Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By fantom305
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Galaxy S4 GLAS.tR SLIM - worth it?

I'm looking to buy a Galaxy s4 very soon and was wondering if putting a screen protector on the phone is worth it? I was looking into the Spigen GLAS.tR Slim. Is it worth the hefty price tag?

Thanks!

ROM
    2.2.1 froyo EB16, Voodoo

Default Re: Galaxy S4 GLAS.tR SLIM - worth it?

this really comes down to how you use your phone...While the S4 has Gorilla glass 3, I don't like to tempt fate! Personally I tend to be pretty careful with my screens and haven't used a screen protector on my last 3 phones, no scratches to speak of but again it depends on you!

Cheers

I have it on mine and I love it. I have the feeling of bare glass without worrying about scratching it. It works well with cases as well.

I ordered one, should get it in about a week. I will let you know how I like it,

Global Posts
    4,536 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by BarackOdrama View Post
    I have it on mine and I love it. I have the feeling of bare glass without worrying about scratching it. It works well with cases as well.
    Can you post some pictures of it installed? Does it get any bubbles - I know it a one shot only installation.

Quote Originally Posted by ibcop View Post
    Can you post some pictures of it installed? Does it get any bubbles - I know it a one shot only installation.
    I'm at work now but will do it when I get home.

The install was alot easier than it was on my iPhone. The home button on the S4 is raised so it's easier to align the protector. My install was perfect with no bubbles.

It's not really a one shot install. Once you place it on the phone, you can still slide it around until you get it perfect. Even after it adheres, you can still lift it and be okay though it's not advised.

Here are some pics. Didn't have much light to work with.

Thanked by 3:

Global Posts
    4,536 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Awesome sauce. How about the installation procedure - is it like installing a screen protector?

How do u install it so perfectly? I always have a hard time installing protectors

Sent from my Galaxy S4 Exynos!
    - Using the Galaxy S5! -

I had my s2 for a year and a half with just a case, dropped several times, never had any issues with my screen/glass.

However, my wife had the same phone, different case, no screen protector either, that she kept mainly in her purse, and she got a big scratch on the glass face! Go figure, right. And you know I used mine 10x more than she did!
    Luck of the draw. Better safe than sorry?
    Not sure. we just upgraded to the s4 and got cases but no screen protectors.
    You would think we learned our lesson.
    But I just don't like the looks of them.

Posted via Android Central App

Quote Originally Posted by ibcop View Post
    Awesome sauce. How about the installation procedure - is it like installing a screen protector?
    Quote Originally Posted by smooth4lyfe View Post
    How do u install it so perfectly? I always have a hard time installing protectors

Sent from my Galaxy S4 Exynos!
    It comes with all the tools you need. Some people like to install it in a steamy bathroom. That's too much work for me. I just do it wherever I feel like doing it.

First I wash my hands to make sure I don't leave any fingerprints if I happened to touch the sticky side of the protector.

Then I wipe down my phone with the supplied cloth. There's also an alcohol pad provided that I use as well.

An extra tool I use is a can of compressed air. I spray it at the screen right before I place the protector down to make sure no dust settled on the screen.

I just gently place the protector on top of the screen. It doesn't adhere immediately so you have a chance to slide it around a little to get it perfectly aligned. Once you get it where you want it, you just press it down and you'll see it start to adhere. Just use the home button as a guide for your alignment.

That's it. To me it's easier than installing a regular protector because it's solid. The flimsiness of plastic protectors makes it harder for me.
    Thanked by:
    ibcop 
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    9,006 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

It comes with all the tools you need. Some people like to install it in a steamy bathroom. That's too much work for me. I just do it wherever I feel like doing it.

First I wash my hands to make sure I don't leave any fingerprints if I happened to touch the sticky side of the protector.

Then I wipe down my phone with the supplied cloth. There's also an alcohol pad provided that I use as well.

An extra tool I use is a can of compressed air. I spray it at the screen right before I place the protector down to make sure no dust settled on the screen.

I just gently place the protector on top of the screen. It doesn't adhere immediately so you have a chance to slide it around a little to get it perfectly aligned. Once you get it where you want it, you just press it down and you'll see it start to adhere. Just use the home button as a guide for your alignment.

That's it. To me it's easier than installing a regular protector because it's solid. The flimsiness of plastic protectors makes it harder for me.
    Has it affected usability at all? I have yet to see one of these in person and am really interested to hear about it.

Kevin F.I.M.T.K. O'Quinn Esq.

Quote Originally Posted by syontix View Post
    I'm looking to buy a Galaxy s4 very soon and was wondering if putting a screen protector on the phone is worth it? I was looking into the Spigen GLAS.tR Slim. Is it worth the hefty price tag?

Thanks!
    I've used a tempered glass screen protector on my GS3 and it really did a great job of protecting the screen during drops. Even on a horrible drop on rough pavement, the phone fell flat on the face, and the screen protector took all the impact with minimal cracking in the corners. I peeled the protector off to sell the phone and the screen was in perfect condition. Worth every penny and felt better (it's glass) than any other material out there.

I used to have one on my S3 and it worked pretty good except when I went to use an application named card reader. Most of the register's scanners at different business could not read the bar codes store in my phone. I was planning to put one on my S4 until I saw a video on youtube where a guy tried to scratch the glass with keys, knives, and other metal objects and none of them would scratch the screen, so I decided to keep mine with out one. I normally keep mine in a pouch on my belt.
    roberts68 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin O'Quinn View Post
    Has it affected usability at all? I have yet to see one of these in person and am really interested to hear about it.

Not one bit. Air View works perfectly and all the gestures work as intended. The little glow that shows up on the lockscreen that follows your finger may react a little funky but in no way does it affect usability.

I rock my phone naked except for the Glas.tr and it also comes with a nice back protector to protect against scratches. I also like the little bit of added weight. I thought the phone was extremely light when I pulled it out of the box so the extra grams make it feel more solid to me.

I don't remember how the stock glass feels because I put this on shortly after getting the phone, but the Glas.tr feels awesome under my fingers. It's so smooth and it looks like Samsung put it on there themselves.

Global Posts
    4,981 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock .4.1.1

It looks awesome and is a great fit overall. Now that the S4 32GB is coming out this weekend and I am supposed to pick up my OG Pro this weekend, I have to now decide whether to pay extra for it and sacrifice the wireless charging and deal with Samsung or LG.

Zagg for the screen and incipio for the case

Global Posts
    4,981 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock .4.1.1

Do you use it with a case, if so what cases have you found it to work with? Spigen really should do a better job of indicating if any cases won't work with it. I am looking at the Neo-Hybrid or their S-View type pouch but don't want to order and have issues with the case working.

Global Posts
    773 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor007 View Post
    Do you use it with a case, if so what cases have you found it to work with? Spigen really should do a better job of indicating if any cases won't work with it. I am looking at the Neo-Hybrid or their S-View type pouch but don't want to order and have issues with the case working.
    Look at the videos on YouTube for the screen protector. It should work with any case

I might be wrong but I'm guessing the screen cover wouldn't work with a Otterbox defender right?

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Android Central Forums
    Running CyanogenMod 10 on my rooted Galaxy S3!

Global Posts
    4,981 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock .4.1.1

Well I have a OB Commuter arriving tomorrow and a Spigen Slim Armor Dante Red on Wednesday so the winner will be announced by Wednesday. I like OB cases, but they are a bit on the chunky side. I have read users on other phones using OB cases with Glas.t and having no issues so I took a shot and will test fit before I put it to use. I also ordered the aluminum buttons from Spigen since they are 50% off both at Amazon and Spigen's site and it will make up for the recessed button with Glas.tR.

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor007 View Post
    All Spigen glass screen protectors work with all Spigen cases for sure. It may work with others as well. It's guaranteed to work with their own cases though.

ROM
    4.1.2 Stock

It looks great, but I'm addicted to the feel of the Gorilla Glass 3. I'm extra careful with my phones, so I've never really used screen protectors. I just fell in love with the way the Gorilla Glass 3 feels and I doubt I could get the same feel from the GLAS.tR. Hopefully I'll see one in person soon so I can have a touchsie and then maybe we'll talk.

All Spigen glass screen protectors work with all Spigen cases for sure. It may work with others as well. It's guaranteed to work with their own cases though.
    Here's the problem I see with Spigen's glass screen protectors.

I just installed the Glas.t slim. At .23mm, it is thick enough to be higher than the Home key. Luckily, I had some
    of the Spigen aluminum buttons and used one to give it a more normal feel.

The Glas.tR Slim is even thicker at .4mm.

I think this is why Spigen is pushing the aluminium buttons. Can't imagine imagine using one of the Glas.t screen protectors without one.

John

Quote Originally Posted by thehatguy View Post
    Here's the problem I see with Spigen's glass screen protectors.

I just installed the Glas.t slim. At .23mm, it is thick enough to be higher than the Home key. Luckily, I had some
    of the Spigen aluminum buttons and used one to give it a more normal feel.

The Glas.tR Slim is even thicker at .4mm.

I think this is why Spigen is pushing the aluminium buttons. Can't imagine imagine using one of the Glas.t screen protectors without one.

John
    I'm sure that is why. The buttons only ship with the glass screen protectors.

I use mine without one though. I don't like the feel of the button. I used to go without one on my iPhone as well. It takes getting used to at first but I don't mind it now.