No auto correct for the keyboard?

ah06

May 2, 2013
Visit site
The S4 (like the Note 2) doesn't seem to have in-place auto correct for the keyboard. I couldn't figure out any way to enable it.
To be clear, there *IS* predictive text and if you make a mistake, often the right word will appear in the prediction bar but you have to manually click it to replace the typo.

There is no auto correct on-the-fly like stock Android that allows you to blaze through messages, emails, IMs etc whilst correcting everything on the fly.

1. Is there a way to enable this? (short of downloading an alternative keyboard)
2. Is there a non-hacky way to get to the Jelly Bean stock keyboard with it auto-correct?
3. Why would they remove such a great feature when it is already part of stock Android?
4. Don't you guys feel hampered by lack of on-the-fly auto correct?
5. Is the TouchWiz keyboard made by or in partnership with Swiftkey?
6. The auto suggest/predictive feature usually correctly highlights the right word (the other words are not in bold), is there some button that can be pressed to insert this bolded word?

Note: The HTC One emits this feature as well

Last edited:

DioramaMaker

May 2, 2013
Visit site
Don't quote me, but I wanna say I read there was some form Samsung dispute over it with Apple, one of the factors of their laughable arguments. I may very well be wrong, it doesn't account for why HTC doesn't have it though.

ah06

May 2, 2013
Visit site
I read that too but it doesn't seem like a factor because the other OEMs and Android itself have it enabled and if this was specifically aimed by Apple at Samsung, they could easily get around it by using Swiftkey in its original form. After all, I'm fairly certain that Swiftkey already helps Samsung design and implement its TouchWiz keyboard in some way. Also I doubt that ruling would have consequences outside of USA and TouchWiz KB seems to be missing auto correct worldwide and not just in US or Western Europe

nata_panya

Apr 28, 2013
Visit site
Hello

Do you mean auto correct/auto replace by tapping the space bar (similar to iOS)? If so, it is available (I'm using this function) but it is turned off by default.

Turn it on by doing the following:
1. Settings>My device>language and input
2. Click the gear icon next to "Samsung keyboard"
3. Scroll down to and long tap the words "Predictive Text". This will take you into the options.
4. Check "Auto replacement".

That should do the trick. Hope that helps.

One thing I haven't worked out is how (if poss) to reject a suggested correction. With iOS there's a small cross next to the suggested word which you can tap to reject it.

Can't seem to do that with the s4 auto replacement space bar and predictive words bar at the top. Tapping the space bar immediately and automatically changes it to the blue predictive word, with no option to reject the blue predictive word.

TrueRain

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Hello

Do you mean auto correct/auto replace by tapping the space bar (similar to iOS)? If so, it is available (I'm using this function) but it is turned off by default.

3. Scroll down to and long tap the words "Predictive Text". This will take you into the options.

One thing I haven't worked out is how (if poss) to reject a suggested correction. With iOS there's a small cross next to the suggested word which you can tap to reject it.

Can't seem to do that with the s4 auto replacement space bar and predictive words bar at the top. Tapping the space bar immediately and automatically changes it to the blue predictive word, with no option to reject the blue predictive word.

Wait a second, there's actually auto correction on the S4 keyboard? I guess they renamed it "auto replacement" instead because of Apple. I've been thinking that it didn't have it this whole time. I don't think I've seen this mentioned anywhere else. Heh.

conanheath

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Hello

I'm not seeing that option anywhere. When I pull up predictive text option it gives me personalized data checkbox with option to pull from fb, twitter, etc. But not finding auto replacement anywhere. I have att version and I've already downloaded android keyboard but I like Samsung keyboard for the number row. What am I missing?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Android Central Forums

maverick96

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm not seeing that option anywhere. When I pull up predictive text option it gives me personalized data checkbox with option to pull from fb, twitter, etc. But not finding auto replacement anywhere. I have att version and I've already downloaded android keyboard but I like Samsung keyboard for the number row. What am I missing?

I'm looking also and I don't see it? I have AT&T version also. Is this only available on international version?

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk HD

maverick96

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Hello

Do you have international version?

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk HD

nata_panya

Apr 28, 2013
Visit site
That's weird that it would be turned off by default... Why would Samsung do that?

I think it's because not everybody uses predictive text and less want it to auto correct by tapping the space bar.

Similar to some people not using the double-tap-space-bar to add period automatically.

For what it's worth, I think it's also default off on iOS.

conanheath

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I just checked my Note 8.0 and 10.1 and auto correction option isn't on them either. What gives? I like Samsung keyboard layout better but without auto correct, its useless.

vasekvi

May 5, 2013
Visit site
Yes I sure would like to have auto correct. I switched from using only Palm devices starting from the Handspring Visor all the way to my Pre3. I love this phone but the keyboard sure makes me stumble all the time.

Sent from my Samsung GS4 using Tapatalk

Daniel Mclean

May 5, 2013
Visit site
The S4 (like the Note 2) doesn't seem to have in-place auto correct for the keyboard. I couldn't figure out any way to enable it.
To be clear, there *IS* predictive text and if you make a mistake, often the right word will appear in the prediction bar but you have to manually click it to replace the typo.

There is no auto correct on-the-fly like stock Android that allows you to blaze through messages, emails, IMs etc whilst correcting everything on the fly.

1. Is there a way to enable this? (short of downloading an alternative keyboard)
2. Is there a non-hacky way to get to the Jelly Bean stock keyboard with it auto-correct?
3. Why would they remove such a great feature when it is already part of stock Android?
4. Don't you guys feel hampered by lack of on-the-fly auto correct?
5. Is the TouchWiz keyboard made by or in partnership with Swiftkey?
6. The auto suggest/predictive feature usually correctly highlights the right word (the other words are not in bold), is there some button that can be pressed to insert this bolded word?

Note: The HTC One emits this feature as well

I can not stand the touchwiz keyboard for my s4 i am currently using the 1 month free trial for swiftkey, i find i type much faster and the swype is so much better :)

edit: you will need to go into swift key setup and download your language pack before auto correct works

nata_panya

Apr 28, 2013
Visit site
Hello

Auto correct (tapoint space bar) is available on s4 ~ instructions in my earlier post above.

It seems that it's not yet available on Note 2, which uses an earlier version of touch wiz. Note 2 I expected to get update to touch wiz 2 (similar to s4) later this month or in June.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Hello

Wow did not know this was here! Probably won't be as good as SwiftKey though

Sent from my Galaxy S4 Exynos!

conanheath

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Hello

Auto correct (tapoint space bar) is available on s4 ~ instructions in my earlier post above.

It seems that it's not yet available on Note 2, which uses an earlier version of touch wiz. Note 2 I expected to get update to touch wiz 2 (similar to s4) later this month or in June.

Auto correction is not there on my Att S4. Do you have an international version?

Sent from any one of my Samsung devices

nata_panya

Apr 28, 2013
Visit site
Yes I have an international version. but I'd be surprised if the autocorrect function was removed by carriers.

Could you not get into the Predictive text options by long pressing the words "predictive text"?

The Samsung keyboard is I believe a version of SwiftKey (I think samsung has a license for both SwiftKey and swype)

Eric Kane

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Yes I have an international version. but I'd be surprised if the autocorrect function was removed by carriers.

Could you not get into the Predictive text options by long pressing the words "predictive text"?

The Samsung keyboard is I believe a version of SwiftKey (I think samsung has a license for both SwiftKey and swype)

It really is gone from the US version. Curious as to why. I'd recommend using the stock Jelly Bean keyboard, anyways.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=38124560

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4

jneusch

May 18, 2011
Visit site

Its not there on the ATT version. I gave in and installed SwiftKey.

conanheath

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

I don't understand why it would be removed either but it isn't there. Another att poster found same thing as me. I can get into predictive text options but all that is there is personalized data for pulling info from fb, twitter etc. Also a link to privacy policy which I checked out to see if I had to agree to something to enable more options. Nothing there. Just their privacy policy. I don't know. Maybe someone forgot to get it into att software or we still have the old version like you mentioned on note 2. My Note 8 and 10.1 have the same options as my S4.

Sent from any one of my Samsung devices

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drkrleitch