My take on this "lag" issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

tohio

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Let me preface this by saying that I do not pay for most of the phones I use. Testing and learning them is part of my job, and the hardware is a tool to do it with -- much like a mechanic needs wrenches. I've had a black Sprint S4 here for a bit, and have been observing and thinking about what I'm seeing.

Here's the most interesting part about what we're (Phil, Alex and myself) seeing about the lag. The Sprint version seems to be (much) more affected than the AT&T/Rogers version and the Euro version (S600). We have not tried the Exynos version. All I can think of here is something Sprint has pre-loaded may be contributing to the issue. That's not very scientific, but nothing sticks out to explain this.

Having said that, let me tell you that most of these "issues" about the lag are a bit overblown. Other than a gallery bug (more later) none are show-stoppingly bad. With the tweaks found in this forum and others (animations, shutting off services and S voice, etc) I see the following:

The lock screen lags if you're using any of the effects. The Ripple effect is the worst. Choose none.
Incoming notifications make the phone stall for a split second a fraction of a split second.
Opening apps sometimes will have a stutter. I've seen no pattern here, which makes me think this is dependent of either free RAM or CPU load.
Weather widget sometimes redraws when going back "home".
The Gallery is FUBAR :p

Other than the Gallery, none of these is nearly as bad as people make it out to be, especially if you've done any of the "fixes". Without turning off some of the features, yes it can be a bit frustrating on occasion, but there is nothing here that a bit of software tweaking won't fix. Samsung wants to sell a billion of these, and I expect some sort of update soonish to get people in love with the S4 again.

Now, the gallery. It's slow. It locks up. It freezes. It has caused a full reboot more than once. Not every time, but it's never a speedy experience. Especially if you've tied uploads to your Dropbox account to the camera photos. This will start out OK, but as you add items to the gallery it gets steadily worse. Samsung needs to fix the Gallery app. I'm sure they will. Alex says if you have enabled camera uploads in Dropbox, you'll need to factory reset to fix it. I've factory reset numerous times to see how apps affect the lag overall, so I have to believe him (as my gallery is better after a reset). I'm almost feeling there is an issue with the media scanner at play versus the code for the gallery app itself. Just a guess.

Now, since I didn't get in on the review for this one, my impressions of the best selling phone of the year (yes, it will be).

It's plastic. Lots of things are plastic. This is shiny and slick plastic, which looks and feels different from soft-touch plastic. If Samsung had just used a soft touch coating none of this crap would be an issue. They didn't. The phone isn't going to break because it's plastic, nor does it feel bad (or slimy like some folks mentioned). In fact, it feels very ergonomic and solidly built. It feels as good to hold as the HTC One does, at least to me.

The screen. I <3 Super AMOLED's colors and blacks. Yes, it's fake color but I don't care when I'm watching a movie. Having said that, the screen on the One or the iPhone 5 is clearer and slightly sharper. So what? The screen on the S4 is really nice, and with my glasses off holding it 2 inches from my eyes, I'm not hating pentile like I did with the G Nex or even the S3. If every phone came with a screen this good we'd be lucky.

The storage. 9GB. That's enough for me. It might not be enough for you. It's not gonna change, and if you want everything but the kitchen sink included you have to have somewhere to put it all. Know in advance that you get about 9GB free on the 16GB version, and deal with it your own way. Wait for the 32 or 64, get a One, switch back to the iPhone, whatever you need to do. Just do it :)

The features. Half of them don't work as advertised. But when they are shut off they are out of my way. I do wish the translate app worked a bit better, and that Samsung would just abandon S Voice altogether :)

I would choose the HTC One, because I like the camera features and front facing speakers. I also need to hate on the SD card and menu button, which I think is holding back the whole platform. But you might not think that way. It's cool. Diff'rent strokes and all.

Hopefully, this helps someone who hasn't had a chance to see the S4 for themselves sort through all the online garbage about lag, and plastic, and gimmicks, and 9GB.

This is what I've come to expect from Android Central. A supposedly technical discussion about lag on a phone turns into a sales pitch for the HTC One. I'll bet if anyone of us forum members had posted a recommendation for the S4 in the HTC One forum we would have been castigated by the forum members and the moderator. Shameless.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I'm wondering if this is a Dropbox issue or bug when it comes to lag

I'm on AT&T. I have almost no stutter in any area on my phone. Gallery is lag free and bug free. No crashes. No issues on lock screen and I'm using the lens flair.
I have plenty of live widgets on my 5 home screens. Even my live photo widget works great every time.

I have most air/motion gestures turned on to test battery life and still minimal (transitional) stuttering if at all.

Besides the gallery, can someone tell me when they mostly see it. I don't even have this issue on the lock screen and I'm using lens flair.

I will say that I do get a stutter once on a blue once I started using a ton of live widgets. But leaving window animation set to 1, but turning the rest to .5 helped with stuttering to the point that its almost gone completely. So could it be a dropbox issue?

With that said, I do have a bug...
Why oh why did At&T remove the fine tuning of the auto brightness?

sent from my S4 using motion gestures!!!!

Eric Kane 1

May 7, 2013
Visit site
This is what I've come to expect from Android Central. A supposedly technical discussion about lag on a phone turns into a sales pitch for the HTC One. I'll bet if anyone of us forum members had posted a recommendation for the S4 in the HTC One forum we would have been castigated by the forum members and the moderator. Shameless.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with saying what he prefers. That wasn't a shameless plug for the HTC One at all.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
There's absolutely nothing wrong with saying what he prefers. That wasn't a shameless plug for the HTC One at all.

The funny thing is Jerry preferred the S4, not the One. He only used the htc phone as a comparison, and that is a normal thing to do at this time.

maverick96

May 16, 2010
Visit site
The funny thing is Jerry preferred the S4, not the One. He only used the htc phone as a comparison, and that is a normal thing to do at this time.

Really? He clearly stated he prefers the One

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

tohio

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site

Eric, he titles a post in such a way that makes readers think it is a discussion about a technical issue with the Galaxy S4. Then he downplays the S4 and recommends an HTC One, in a Galaxy S4 forum. Unless you think saying things like, "The features. Half of them don't work as advertised." is a positive statement you would have to agree that the post was negative regarding the S4. Remember who is posting this, the cowboy is supposed to be an expert on phones and is an editor on this site. This isn't just a forum member expressing his preference.

tohio

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site

Better reread his post (carefully this time). ;) "I would choose the HTC One, because I like the camera features and front facing speakers. I also need to hate on the SD card and menu button, which I think is holding back the whole platform."

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
http://cdn-forums.androidcentral.com/avatars/vb_ac/avatar8925_4.gif
:confused:

Agreed. Everybody craps on the iPhone...but it doesn't lag or jitter.

It is pretty troubling when a 2013 flagship device stumbles on simple things that 2010 Androids didn't :(

CyanogenMod will fix all...

I wish all Android phones would ship with stock Android and simply have a guided setup to allow the user to choose which manufacturer-installed items they want.

Actually the iPhone does lag sometimes...especially if its jaibroken
My iPhone had a problem with freezing sometimes

Eric Kane 1

May 7, 2013
Visit site
Eric, he titles a post in such a way that makes readers think it is a discussion about a technical issue with the Galaxy S4. Then he downplays the S4 and recommends an HTC One, in a Galaxy S4 forum. Unless you think saying things like, "The features. Half of them don't work as advertised." is a positive statement you would have to agree that the post was negative regarding the S4. Remember who is posting this, the cowboy is supposed to be an expert on phones and is an editor on this site. This isn't just a forum member expressing his preference.

As much as I know about mobile and as many phones as I've tested/used over the years, I respect his opinion. I have zero issue with him sharing what he thinks about the phone. If anything, I'm glad he stated the same thing I've been saying this whole time in that the "lag" is overblown.

As far as the staff here liking the One better than the S4, I'm not sure why anyone cares. The One is a reviewers wet dream. HTC hit a home run by basically checking off all the negatives that are given in reviews, i.e. low light camera performance, build materials/quality, speaker performance, heavy UIs, etc. It should be no surprise that a vast majority of tech sites that review phones like the One better.

The Galaxy line has crossed into iPhone territory with its success and hype. They've geared their devices to appease the average consumer while not completely alienating the tech community that helped make it what it is. When you do that, there's some sacrifices to be made.

Both Samsung and HTC are trying to win market share and make money. For now, Samsung is just better at it.

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site

It's more the lack of even handedness that bothers me. The One has at least as many problems as the S4 and you'd be hard pressed to find where Jerry or any of the mods harped on those issues like they have with the S4. I chalk it up to the folks at AC rooting for an underdog(HTC) and perhaps to a lesser extent, being overly enamored with the One's obvious good looks.

Regardless, no one should base their decision on which phone to purchase based on what Jerry, Phil, Tom, **** or Harry has to say and instead frequent a variety of outlets and use both devices and form an independent opinion. At the end of the day, both the One and the S4 are great devices, each with inherent strengths and weaknesses which vary from user to user.

slackerjack

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
Its not just the AC crew...look across the internet at all the tech bloggers circling the wagons around HTC. I'm not opposed to it...its their blog, and their right to do so...but to think that half of the reviews you see tempered against a desire to not see HTC fall by the wayside, is just naive.

Again, this isn't an implication of the AC staff...they do a terrific job. I'm just in awe that if you look across all reviews...theres exactly 2 that mention that the GS4 (US variant) is 15-20% faster than the One, and with a different chip set...let me tell you...in tech..15-20% is important..and relevant no matter how much you value the extra horsepower

Sent from my Galaxy S 4 on Sprint...and yes, I have LTE so I don't need to hear anyone's **** about how Sprint sucks and there's no LTE

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
It's more the lack of even handedness that bothers me. The One has at least as many problems as the S4 and you'd be hard pressed to find where Jerry or any of the mods harped on those issues like they have with the S4. I chalk it up to the folks at AC rooting for an underdog(HTC) and perhaps to a lesser extent, being overly enamored with the One's obvious good looks.

Regardless, no one should base their decision on which phone to purchase based on what Jerry, Phil, Tom, **** or Harry has to say and instead frequent a variety of outlets and use both devices and form an independent opinion. At the end of the day, both the One and the S4 are great devices, each with inherent strengths and weaknesses which vary from user to user.

I so fully agree with you....my name is Harry and I approve this message. :p

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Better reread his post (carefully this time). ;) "I would choose the HTC One, because I like the camera features and front facing speakers. I also need to hate on the SD card and menu button, which I think is holding back the whole platform."

He stated what he would choose and also that he would more like to watch movies on the S4 screen. In fact, I would even date say that in general he would prefer an OLED screen.

But I see your point and agree, the editors here are not playing fair and should be ashamed with themselves.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
If you've been here long enough, you would know that most of the AC staff 'prefer' HTC. Nothing wrong with that because they run a great site for ALL phones! :)

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
If you've been here long enough, you would know that most of the AC staff 'prefer' HTC. Nothing wrong with that because they run a great site for ALL phones! :)

I also prefer htc and this is my first samsung phone.

DioramaMaker

May 2, 2013
Visit site
This is what I've come to expect from Android Central (after less than a week!). People who jump others simply for their opinion.

Unprovoked.
I'm gonna stand with Jerry on this one, not because I necessarily agree with his conclusion (I don't even know where mine will be, though I am leaning to the Galaxy in fact, the ONE certainly has it's positives), but because he listed discussed both phones and highlighted something that affects a lot of devices in a more concise manner. It was simply his preference for the ONE, and that he was polite about it. Things like this are helpful to those who haven't decided yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w8wca