Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 171
Like Tree47Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Raptor007's Avatar

    Posts
    3,186 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,851 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock .4.1.1

    Default Samsung responds to Galaxy S4 storage woes

    Not sure how many of us read other Android related sites, but I tend to read a lot of them and also lots of tech related sites. So today I was reading Android Authority and found this article
    where "Samsung responds to Galaxy S4 storage woes, says current setup is for the greater good" and from my viewpoint, they are smoking crack.

    Here is one snipit "According to Samsung, the “system” part of the Galaxy S4′s internal memory takes up approximately 6.85GB of total space. That’s how users get left with less than 9GB for their own personal use. Is it wrong? Samsung says it isn’t, and in fact, it’s the reason why users are able to enjoy the phone’s “high resolution display and more powerful features.”

    And

    Samsung also notes that users who really need more storage space than the Galaxy S4 readily offers can turn to external solutions, and it has made things somewhat easier for them by bundling a free microSD card with every unit “for extension of memory.”

    Take a read and share your thoughts on this.
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Samsung responds to Galaxy S4 storage woes

    They say its only 1GB more than the S3, but if I recall, my S3 has 12GB free...not 9 or 10...thats some bull to me but whatever, I keep most of my stuff on the SD Card anyways
    - Using the Galaxy S5! -
    torch29 and Newtoandroid99 like this.
  3. #3  

    Default Re: Samsung responds to Galaxy S4 storage woes

    Why won't they acknowledge the fact that we can't put apps on the sdcard
    albokay, TomsAndroid and jrb363 like this.
  4. #4  
    Phil Nickinson's Avatar
    Android Central Editor in Chief

    Posts
    3,807 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,972 Global Posts

    Default Re: Samsung responds to Galaxy S4 storage woes

    What's there to respond to? It is the way it is. I don't like it either. But what did folks expect them to say?
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Samsung responds to Galaxy S4 storage woes

    How about advertising it as a 6.85GB Samsung GS4 instead of a 16GB. It would be too hard to tell the truth though.
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Samsung responds to Galaxy S4 storage woes

    Quote Originally Posted by byeblackberry View Post
    How about advertising it as a 6.85GB Samsung GS4 instead of a 16GB. It would be too hard to tell the truth though.
    LOL. I am in agreement with everyone else and don't like it but the available storage is always lower than what the companies list. From computers, to SD cards, to smartphones. Just like my computer, advertised with a 500GB HDD actually had around 460 out of the box. I think the biggest issue is here is the amount of space that is actually taken up, not that they don't specifically list actual user amount especially when that could vary depending on the carrier. I feel you, but that's definitely not realistic. Maybe say 16GB (9-10GB available)?
    Mobile Devices: Nexus 5 32GB Black
    Carrier: AT&T
    Computer: MacBook Pro (2012) 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD
    Other devices: iPad Mini


    The Basics: Unlocking and Rooting - http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc...hing-roms.html
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Samsung responds to Galaxy S4 storage woes

    It is no different than renting a storage unit that's 100 sqft then walking into it after signing a two year contract and finding 50 sqft are taken up by the electrical transformer and ac unit required to operate the unit. When you get burgers they always tell you on the ad and product package that the advertised size is precooked and you're not getting that. The cell industry should have to clearly tell the consumer what space they have for their use. If we're on this site then we know but the average person won't. If they use the size as a selling point then they should be upfront.

    Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Android Central Forums
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Samsung responds to Galaxy S4 storage woes

    It's not really a major problem IF one could actually get hold of a 32Gb or 64Gb model. Here in Europe there is a deafening silence on the larger memory variants.

    Many people will be getting this phone on contract and in the contract period will almost certainly end up running out of memory as they install large apps and hi-def games - things the power and screen resolution cry out for. I realise there would be a price penalty for 32Gb/64Gb versions but users should at least have the choice. I can't even find any SIM free versions of the larger memory variants available from independent dealers. Real shame for Samsung - I will probably end up with the HTC One or the forthcoming Nexus.
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Samsung responds to Galaxy S4 storage woes

    Yes you can. Under the storage tab in settings. All of my apps, music, and photos are on my sd card


    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Android Central Forums
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Samsung responds to Galaxy S4 storage woes

    Alex, are you messing around or have an older OS on your phone?

    You can NOT move or install apps to the SD card with JellyBean or ICS after the second update of that OS.

    sdcard0 is INTERNAL storage and NOT the sd card.
    Golfdriver97 likes this.
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Samsung responds to Galaxy S4 storage woes

    Judging by the comments in this thread I'll more than likely get blasted for saying this, but are you really complaining about losing 2-3 GB? That will make or break the experience for you? I'd say for those that are unhappy about this, 16 GB with 12 GB free wouldn't have been enough either way. I guess the only thing I'd be concerned about is why they haven't released the higher capacity devices with 32 GB or 64 GB in the US yet (or period).

    By the way, this is coming from someone who will never, ever get close to using even 5 GB for applications, let alone 9 GB.
  12. #12  

    Default Re: Samsung responds to Galaxy S4 storage woes

    Quote Originally Posted by Raptor007 View Post
    Samsung also notes that users who really need more storage space than the Galaxy S4 readily offers can turn to external solutions, and it has made things somewhat easier for them by bundling a free microSD card with every unit “for extension of memory.”
    What size SD card does samsung bundle in? Pre-ordered mine through VZW and they never mentioned an sd coming with the phone.
  13. #13  
    videian's Avatar

    Posts
    57 Posts
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts

    Default Re: Samsung responds to Galaxy S4 storage woes

    My ATT version came with no card, have a 32gb card on the way. Moving from iPhone to Android for the second time, the last version of Android I used you could move some apps to the extra sd card, is that no longer the case? Maybe I should wait for the 32gb version...

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2
  14. #14  

    Default Re: Samsung responds to Galaxy S4 storage woes

    Quote Originally Posted by ericsckane View Post
    Judging by the comments in this thread I'll more than likely get blasted for saying this, but are you really complaining about losing 2-3 GB? That will make or break the experience for you? I'd say for those that are unhappy about this, 16 GB with 12 GB free wouldn't have been enough either way. I guess the only thing I'd be concerned about is why they haven't released the higher capacity devices with 32 GB or 64 GB in the US yet (or period).

    By the way, this is coming from someone who will never, ever get close to using even 5 GB for applications, let alone 9 GB.
    I agree with you. My temp phone is a nexus 4 until I get my S4, and with 90 apps on it (along with a bunch of pictures) I still have only used 2 gigs. It shouldn't be an issue for anyone.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    Logansmom32 likes this.
  15. #15  

    Default Re: Samsung responds to Galaxy S4 storage woes

    Quote Originally Posted by ericinaz View Post
    It is no different than renting a storage unit that's 100 sqft then walking into it after signing a two year contract and finding 50 sqft are taken up by the electrical transformer and ac unit required to operate the unit. When you get burgers they always tell you on the ad and product package that the advertised size is precooked and you're not getting that. The cell industry should have to clearly tell the consumer what space they have for their use. If we're on this site then we know but the average person won't. If they use the size as a selling point then they should be upfront.

    Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Android Central Forums
    They are up front. Hence the reason why the box clearly says that the space available to the user will be less.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
  16. #16  

    Default Re: Samsung responds to Galaxy S4 storage woes

    Quote Originally Posted by byeblackberry View Post
    How about advertising it as a 6.85GB Samsung GS4 instead of a 16GB. It would be too hard to tell the truth though.
    They ARE telling the truth. The phone has 16gb of memory on board.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
  17. #17  
    videian's Avatar

    Posts
    57 Posts
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts

    Default Re: Samsung responds to Galaxy S4 storage woes

    Quote Originally Posted by JHBThree View Post
    They ARE telling the truth. The phone has 16gb of memory on board.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    Oh come on, when you advertise 16gb of space, 98% of the World expects to be somewhere close to that. We're not even remotely close.

    You can talk semantics all you want, doesn't make it right.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2
  18. #18  

    Default Re: Samsung responds to Galaxy S4 storage woes

    Quote Originally Posted by JHBThree View Post
    They ARE telling the truth. The phone has 16gb of memory on board.

    Thats not telling the truth to me. Thats not even half truth. 16gb but you can only use 6.85gb. If you could save apps on the SD card it wouldn't be a big deal.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
  19. #19  

    Default Re: Samsung responds to Galaxy S4 storage woes

    I didn't get a free SD card.

    WTF?

    John
  20. #20  

    Default Re: Samsung responds to Galaxy S4 storage woes

    Quote Originally Posted by videian View Post
    Oh come on, when you advertise 16gb of space, 98% of the World expects to be somewhere close to that. We're not even remotely close.

    You can talk semantics all you want, doesn't make it right.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2
    I can't remember an Android phone that offered 16 GB total and I had 16 GB free. It's always 11-12 GB for the most part. You know, because Android itself isn't devoid of using storage. Samsung has a lot of things packed into this phone, so it's 2-3 GB less. Not a big deal, but because Samsung is the new Apple, it'll be blown out of proportion.
  21. #21  

    Default Re: Samsung responds to Galaxy S4 storage woes

    Quote Originally Posted by JHBThree View Post
    They are up front. Hence the reason why the box clearly says that the space available to the user will be less.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    If you could access 80% or even 70% of the advertised memory that's one thing. But you end up with 44% less space than they lead you to believed you have. With the increase in size of OS images and preinstalled apps they need to stop making it sound as if you have 16 gigs of usable space is all I'm saying. I'm not talking about some random feature of the phone we're talking about how they sell the device to consumers.

    How would you feel if their marketing said it has a 1.9 MHz quad core but you find you only have the ability to reach 56% of that rated speed. Would it be okay if the said in super fine print on the box "processor speed will be less"?



    Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Android Central Forums
  22. #22  

    Default Re: Samsung responds to Galaxy S4 storage woes

    Quote Originally Posted by ericsckane View Post
    I can't remember an Android phone that offered 16 GB total and I had 16 GB free. It's always 11-12 GB for the most part. You know, because Android itself isn't devoid of using storage. Samsung has a lot of things packed into this phone, so it's 2-3 GB less. Not a big deal, but because Samsung is the new Apple, it'll be blown out of proportion.
    2-3 GB less???????? Try 6.85 GB less.
  23. #23  

    Default Re: Samsung responds to Galaxy S4 storage woes

    I have posted this several times, but nobody has responded.

    This site, claims to have the 32gb and 64gb unlocked. $825 for the 32, and $925 for the 64



    They have the check marked in stock.

    I am waiting for T mobile. They have the 16gb for outright price of $639. I figure the 32 out right price will be $740.., or since I am hot in the pants, I might just swing for the $825..
  24. #24  

    Default Re: Samsung responds to Galaxy S4 storage woes

    Quote Originally Posted by byeblackberry View Post
    2-3 GB less???????? Try 6.85 GB less.
    What phone do you use out of curiosity?

    Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4
  25. #25  

    Default Re: Samsung responds to Galaxy S4 storage woes

    Its only a big deal because apps are getting bigger and our devices have to last multiple years. If apps could be installed on the external sd card by default still, then this wouldn't be a big deal at all.

    Alternatively, if all apps gave the option to choose where you want them to store extra content, such as what Pocket Casts does, this also wouldn't be a big deal. But anyone wanting to do things like pin google music for offline play or even pin movies for a car or plane trip are going to find this lack of storage/downlaod option a problem. And the S4 is not the only device affected.
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 03-15-2013, 07:20 AM
  2. Thinking about switching from iPhone to Galaxy S4
    By joeg679 in forum Android 4.1 / 4.2 / 4.3 Jelly Bean
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 02-28-2013, 08:55 AM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-03-2013, 05:33 AM
  4. Samsung responds to question about the 11/14 update
    By Jerry Hildenbrand in forum Samsung Galaxy Tab 10-inch
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-17-2011, 08:05 PM
  5. Samsung responds to pay for update accusations
    By ayhowarya in forum Verizon Fascinate
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-19-2011, 12:28 AM

Posting Permissions

B