1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default better text message app?

hi is thee a better app for text messages? because the one that is on the s4 doesnt show a preview of the text message when it arrives..it just rings and shows "new message" not likie the my old iphone where when a text message comes in it shows the messge on the locked screen or any screen you are viewing..
    thanks

Default Re: better text message app?

Handcent and GoSMS seem to be the most popular alternatives. I tried both, and while Go seems to have more features, Handcent works fine for me.

What kind of preview are you looking for? Handcent will briefly show part of the text in the notification bar. If I remember correctly, Go offers the option of a pop up display that show the message on top of whatever else you were doing. SMS Popup will do that with the standard messaging app.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

If I've helped you, please click the "Thanks" button.

Have a Galaxy S3? Click here ==> Everything you wanted to know about your Galaxy S3

I like ChompSMS.

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums.

Chomp.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Thanks I would like it to also stay on the lock screen instead of just a pop up until I unlock it this way I can just hit the home button and see that I have a text message

Quote Originally Posted by raymondtrudeau View Post
    hi is thee a better app for text messages? because the one that is on the s4 doesnt show a preview of the text message when it arrives..it just rings and shows "new message" not likie the my old iphone where when a text message comes in it shows the messge on the locked screen or any screen you are viewing..
    thanks
    Did u turn it on in settings?

Sent from my Galaxy S4 Exynos!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails better text message app?-uploadfromtaptalk1367857528790.jpg  
    - Using the Galaxy S5! -
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

I do not see it in settings can you let me know how to do it
    thanks

Go download glowfly. It's the closest to iPhone notification but better because you can respond from the Window that pops up

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Android Central Forums

Quote Originally Posted by raymondtrudeau View Post
    I do not see it in settings can you let me know how to do it
    thanks
    When you are in the message app, press the Menu button and click Settings, then scroll down and u should see it
    - Using the Galaxy S5! -

Quote Originally Posted by texasotts View Post
    Go download glowfly. It's the closest to iPhone notification but better because you can respond from the Window that pops up

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Android Central Forums
    Same as Chomp.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

thanks i got it i always for get about the hidden key beside the home buton

Global Posts
    211 Global Posts

Is anybody using FB Messenger/Chat Heads for their dedicated SMS/MMS app? I kind of like how it works for my FB messages, but I'm not sure if it will give me all the functionality I'd like compared to a dedicated SMS app.

The galaxy S4 does show up on you lock screen is set up in the settings, just can't reply from it.

Sliding Messages is what I'm using right now, it's sleek and works great, I also tried chomp but preferred sliding messages.

Sent from my GT-I9500

Quote Originally Posted by Marck527 View Post
    Sliding Messages is what I'm using right now, it's sleek and works great, I also tried chomp but preferred sliding messages.
    I tried that app, what I didn't like is that it would automatically popup the keyboard after clicking on a message to read.
    Michael

Textra is what I use. Plus I use Ninja SMS because I do like the Chat Heads facebook messager has and ninja sms has that. If you are a chomp user try textra because it's made by same company.