About to switch from iPhone 4S to Samsung Galaxy S4... need some questions answered please??

Dx3me

May 5, 2013
Visit site
Guys,

I'm considering switching from my current iPhone 4S (that I have for like 1 year now) to a Samsung Galaxy S4...
The main reasons why I'm considering this switch;

1) Google Maps... most of us know that Apple had huge issues when they introduced their iOS6

2) iOS' lack of flash support... websites that are build around flash, can't be accessed

-----------------------
Can you guys confirm that Android has full support for Flash?
And considering Google Maps is created by Google, I'm not worried too much about Google Maps support...

Last thing, I heard a few complaints here and there, that the new S4 is somewhat laggy when going through certain menu's?
Is this true, and am I better off with an S3 instead?

* The one thing that turns me off quite a bit, is the size of the Galaxy S3/4... are there any other previous iPhone owners on here who made the switch?
Is the size a big thing to overcome?

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
Full support no, but you can use a browser that supports it like Firefox.

Size will be a bit of a hurdle but most likely you'll enjoy how much better (IMO) having a bigger screen is. Plus it helps when you can customize your phone so much thanks to the OS.

As for the S4, that depends on how you perceive the "lag", some people here think it's negligible and no more than stutter instead of it being actually laggy. Some have even been able to get rid of it.

Posted via Android Central App

deedoss

May 5, 2013
Visit site
For one, android by default does not have full flash support. However, there are ways to install Flash plugins. You can do it from the play store but there are other ways as well. Just Google them, most are an easy (as well as legal), three minute tutorial.

I have had no trouble with maps on my Android. If for whatever reason you decide not to purchase the S4 (or whatever android device of your choice), there is a Google Maps app on the iOS store for free.

The screen size will take some getting used to. Honestly though, when I switched (iPhone 3GS to HTC Evo 3D), I was happy with the screen size. If you are holding your S4 at the bottom with your right hand, it can be a pain to reach your thumb across to the top left of the screen. So like I said, it can take some getting used to, but when you do, i think you'll be hapoy with it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I577 using Android Central Forums

stringbeanie

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
I've had every iteration of iPhone since 3G including the iPhone 5 but I made the switch and couldn't be happier. I switched for entirely different reasons. Google maps is actually a dream on ios so definitely not a reason to switch. I don't and haven't needed flash either but I know it is doable on the S4 if needed. The real excitement on the S4 for me is the gorgeous screen, the Swype keyboard and mostly I have come to love the tinkerability of Android. I was so bored with the OS of Apple that I found myself buying case after case, trying to make the phone different and interesting. If you are the kind of person who never changes your wallpaper and likes a simple phone that works the way you want right out of the box, and happy with the small screen, you may not be as excited with the s4.

nata_panya

Apr 28, 2013
Visit site
Hello,

I had an iPhone 4S and replaced it with Galaxy S4. I still have a iPhone 5, which I u occasionally for another work line. S4 is much better than both.

I was worried about the switch, mainly because I had been an iOS user for many years. By its not a difficult switch.

Phone size is nothing to be worried about - the extra screen estate is a BIG plus imo.

As for the lag, it's not lag as such, just touch wiz 2.0 still needs to be optimised a little with an update.

In fact, I did a couple of simole settings tweaks (no rooting of device) today and there's no lag at all.

I can you give the instructions on the tweaks or you c Google it.

I'm very happy with the move from iOS/iPhone 4S/iPhone 5.

Hope that helps.

Eric Kane

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Guys,

I'm considering switching from my current iPhone 4S (that I have for like 1 year now) to a Samsung Galaxy S4...

1) Google Maps... most of us know that Apple had huge issues when they introduced their iOS6

2) iOS' lack of flash support... websites that are build around flash, can't be accessed

-----------------------
And considering Google Maps is created by Google, I'm not worried too much about Google Maps support...

Last thing, I heard a few complaints here and there, that the new S4 is somewhat laggy when going through certain menu's?

* The one thing that turns me off quite a bit, is the size of the Galaxy S3/4... are there any other previous iPhone owners on here who made the switch?

No matter how badly some people want to stick the "lag" label on the S4, it's just not true. On occasion, the transition animations in Touchwiz can stutter for a brief second. It has nothing to do with the power of the phone (it's a monster) and can be easily remedied via update. Or if you want to fix most of it yourself, there's plenty of areas on here where the fixes are detailed.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4

nata_panya

Apr 28, 2013
Visit site
Agree with Eric. There's no real lag and the s4 is a beast of a phone.

You could wait for the inevitable update (when will be minor to address this small issue) or do a couple of simple tweaks to so settings.

jokout1

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
First off, welcome to Android! Feel free to ask any questions, we would happy to help!
The so called "Lag" issue really ends up being a non-issue just as it was on the GS3! It comes down to several factory Animation settings that need to be turned off in the developer settings! There are a couple good vids up on Youtube that detail this process rather well!
As in any forum, we have a rather small but active contingent of "winers" that take great pleasure in riping devises that for the most part don't even own! Such is life!

Cheers

Dx3me

May 5, 2013
Visit site
Guys, first of all thank you for the 'warm' welcome...
Secondly... I decided to depart the Apple ship, and board the Android ship!! :p

- I just ordered my S4... looking forward to getting the beast, upcoming Wednesday.

skiner5246

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
Nice. Im sure you'll enjoy the phone. And remember for the most part, there are a ton of android geniuses here that are more than willing to help you with any questions you may have with your S4!
-cheers and congrats

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Android Central Forums

Dx3me

May 5, 2013
Visit site
You won't regret it.Beautiful phone. I changed from IPhone 4 .

Than we're coming from the same boat... I somewhat don't like the fact that these days they have to be soo big.
But I guess I have to get used to it.
One of the determing factors was the ability to shoot pics in full hd now, which the iphone will never be able to.
(saves me the hassle of having to bring my camera along)

Eric Kane

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Guys, first of all thank you for the 'warm' welcome...
Secondly... I decided to depart the Apple ship, and board the Android ship!! :p

- I just ordered my S4... looking forward to getting the beast, upcoming Wednesday.

Congrats. I hope you enjoy your new phone.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4

hpmini2009

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
Guys,

I'm not happy Apple didn't test iOS 6.1.3 for iPhone 4. I can't wait to get my Samsung Galaxy S4 Active. Anyone wanting to sell iPhones go to gazelle.com located right here in Texas. After spending 50 mins. on phone with AT&T and their only solution was to send another sim card. It didn't fix phone calling/receiving or voicemail issues. I also searched in forum and found link for user guide for the model I'm buying.
Does anyone sync w/their car ie. Prius?

-----------------------

myIphone4s

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
I. Am tossing my hat in. I had the iphone 3gs and 4s reason I switched was I got tired of apple. I had mine jail broken. I got the galaxy s3 now. Great phone, I rooted It and had custom roms I. Was impressed. Now back to stock, going to get the s4 soon

Downside, I miss my docking radio, and also my truck radio (now I have to use my aux cable which sounds like crap) I love the app store music more organized with music

fantom305

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Than we're coming from the same boat... I somewhat don't like the fact that these days they have to be soo big.
But I guess I have to get used to it.
One of the determing factors was the ability to shoot pics in full hd now, which the iphone will never be able to.
(saves me the hassle of having to bring my camera along)
I am sure you will get to like the bigger screen eventually. It is like having a computer with a 15 inch monitor and one with a 21inch monitor, everything looks bigger and neater.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz