Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default At&T Samsung Galaxy S4 Group Messaging Issue - Looking for a Solution

Update!!!!!

Problem was MY old Imessage account and the fact that my wife still has an iphone that uses the same apple id that we used to share. I had wiped my old iphone but apparently that wasn't enough. When I got the s4, group imessages were still going to my imessage account wherever that was. I was getting individual texts alright but not group responses from imessage users.

So all I had to do was change the password on the appleid account from itunes and that seemed to do the trick. I think the password change disabled imessage on my old iphone (that I had already sold) account. At the same time it still allowed my wife to keep the apple id that we shared and all of the purchases that we had made with it. Now all group messages are working in the s4 stock app and not disappearing into imessages or icloud or whatever. Thank you all who helped.

I never thought that this was even a concern when I switched from iphone to s4.

Here is my issue...
    • Can send group messages
    • When receiving replies from group messages, they come back from individuals.
    • I am not part of the group conversation.

What I have tried...
    stock Messaging app, AT&T Messages app, Handcent SMS, Go SMS Pro, GroupMe

What I would like to do...
    • Basically, send and receive group messages like my old iphone.
    • The group should be able to include people using any device and any carrier.
    • In a messaging app, select several people (without creating a group somewhere), and send one group message to all of them. Then when one of them replies, I would receive the message as part of the group (not an individual email). I could then reply and the message would be sent out to the entire group once again. In this way it will work more like a conversation amongst the people in the group.

If anyone out there has made this happen, please take the time to share the solution. Also, please use simple steps because either I am a complete moron or this is a very difficult process or perhaps both of these. I have heard of people making this work with some of the apps I mentioned above. If it is possible with one of those apps, please list the step by step process to set it up. Thank you.
    Last edited by obrobb; 05-09-2013 at 10:44 AM.
    Thanked by:

Default Re: At&T Samsung Galaxy S4 Group Messaging Issue - Looking for a Solution

Do u have this setting on? It's in the stock messaging settings

Sent from my Galaxy S4 Exynos!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails At&T Samsung Galaxy S4 Group Messaging Issue - Looking for a Solution-uploadfromtaptalk1367791508752.jpg  
    - Using the Galaxy S5! -

Global Posts
    60 Global Posts

Default Re: At&T Samsung Galaxy S4 Group Messaging Issue - Looking for a Solution

You don't have it set up correctly, mine works perfectly.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Android Central Forums
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Thank you. I do have that setting on. It allows me to send a group message. The problem is that I do not receive any replies at all when Group Messaging is checked.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by Timback View Post
    You don't have it set up correctly, mine works perfectly.

That is wonderful. Can you support that claim with a screenshot showing a group messaging thread that you sent/received/sent? If so, would you mind sharing how yours is set up correctly?

I have go sms and it it works with all my iPhone friends. Here is the setting you need to select

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails At&T Samsung Galaxy S4 Group Messaging Issue - Looking for a Solution-uploadfromtaptalk1367792205668.jpg  
    Thanked by:
    obrobb 
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by texasotts View Post
    I have go sms and it it works with all my iPhone friends. Here is the setting you need to select

Texas, thank you. I just tried that and am having the same issue. My wife received the group text on her iphone and responded to the group. I did not get the response. Is there another setting that I'm missing?
    Thanked by:
    ajdep 

On stock I have group messaging, auto retrieve and push messages boxes selected and nothing else. No notifications or anything. In go sms I have message grouping selected. Also make sure gosms set as your default messaging app
    I am attaching some pics of go sms settings and a pic of a group message to show you it works
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails At&T Samsung Galaxy S4 Group Messaging Issue - Looking for a Solution-uploadfromtaptalk1367794133616.jpg   At&T Samsung Galaxy S4 Group Messaging Issue - Looking for a Solution-uploadfromtaptalk1367794145252.jpg   At&T Samsung Galaxy S4 Group Messaging Issue - Looking for a Solution-uploadfromtaptalk1367794153902.jpg  
    Thanked by:
    obrobb 

I'm having the same problem! I think it has to do with iMessage. If the group I am having trouble with (2 iPhone users and my GS4) turn their iMessages off, I can group text with them. If its on, they get my text but I don't get their replies. Both stock and GoSMS have this issue.

I love this phone and have been able to troubleshoot every problem but this one! It's kind of like a final frontier for me...if I can get this to work, I will have found the perfect phone! Oh, and I now despise iMessage because of this!
    Thanked by:
    obrobb 
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Thanks again texas. I tried all that. No luck. Any other recommendations? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

At&T Samsung Galaxy S4 Group Messaging Issue - Looking for a Solution-uploadfromtaptalk1367803551637.jpg

At&T Samsung Galaxy S4 Group Messaging Issue - Looking for a Solution-uploadfromtaptalk1367803578433.jpg

At&T Samsung Galaxy S4 Group Messaging Issue - Looking for a Solution-uploadfromtaptalk1367803611458.jpg

At&T Samsung Galaxy S4 Group Messaging Issue - Looking for a Solution-uploadfromtaptalk1367803630968.jpg

At&T Samsung Galaxy S4 Group Messaging Issue - Looking for a Solution-uploadfromtaptalk1367803651522.jpg

Let me good at all my settings. I'll get back in just a bit I promise it will work but the settings have to be just right

Thanked by:
    obrobb 
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Jesse, you nailed it. The problem was not my phone but rather imessage on tge other phones. They turned off imessage and everything is cool now.

So I guess now I have to add
    Please turn off imessage before responding to group
    Before every group message I send.

Imessage is all bad.

Quote Originally Posted by obrobb View Post
    Jesse, you nailed it. The problem was not my phone but rather imessage on tge other phones. They turned off imessage and everything is cool now.

So I guess now I have to add
    Please turn off imessage before responding to group
    Before every group message I send.

Imessage is all bad.

Are you using Stock texing for group messaging?
    - Using the Galaxy S5! -

Ok my friends all have I message and it works for me. The apps I have to make it most like iPhone are
    Go sms and glow fly

First go to your phome settings and into application manager. Select your stock messaging app and make sure notifications are set to off and it shouldn't be set to default for anything once all settings are finished. Attached pic to show

Stock messenger settings
    Make sure to check group messaging
    Check auto retrieve
    Check push messages

Go sms settings
    Under basic tab
    Click default option and make sure go sms is default for both view and send

Under advanced tab
    Check message grouping
    Under emoji encoding select iPhone/softbank
    Check use default picture viewer

Send settings
    Check mms group chat
    Check enable animation while sending

Receive settings
    Check disable other messaging notifications
    Check push messages

Install glowfly
    Go into settings and
    Check pop up enabled
    Select a ring tone or notification you want check notify on call
    Select vibrate
    Check blink led

Do not use the pop up or notifications on go sms. I only have checked what I wrote and that's it. You will see in the pics no notifications or defaults set on stock messaging but on go sms. You can also search play store and download the emoji add on fro go sms and have iPhone emoji. Hope it works. I had it working on my s3 and now my galaxy s4

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails At&T Samsung Galaxy S4 Group Messaging Issue - Looking for a Solution-uploadfromtaptalk1367809247671.jpg   At&T Samsung Galaxy S4 Group Messaging Issue - Looking for a Solution-uploadfromtaptalk1367809265891.jpg  
    Thanked by:

Someone else found a solution, thread here: Confirm Group Texting on Galaxy S4

Issue looks to be due to a conflict with AT&T's stock messaging app which is why it is only happening to AT&T users, you have to disable it. Follow the link for detailed explanation.

I think he's talking about the att messages app. It puts your visual voice mail and messages all together. It interferes with your messenger app so if you want visual voice mail go for the actual visual voice mail app and not the att messages app

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse111579 View Post
    I'm having the same problem! I think it has to do with iMessage. If the group I am having trouble with (2 iPhone users and my GS4) turn their iMessages off, I can group text with them. If its on, they get my text but I don't get their replies. Both stock and GoSMS have this issue.

I love this phone and have been able to troubleshoot every problem but this one! It's kind of like a final frontier for me...if I can get this to work, I will have found the perfect phone! Oh, and I now despise iMessage because of this!
    Don't think it's an iMessage problem because dimes save just sends and recieved text via wifi not sms over other iPhone iOS 6 users

I didn't really understand your response? For those of you having issues do you still have your iPhones? If so make sure to shut your imessage feature off or else you will still receive messages on your iPhone via imessage.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Bjerregaard2 View Post
    Last edited by Jimmy Bjerregaard2; 05-07-2013 at 01:24 AM. Reason: I like to work vevry hard when I have something I shut do I go directly for it I don't stop before I am finish I go for the goal and finish it loss or win I tried you no

a lot of people don't seem to understand this issue. i'll try to explain it a bit better.

i had an iphone 4s with imessage turned on. whenever i would text another apple device that had imessage my text would appear in a blue cloud. when i would text somebody who did not have imessage enabled, or if they were using android or whatever, my message would appear in a green cloud.

when i switched to the galaxy s4, initially i could not receive any texts from imessage users. the messages were still going to my inactive 4S. I had to switch off imessage and remove my iphone information from apples website and only then was I able to receive texts on my galaxy s4. the stock messaging app on the s4 allows for group messages, so I am able to message multiple friends with iphones in a single thread.

the problem i have been running into is that not every message in those group threads get through to my s4. i probably receive about 40% of the messages being sent. the group message is comprised of like 7 imessage users and I am the only person with an android. the issue is that for some reason when my friends send a text in the group thread (only occurs in group messages, never happens in 1 on 1 threads) their iphone randomly either chooses to send it as an unreadable imessage (blue cloud) or a regular text message (green cloud), which I am able to read. i have no idea which device is at fault, or what process the iphone uses to either send a message as imessage or regular text but it is extremely annoying. the only workaround seems to be having to ask everybody to disable their imessage. hopefully there will be a future update coming to either device that will address this issue.

I didn't deactivate my iPhone imessage or anything. The issue is I think is that if you still have your iPhone you probably have your wifi on. As long as wifi is on you can still receive I messages on your apple device. Turn your wifi off and see if that helps. I know it's a pain but I can receive all group messages from iPhone users in a group message. I am the only one with android out of my friends. I wish apple had never made imessage.

Hey obrobb, I had this issue too and was able to resolve it by taking the sim card out of my new S4, plugging it back into my iPhone, powering it on, turning off iMessage, and then powering the iPhone off. When I plugged it back into my S4, it seemed to have done the trick. I also made sure to remove the phone from my Apple Support profile (https://supportprofile.apple.com/). I don't know if you have to do that, but I did. Good luck!
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  

Fleet,
    Turning off imessage does seem to be the key. I had sold my iphone and my wife was using the same Apple id that I was. So instead I unregistered my old iPhone and changed the password on the Apple id and then my messaging problem was fixed. I am not sure exactly which one did the trick but I am glad to be past that group messaging issue.

I had the same problem, but was not sharing an acct with another device. My other problem was that I had already sold my iPhone before finding out that iMessage was the culprit. Luckily, my wife still has an iPhone.

I spent 2 hours Saturday morning making a backup of her phone and resetting it to original. I then put my S4 SIM card in it and loaded the latest backup from my old iPhone, went in and turned iMessage off. Then had to restore it and load her backup in to get her back going.

Different approach that OP, same end result. Between the two of us, hopefully it will help others out.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast