Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Default Re: Galaxy S4 won't charge

After 2 hard resets, my phone has been fine.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Android Central Forums

Had the galaxy S4 for over a week, and everything worked great till yesterday. Plugged the charger into the phone, and left it over the night. In the morning, found out that the phone wasn't charging (on battery stats I had a flat horisontal line in the time of charging. Tried to put the charger in again, phone doesn't recognize it. Got the battery out and back in, still no effect. Couldn't connect the phone to computer either.

After the battery run out of juice and phone turned off, tried the charger again. The phone obviously recognize the charger, since it gives a short vibrating alert, and shows the picture of the empty (gray) battery with the frozen loading ring, but the problem is that it won't initiate the charging procedure - battery image goes off after a second or two, and the whole vibration, battery picture sequence repeats every 5 seconds. I have noticed tho that it charges the phone somewhat, since it can be turned on (but only when I unplug the charger), and has some charge, but when I plug the charger with the phone turned on it still isn't recognized.

EXACTLY what happend here. Ill however admit that it happend after i dropped. From about 40 cm, it even landed softly on my foot. wtf is this

Quote Originally Posted by qcasiu View Post
    Had the galaxy S4 for over a week, and everything worked great till yesterday. Plugged the charger into the phone, and left it over the night. In the morning, found out that the phone wasn't charging (on battery stats I had a flat horisontal line in the time of charging. Tried to put the charger in again, phone doesn't recognize it. Got the battery out and back in, still no effect. Couldn't connect the phone to computer either.

After the battery run out of juice and phone turned off, tried the charger again. The phone obviously recognize the charger, since it gives a short vibrating alert, and shows the picture of the empty (gray) battery with the frozen loading ring, but the problem is that it won't initiate the charging procedure - battery image goes off after a second or two, and the whole vibration, battery picture sequence repeats every 5 seconds. I have noticed tho that it charges the phone somewhat, since it can be turned on (but only when I unplug the charger), and has some charge, but when I plug the charger with the phone turned on it still isn't recognized.

EXACTLY what happend here. Ill however admit that it happend after i dropped. From about 40 cm, it even landed softly on my foot. wtf is this
    I doubt the drop has anything to do with it. Try a hard reset, if that doesn't work return the phone to where you bought it.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Android Central Forums

So I kept the phone charged and never let it get low and had zero more charging issues. Yesterday I went for a ride on the bike and the phone battery ran out of juice. Now it's having the charging issues again. It seems to only do it when I let the battery get to 0 and then try to recharge. As long as the battery doesn't get too low it charges fine, but once it hits the 0 mark it no longer charges. Still trying other things because I have too much done to have to keep hard resetting the phone and then re-doing my customizations to fix this issue.

Exact same situation started with my 2 week old S4 yesterday. Phone was working great, still in perfect condition, and yesterday the phone went to 2% charge before I got a chance to plug it in. This is the first time I let the charge get that low. Now this seems to have triggered the problems outlined by everyone else here:

-Charger that came with the phone not recognized, even from multiple outlets and PC connection. Tried this charger with someone else's S4, charger works fine.
    -When I turn off the phone and plug it in the charger, the pulsing every 15 seconds w/ gray battery picture starts. Seems to *slowly* charge here, went from 1% to 35% over 10 hours of charging.
    -Even with it charged up to a 'non-warning' state (ie. 35%), it still doesn't recognize the charger.
    -Phone won't turn ON with the charger plugged in. Have to unplug the charger, then phone can be turned on.

So perhaps the low charge damages the battery/charging mechanism? Or a some sort of software kicks in at extremely low charge that messes everything up?

Either way, hate to have to take the phone back already, but the phone is virtually useless now. Hopefully they find a solution here.

Global Posts
    11 Global Posts

I have taken my device to the service and I've received notice that the service is complete. In the report it has stated that they have replaced the charging adapter and updated software(?) and that the device now works ok. I'll pick it up on monday and check if the issue still occurs.

One thing I've noticed is that with the Samsung 2 amp chargers is that the usb plug that goes into the wall adapter sometimes it doesn't go in all the way and it affects device charging. It happened with the charger that came with your phone and then another Samsung charger I bought.

Just as a precaution I guess just make sure that the usb is fully seated in your wall adapter.

Sent from my AT&T Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk II

Global Posts
    11 Global Posts

Today was a frustrating day. Picked my device up from the service, but was in a hurry and didn't have time to check if the issue is resolved (they said it was). Came to work, turned on the phone and plugged in the new charger - same thing. In the service checklist "charging" was marked "OK"
    Anyway, went back to service, and after a hour of explaining left and right, they finally resolved the issue.

So, the issue seems to be a conductive foil in the device which has moved somehow (or part of it moved) and was causing issues. They replaced the part in less than 15 minutes.

I will test the phone again extensively to see if the issue is really gone, but for the rest of folks with this exact problem now know what is the most probable issue!
    Thanked by:

Thumbs down Re: Galaxy S4 won't charge

I bought mine about 3 weeks ago and charge it every night as I get a lot of calls and emails daily. Saturday it said plug in my charger which seemed weird as it had charged for 10 hours during the night. Plugged in charger and no go...no charge. Tried 4 different chargers to include wall unit, usb to dual power, single charger and pc charger...nothing. Took to ATT home store this morning and they tried. Got the charge to start and it kept quitting. Said I had to take to repair facility. Called two local ones within 30 miles. One did not support Samsung and the other said they do not have any parts yet to include batteries! These phones should not be marketed and sold until their repair stations can support them. Told me to call the 800-801-1101 number to get replacement parts! The only reason I got the Samsung over the HTC One was the HTC has an 8 mp camera and does not have all the features of the Samsung...it is better for those wanting music and videos due to the dual speakers etc but not on par with the Samsung otherwise. Now it appears from this site we have another product made in China that is garbage...what a mess. Just tried to use the power charger and it started to charge and then quit..keeps doing that...does roughly 5 seconds and reboots itself to try charging again....over and over and only was able to get the green bar on the bottom 2 times out of 10....gave up. More crap from China...

Just tried something different. I have a Rayovac portable charging unit that was fully charged. Connected it and it is charging. The battery shows green about an 8th of an inch at the bottom...will see where this goes. In the meantime going to see if ATT is aware of this very serious flaw and bug. We need to force those living off the government to get a job, trained and bring these jobs back to the USA at a fair salary.

I'm having the same problem as everyone else. I already reset it twice but it wont work still. I only got the phone 4 days ago so this seems kind of ridiculous

If anyone else has any more suggestions on how to solve this problem, i would really appreciate it

Hi all, I picked up this problem after getting caught in the rain the other day. Later that evening I put my phone on charge and nothing happened, I believe this is caused by oxidisation in the phone connector plug. Check youtube on how to pull phone apart and clean the port with a dry toothbrush, it has fixed mine after the same issues stated above. Good luck!

Count me in for this problem. Phone worked fine yesterday and now won't charge at all. Won't recognize the charger, yet it seems to charge very slowly when plugged in and doing the vibration every 10 seconds. Tried the reset recommendations, etc. but nothing has seemed to work. Ugh.

Global Posts
    85 Global Posts

Guys. It seems I have the same problem with my Sprint GS4. I have only had the phone about two weeks. I am curious if we have any common apps especially battery related ones. I have Battery Guru and Battery Widget Reborn installed. Update: the phone charges when connected to my BlackBerry PlayBook charger but won't charge using the Samsung charger.

Ha anyone noticed their usb cables not plugged in all the way into the wall adapters? This happened with two AC adapters for me. One that came with the phone and one genuine Samsung one I got to use at work. In both cases the phone would show charging but wouldn't charge.

It felt like it was plugged in all the way when I first plugged it up out of the box. But obviously not.

Then I reseated the cable and it went in all the way. And then the phone charged properly.

I only mention this cause it happened to me twice with two different cables. When they are brand new they are tight and felt like it was fully seated when it wasn't. Once you pull the usb cable out and reinsert it goes in all the way and from there on its fine.

Worth a look.

Global Posts
    85 Global Posts

I think I found my problem thanks to a post about the USB cord being different from others. I proceeded to inspect mine and realized a pin is missing from the end that plugs into the phone. It appears the stock Samsung cord is inferior. I replaced it with one I had from a previous device plugged into the charger that came with the phone and it is working just fine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Galaxy S4 won't charge-usb-pic.jpg  

i connected to my laptop....and it shows that its charging yet over time the charge seemed to actually decrease....when i checked the battery consumption in settings some apps which i closed specially from the application manager still seemed to use up my battery....and the heating problem remains...

Quote Originally Posted by IslandGuy View Post
    I think I found my problem thanks to a post about the USB cord being different from others. I proceeded to inspect mine and realized a pin is missing from the end that plugs into the phone. It appears the stock Samsung cord is inferior. I replaced it with one I had from a previous device plugged into the charger that came with the phone and it is working just fine.
    My cord looks the same and charges just fine.

Galaxy S4 won't charge-uploadfromtaptalk1370704014035.jpg

One recommendation I have is this widget called Current Widget that monitors charging current. Extremely useful especially for those having charging issues.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....currentwidget

Using the white 2amp Samsung charger and cable that came with the phone and also the black spare one I bought to use at work it shows 1900mA when charging.

Using the same cable on a generic brand 1amp charger I get 1020mA

Galaxy S4 won't charge-uploadfromtaptalk1370704305833.jpg

Using a cheap 500mA charger it shows 520mA

Galaxy S4 won't charge-uploadfromtaptalk1370704443895.jpg

Discharging it shows 460mA which I assume is the draw on the battery. Interestingly enough with this widget it doesn't fluctuate. And charging over USB it shows charging and 460mA also. Which I guess means that over usb to computer the device just holds the charge.

Thanked by:

The problem I am having with my Galaxy is that when the battery is close to or completely dead, it will not charge. The only thing that works is connecting it to my car charger for a few seconds until I see the charging icon. Then, I am able to bring it in and charge normally. This is not a real problem if you are faithful about charging nightly, but once in a while... Any suggestions???

Plug it into the car charger for a few seconds until the charging icon shows, Bring it in and charge normally. Works for me when the battery is very low or dead and it will not charge.. Discovered this as I was taking the phone back to the store in the car. Not normal, but it works. I just have to remember to charge nightly.
    Thanked by:

Mine has to be plugged in and detected as a device to charge. It won't charge off a wall outlet, it won't charge off anything that doesn't automatically detect it. I've been through all the buzzing rigamaroll and everything everone on here has been talking about. Annoying to say the least. Any word from Samsung?

This is always, not only when the charge is low.

Samething just happened to me. I just took the battery out and put it back in. Hopefully I don't see that problem again.

Quote Originally Posted by Nannygoat5 View Post
    Plug it into the car charger for a few seconds until the charging icon shows, Bring it in and charge normally. Works for me when the battery is very low or dead and it will not charge.. Discovered this as I was taking the phone back to the store in the car. Not normal, but it works. I just have to remember to charge nightly.
    I was having this problem and this solution worked for me. I don't even have a car charger, I used my car's stereo usb connection. It started to charge for a second, then I took it out and brought it back in, then plugged it into my computer. Charging just fine now.

Edit: Looks like I spoke to soon. My phone was able to charge for a little bit after trying this then went back to the same broken state of not being able to charge. I am currently using the method that puts the phone into the battery icon / vibrate cycle but that is getting annoying real quick. I did notice that when the phone decides to no charge anymore it tells me that it connects to a dock whenever I connect it to my computer. Before it use to tell me the the device was connected as Mass Storage. Could this have something to do with the problem? I can't seem to remember where in the settings I was able to tell the phone to connect as a mass storage device so if anyone could tell me how to do that again I can check that setting.

So I think I've found a solution to my problem. My phone has stayed charging for the past 30 min now and I will keep monitoring and update you guys. But here's the fix I used.

After doing some research people were saying that the micro-usb port on the phone can easily become bent or slanted from its intended position. I looked at the micro-usb connector port on my phone and noticed that the connector part was a little to close to the bottom and should be more centered. I used the tip of a pen to bend the connector back to the middle of the port and then plugged my charger back in. Now it is working just fine. So everyone check your ports and see if the connector is close to the bottom. It should be centered.
    Thanked by 4:

ROM
    Stock

For those of you who had your phone shut itself down and are having initial problems recharging the battery (battery gets unusually warm (*), charging indicator is blinking or showing errors, can't get it to start up right away, etc), I don't own an S4 but this is pretty typical of any Lithium battery. What you want to do is leave it plugged in and do not attempt to turn the phone on for a while. After 15 minutes, depending on the phone, the error/trouble indicator (or lack of any indication that the phone is charging) should go away and the battery should start charging normally. After a further 10-15 minutes, it's safe to start the phone if you like.

When an Android phone is powered down, a small piece of bootstrap software takes care of the charging. This software is not all that sophisticated, but is very good at "recovering" a battery from extremely low charges, which are very bad in general for Lithium-based batteries. During this recovery process, often an error will show or the phone will look like it's not doing anything. When you try to power it up, that software exits and the bootloader starts. During the boot-up process, charging the battery is not possible, and unless you have a 2A charger hooked up with a proper charging cable, the startup process will be depleting battery. So if you have a very low-power situation in the battery, you can actually ruin the battery by trying to force it to start up prematurely.

Plug it in and resist the temptation to touch it for as long as you can manage.

(*) By "unusually warm", I mean "warmer than you are used to". If the battery becomes actually HOT to the touch as in "ouch, I feel like I might actually get a burn if I hold this or I cannot hold it for more than a half second", unplug it, remove the battery, and get thee to the store from whence it came. You do not want to experience a Lithium battery going into full meltdown. You just.. don't. It's rare, but it does happen.
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast