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk 2
Bingo!

I just produced the same effect with a refrigerator magnet.

Good call!