Galaxy S4 won't charge

jadamuah1573

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Unfortunately, factory wipe from the vol up+home+power boot didn't work for me.

How was the problem manifesting when you turned off the phone and connected the charger?

Similar to what yours did. After awhile of non stop vibrations, it would finally recognize that the charger was plugged in and start charging normally. Out of the handful of times this happened, it would take anywhere from 5 min to an hour of the vibrating before the phone started charging.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Android Central Forums

joora

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
Similar to what yours did. After awhile of non stop vibrations, it would finally recognize that the charger was plugged in and start charging normally. Out of the handful of times this happened, it would take anywhere from 5 min to an hour of the vibrating before the phone started charging.

I have noticed that it does charge the battery a bit even when it is in the vibration+battery image loop (probably short bursts of charge get in the battery), so I imagine that cannot be any good for battery life. In the meantime, I've managed to get it to recognize the charger and charge continously for 30min when it's turned on. Also noticed that the device turned itself on on one occasion, so it's going to service.

May 12, 2013
Visit site
When mine acted up, it was the first and only time that I let the battery get so low that it powered off by itself. Took some playing with it to get it to charge again after that but no issues since. I haven't let it get below 10% before charging and no issues since and charges very fast with the factory charger.

May 21, 2013
Visit site
It's 3:13AM. My phone woke me up because it kept cycling through the battery screen and vibrating every ten seconds. I then realized that it wasn't charging. I get onto this forum and apparently I'm not the only one experiencing this issue....I just bought the phone two days ago. Maybe I'll swap it for the HTC One...

qcasiu

May 23, 2013
Visit site
Had the galaxy S4 for over a week, and everything worked great till yesterday. Plugged the charger into the phone, and left it over the night. In the morning, found out that the phone wasn't charging (on battery stats I had a flat horisontal line in the time of charging. Tried to put the charger in again, phone doesn't recognize it. Got the battery out and back in, still no effect. Couldn't connect the phone to computer either.

After the battery run out of juice and phone turned off, tried the charger again. The phone obviously recognize the charger, since it gives a short vibrating alert, and shows the picture of the empty (gray) battery with the frozen loading ring, but the problem is that it won't initiate the charging procedure - battery image goes off after a second or two, and the whole vibration, battery picture sequence repeats every 5 seconds. I have noticed tho that it charges the phone somewhat, since it can be turned on (but only when I unplug the charger), and has some charge, but when I plug the charger with the phone turned on it still isn't recognized.

EXACTLY what happend here. Ill however admit that it happend after i dropped. From about 40 cm, it even landed softly on my foot. wtf is this

jadamuah1573

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Had the galaxy S4 for over a week, and everything worked great till yesterday. Plugged the charger into the phone, and left it over the night. In the morning, found out that the phone wasn't charging (on battery stats I had a flat horisontal line in the time of charging. Tried to put the charger in again, phone doesn't recognize it. Got the battery out and back in, still no effect. Couldn't connect the phone to computer either.

After the battery run out of juice and phone turned off, tried the charger again. The phone obviously recognize the charger, since it gives a short vibrating alert, and shows the picture of the empty (gray) battery with the frozen loading ring, but the problem is that it won't initiate the charging procedure - battery image goes off after a second or two, and the whole vibration, battery picture sequence repeats every 5 seconds. I have noticed tho that it charges the phone somewhat, since it can be turned on (but only when I unplug the charger), and has some charge, but when I plug the charger with the phone turned on it still isn't recognized.

EXACTLY what happend here. Ill however admit that it happend after i dropped. From about 40 cm, it even landed softly on my foot. wtf is this

I doubt the drop has anything to do with it. Try a hard reset, if that doesn't work return the phone to where you bought it.

May 12, 2013
Visit site
So I kept the phone charged and never let it get low and had zero more charging issues. Yesterday I went for a ride on the bike and the phone battery ran out of juice. Now it's having the charging issues again. It seems to only do it when I let the battery get to 0 and then try to recharge. As long as the battery doesn't get too low it charges fine, but once it hits the 0 mark it no longer charges. Still trying other things because I have too much done to have to keep hard resetting the phone and then re-doing my customizations to fix this issue.

Mark Griep

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Exact same situation started with my 2 week old S4 yesterday. Phone was working great, still in perfect condition, and yesterday the phone went to 2% charge before I got a chance to plug it in. This is the first time I let the charge get that low. Now this seems to have triggered the problems outlined by everyone else here:

-Charger that came with the phone not recognized, even from multiple outlets and PC connection. Tried this charger with someone else's S4, charger works fine.
-When I turn off the phone and plug it in the charger, the pulsing every 15 seconds w/ gray battery picture starts. Seems to *slowly* charge here, went from 1% to 35% over 10 hours of charging.
-Even with it charged up to a 'non-warning' state (ie. 35%), it still doesn't recognize the charger.
-Phone won't turn ON with the charger plugged in. Have to unplug the charger, then phone can be turned on.

So perhaps the low charge damages the battery/charging mechanism? Or a some sort of software kicks in at extremely low charge that messes everything up?

Either way, hate to have to take the phone back already, but the phone is virtually useless now. Hopefully they find a solution here.

joora

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
I have taken my device to the service and I've received notice that the service is complete. In the report it has stated that they have replaced the charging adapter and updated software(?) and that the device now works ok. I'll pick it up on monday and check if the issue still occurs.

vasekvi

May 5, 2013
Visit site
One thing I've noticed is that with the Samsung 2 amp chargers is that the usb plug that goes into the wall adapter sometimes it doesn't go in all the way and it affects device charging. It happened with the charger that came with your phone and then another Samsung charger I bought.

Just as a precaution I guess just make sure that the usb is fully seated in your wall adapter.

Sent from my AT&T Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk II

joora

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
Today was a frustrating day. Picked my device up from the service, but was in a hurry and didn't have time to check if the issue is resolved (they said it was). Came to work, turned on the phone and plugged in the new charger - same thing. In the service checklist "charging" was marked "OK" :)
Anyway, went back to service, and after a hour of explaining left and right, they finally resolved the issue.

So, the issue seems to be a conductive foil in the device which has moved somehow (or part of it moved) and was causing issues. They replaced the part in less than 15 minutes.

I will test the phone again extensively to see if the issue is really gone, but for the rest of folks with this exact problem now know what is the most probable issue!

bmaunders

May 27, 2013
Visit site
I bought mine about 3 weeks ago and charge it every night as I get a lot of calls and emails daily. Saturday it said plug in my charger which seemed weird as it had charged for 10 hours during the night. Plugged in charger and no go...no charge. Tried 4 different chargers to include wall unit, usb to dual power, single charger and pc charger...nothing. Took to ATT home store this morning and they tried. Got the charge to start and it kept quitting. Said I had to take to repair facility. Called two local ones within 30 miles. One did not support Samsung and the other said they do not have any parts yet to include batteries! These phones should not be marketed and sold until their repair stations can support them. Told me to call the 800-801-1101 number to get replacement parts! The only reason I got the Samsung over the HTC One was the HTC has an 8 mp camera and does not have all the features of the Samsung...it is better for those wanting music and videos due to the dual speakers etc but not on par with the Samsung otherwise. Now it appears from this site we have another product made in China that is garbage...what a mess. Just tried to use the power charger and it started to charge and then quit..keeps doing that...does roughly 5 seconds and reboots itself to try charging again....over and over and only was able to get the green bar on the bottom 2 times out of 10....gave up. More crap from China...

Just tried something different. I have a Rayovac portable charging unit that was fully charged. Connected it and it is charging. The battery shows green about an 8th of an inch at the bottom...will see where this goes. In the meantime going to see if ATT is aware of this very serious flaw and bug. We need to force those living off the government to get a job, trained and bring these jobs back to the USA at a fair salary.

Last edited:

bertoberto

May 27, 2013
Visit site
I'm having the same problem as everyone else. I already reset it twice but it wont work still. I only got the phone 4 days ago so this seems kind of ridiculous

Anthony Uhlmann

Jun 1, 2013
Visit site
Hi all, I picked up this problem after getting caught in the rain the other day. Later that evening I put my phone on charge and nothing happened, I believe this is caused by oxidisation in the phone connector plug. Check youtube on how to pull phone apart and clean the port with a dry toothbrush, it has fixed mine after the same issues stated above. Good luck!

cascadia12

Jun 4, 2013
Visit site
Count me in for this problem. Phone worked fine yesterday and now won't charge at all. Won't recognize the charger, yet it seems to charge very slowly when plugged in and doing the vibration every 10 seconds. Tried the reset recommendations, etc. but nothing has seemed to work. Ugh.

IslandGuy

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
Guys. It seems I have the same problem with my Sprint GS4. I have only had the phone about two weeks. I am curious if we have any common apps especially battery related ones. I have Battery Guru and Battery Widget Reborn installed. Update: the phone charges when connected to my BlackBerry PlayBook charger but won't charge using the Samsung charger.

Last edited:

vasekvi

May 5, 2013
Visit site
Ha anyone noticed their usb cables not plugged in all the way into the wall adapters? This happened with two AC adapters for me. One that came with the phone and one genuine Samsung one I got to use at work. In both cases the phone would show charging but wouldn't charge.

It felt like it was plugged in all the way when I first plugged it up out of the box. But obviously not.

nezeru3y.jpg

Then I reseated the cable and it went in all the way. And then the phone charged properly.

8yha8e2u.jpg

I only mention this cause it happened to me twice with two different cables. When they are brand new they are tight and felt like it was fully seated when it wasn't. Once you pull the usb cable out and reinsert it goes in all the way and from there on its fine.

Worth a look.

Sent from my AT&T Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk II