Galaxy S4 won't charge

trancp

May 3, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,

So I got the phone in store on Wednesday 5/1 with Sprint. First day things worked ok except for the fact it wouldn't connect to my home wifi (but I'm currently in the process of buying a new router/modem anyways and was reading that it could be a compatibility issue?). Last night I tried charging the phone and it seemed to be ok before I went to sleep. I wake up to see the phone is completely dead (it was like 5% before I went to sleep) and not charging. I thought it was my outlet so I tried a different one and still nothing. Took out the battery, plugged it in, and it showed it was charging. I left it for a few mins and came back, the phone stopped charging. Tried another outlet and took out the battery again, it showed it was charging for about 10 seconds and stopped. The phone then got really really hot, to the point where it made handling it not so easy. So now it's not charging and my phone is completely dead. Anybody else with this issue? I did make an appointment at the store to have it checked out today.

trancp

May 3, 2013
Visit site
I was actually using the one that came with it. Then I tried another one cause I thought maybe it was the charger too but still nothing.

rankar7

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,

So I got the phone in store on Wednesday 5/1 with Sprint. First day things worked ok except for the fact it wouldn't connect to my home wifi (but I'm currently in the process of buying a new router/modem anyways and was reading that it could be a compatibility issue?). Last night I tried charging the phone and it seemed to be ok before I went to sleep. I wake up to see the phone is completely dead (it was like 5% before I went to sleep) and not charging. I thought it was my outlet so I tried a different one and still nothing. Took out the battery, plugged it in, and it showed it was charging. I left it for a few mins and came back, the phone stopped charging. Tried another outlet and took out the battery again, it showed it was charging for about 10 seconds and stopped. The phone then got really really hot, to the point where it made handling it not so easy. So now it's not charging and my phone is completely dead. Anybody else with this issue? I did make an appointment at the store to have it checked out today.

Sounds like the battery may be defective. Do you notice a physical change in the battery (misshapen, bulged, etc.)? I would recommend to keep it unplugged as this may be a hazardous situation.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II

trancp

May 3, 2013
Visit site
Nope, the battery looked fine. It was only when I tried charging it that it didn't work and got super hot. I took out the battery for now just in case because I was kinda worried about the overheating part.

BustaCapinurass

May 5, 2013
Visit site
I have a similar issue with my new Galaxy S4.... I received delivery from Vodafone three days ago, my phone was part of the consignment they ordered to fulfill all their back-orders.. Rushed assembly perhaps?

Anyway, this morning my mobile warned me of a low charge. I plugged in the OEM charger, attached my phone and it started charging. I checked it just now and it's not charging. Cables attached correctly, verified the outlet is working... no power at all. The mobile battery is not charging at all. Yes, of course I have pulled out and fiddled with the cables etc, but nothing.

Methinks Samsung may have a problem on their hands.

afierro#AC

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
Hi all,

I had the same issue, I don't know why but sometimes the phone doesn't detect the charger as an actual AC charger (even if its connected to an outlet) but instead it recognizes it as a USB charging , try connect/disconnect the charger until the phone detects it as an AC charger. Worked for me! :)

dhtaylor

May 7, 2013
Visit site
I was warned that I should charge the battery by the phone, so I used the wall-plug it came with. No charge accumulated, so I tried plugging it into my laptop via USB... no charge. I'd planned on returning to the store today, but tried the wall plug at work, no charge. And, finally, tried my desktop USB at work and the darn thing charged up. I switched to the wall plug after getting 2 bars of battery and it worked fine (and a lot faster) to charge fully. What the hey?

Don't let the thing charge to the point of warning... as the charging circuitry looks very suspect.

rankar7

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
I was warned that I should charge the battery by the phone, so I used the wall-plug it came with. No charge accumulated, so I tried plugging it into my laptop via USB... no charge. I'd planned on returning to the store today, but tried the wall plug at work, no charge. And, finally, tried my desktop USB at work and the darn thing charged up. I switched to the wall plug after getting 2 bars of battery and it worked fine (and a lot faster) to charge fully. What the hey?

Don't let the thing charge to the point of warning... as the charging circuitry looks very suspect.

This is highly unusual. You should get the battery replaced first and if the problem continues, then the phone.

I know you can solve the problem by getting a dock/standalone charger, but what you described is not typical.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II

jadamuah1573

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site

Similar thing is happening to me. Seems that once the I get the low battery notification the battery will not charge. Just got an update so hopefully that will help.

jadamuah1573

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Update did nothing. Battery would not charge still after low battery notification. Going to try a factory reset.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

jadamuah1573

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Backed up everything and did a hard reset, its seems to have done the trick. I actually reset it twice. After the first time I plugged in the charger and the phone still did not recognize. After a second time phone recognized charger right away.

vasekvi

May 5, 2013
Visit site
Yeah this phone has a 2amp charger. Anything else will make it take longer to charge.

Sent from my AT&T Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk 2

joora

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
I have a similar problem, and it's very strange.

Had the galaxy S4 for over a week, and everything worked great till yesterday. Plugged the charger into the phone, and left it over the night. In the morning, found out that the phone wasn't charging (on battery stats I had a flat horisontal line in the time of charging. Tried to put the charger in again, phone doesn't recognize it. Got the battery out and back in, still no effect. Couldn't connect the phone to computer either.

After the battery run out of juice and phone turned off, tried the charger again. The phone obviously recognize the charger, since it gives a short vibrating alert, and shows the picture of the empty (gray) battery with the frozen loading ring, but the problem is that it won't initiate the charging procedure - battery image goes off after a second or two, and the whole vibration, battery picture sequence repeats every 5 seconds. I have noticed tho that it charges the phone somewhat, since it can be turned on (but only when I unplug the charger), and has some charge, but when I plug the charger with the phone turned on it still isn't recognized.

Needless to say I'm frustrated by this, so if anyone have any advice, it would be very apprechiated.

jadamuah1573

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
I did a hard reset and it seemed to be working fine the last couple of days. Oddly enough it is happening again now. I would back everything up and give the hard reset a try.

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Anyone know if the two outermost pins on the battery are for charging? If not, which 2 pins are for charging? I have a generic wall mount charger for batteries and want to try charging the battery by itself outside of the phone.

On a side note, I pulled the battery out and let the phone sit for 5 minutes. Put it back in and it still wouldn't charge. I'm running CM10.1 and went to Settings > Backup & Reset (while still plugged in) as if I was going to reset the phone and then it magically started charging without actually resetting it. Seems to be doing fine now but I will keep an eye on it.

joora

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
Maybe it has nothing to do with this problem, but right after the phone boots up, I get a notification that usb is connected (when nothing is connected to the micro usb plug) in the notification bar for a second. After that, I cannot find that notification anywhere.

joora

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
I did a hard reset and it seemed to be working fine the last couple of days. Oddly enough it is happening again now. I would back everything up and give the hard reset a try.

Unfortunately, factory wipe from the vol up+home+power boot didn't work for me.

How was the problem manifesting when you turned off the phone and connected the charger?

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
one01