Galaxy S4: Major problem - SIM card not detected

James Gray5

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
Re: Major problem - Sim card not detected

Just reset my Samsung S4 back to factory settings and this has seemed to get rid of the problem....
Very odd....

And I was just using the normal Android OS.

future_treo

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
I'm getting this problem too... AT&T S4 32 GB with KitKat. Very annoying. Tried factory restore, swapped sims, etc, but still getting this problem.

chnar

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
you are absolutely right i have the same problem in my samsong galaxy s4 i was playing when the screen slowed down and the mobile gets so hot and the connection has disabled i tried to change the hardware piece that reads the sim card but when i turned the phone on the sim card reader get so hot so i turned it off i think it might be an Electrical fault happened there. any one knows what to do?

alicepomme

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
I have the same problem with an old phone lg optimus 2x.. It started when i put an other sim card than mine in it. Now it reconizes that there is a card a can even tell the phone number but it cant connect to the network... (Says emergency call only and network unknown).. Anyone knows how to fix this? It seems like there is no real-working solution for this issue...
Thanks

Posted via Android Central App

elvyb

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
Had the same problem. Tmobile S4. After 3 days of restarting phone when sims card was not detected went to Tmobile exchanged for new sims card . After 2 hours with new sims card. Restarting phone did not work. S4 was still under warranty. Sent that phone in and now have new S4 that is working fine.

Maestro007

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
Send it to Samsung service centre and i had a new mother board and sim card slot. That did e trick. Its not software issues. Its a hardware problem that needs to be service. Without warranty motherboard alone can cost up to $300. Now its up and running agn. Great service personnel by Samsung as compared to Sony staffs..

Timothy Richardson2

May 1, 2014
Visit site

Error with sim card has to be a heat issue. My S4 only has this error while my mophie case is charging causing my phone to get hot also while playing games causing it to heat up.

DickieDooda

May 1, 2014
Visit site

I seem to have exactly the same problem with my brand new Galaxy S4

I am interested in knowing if any of you are using a SIM PIN on your phone as this seems to be the trigger for me. If I enable the SIM lock PIN and restart the Phone, after boot the phone asks for the SIM PIN then tells me the SIM is being unlocked, then 80% (or so) of the time will then NOT log into the network says No Service (10-20% ish of the time it will work)
A secondary issue is that imediately after entering the SIM PIN I also am unable to enter the Phone unlock PIN as the numbers do not appear on the screen. the only way is to press the power button to sleep the phone and then open it again I can now log into the phone successfully, Once in, interestingly I do have network service bars but if I try to enable data I get the message please insert a SIM card, in the settings all SIM operations are disabled (like trying to disable the PIN lock) the only solution is to restart the phone and try again.

EDIT: - I forgot to say that I can also make and receive calls and texts, and the phone number reports to the receiving device correctly (even though I technically have no service) it's the data that does not work or any SIM functions.

It should be noted that this issue only seemed to occur IMMEDIATELY after the update to 4.4.2. The 4.3 shipped FW did NOT exhibit this fault AFAIK

More detail...
I originally received my phone (on EE) just over a week ago and everything was working fine until I updated to KitKat (4.4.2) after some research I realised the SIM PIN seemed to be causing the problem.
I initially thought that perhaps the SIM was faulty so the EE shop kindly replaced it free of charge. Initially this seemed to fix the problem (for the first few hours at least) then the same issue.
I then decided to revert my phone back to factory settings, so no google account or anything and the same recipe will trigger the issue. (SIM PIN lock and Pin Phone Lock) at this point I took the phone back to EE and demonstrated the issue to them. They kindly replaced the phone.
I immediately tried to replicate the fault with 4.3 (as installed on the replacement phone) and could not with 5 or so restarts of the phone, I then disabled the phone and SIM pins (just to be sure) and upgraded the phone to 4.4.2 by OTA update.

Once the update was complete I put the SIM PIN and device PIN back in and restarted the phone only to be greeted with the "No Service" error again, after a couple of restarts I managed to get the phone to recognise the SIM and disabled the SIM lock. Needless to say I have taken the phone back to EE, I am now waiting on a response as to what they are going to do.

The trouble is I want SIM lock for security reasons I should not have to disable a security feature in order to use the phone.

Anyone else???

This HAS to be a software issue surely... SAMSUNG when are you going to fix this?

Last edited:

DickieDooda

May 1, 2014
Visit site

Update from my EE store, apparently this is a known issue with using a SIM PIN (to EE at least) I hope Samsung have been informed and that this will be fixed in an update very shortly.

Last edited:

David M5

May 3, 2014
Visit site
I also had this problem on a Samsung Galaxy S4 with the new dodgy updates from Samsung and with a SIM card from EE (I lost the mobile data functionality and got the message about the SIM not being in even though it was). The following fix worked for me (this same fix has actually solved a few of the problems caused by the dodgy Samsung updates):

1. Shut down the phone. Boot into recovery mode by holding down the on button and the volume up button at the same time, then releasing the on button when a message appears in the top left corner of the screen about recovery mode. Keep holding down the volume up button until it goes into recovery mode.
2. Run the option to clear the cache. Then restart the phone normally.

I hope this helps others too.

David

DickieDooda

May 1, 2014
Visit site
Thanks, Just out of interest, do you use a SIM PIN lock? Or was this just happening regardless.
Also does the cache clearing reset any of your settings?

Magdy Farag

May 5, 2014
Visit site
Hi

I have solved this problem finally

it was software parameter, and here is the solution:
1- go to setting
2- at connectios Menu choose <More networks >
3- choose < Mobile networks >
4- choose < Network mode >
5- chose either < WCDMA only > or <GSM Only > According to your Provider Service

Mostly GSM Works for our countries

DickieDooda

May 1, 2014
Visit site
I'm glad it worked for you but I don't think this will work for many people and will not work for me, as I have 3 options (not the two you show).
  • 4G/3G/2G (auto connect)
  • 3G/2G (auto connect)
  • 3G only

basically I do not want to loose 4G or the possibility of not being able to use 2G in bad reception areas.

Again, does anyone who is having this problem using a SIM PIN please?

seenk

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
I've been having this issue on and off for most of 2014. It wasn't all that frequent so I haven't worried too much about it, but this week it's been 10+ times a day. I'm going to try a few suggestions on here and see what happens.

DickieDooda, I do not use the sim pin and am having the same issues.

Magdy Farag, I also have different options and need to keep mine on the "LTE/WCDMA/GSM" option so that I continue to get LTE network speeds

DickieDooda

May 1, 2014
Visit site
Thanks seenk. I was hoping that the SIM PIN thing was the linking factor but obviously not. Hope you get it sorted, mine is currently resolved by just disabling SIM PIN, but I want to be able to turn it back on at some stage.

DickieDooda

May 1, 2014
Visit site
I think there are two issues with the SIM problem,

One is a contact issue related to heat and other contact related factors. This will manifest itself in use as suddenly saying the SIM is not found, and possibly also at startup
The other is a software issue that means that the OS cannot read the SIM properly (which is linked to the SIM having a PIN lock). This will always fail at startup (not while running) but if it does manage to read the SIM then it will continue OK until the next reboot.

Unless anyone can prove otherwise that is...

paulwn

May 20, 2014
Visit site
Did the recovery cache wipe 2month ago no problems since on s4 ee .mine started when installing amazon .also using sim lock no problems now. When you've rebooted from cache wipe u may have to reinsert sim in phone. Installed cache cleaner as well. I accept no responsibility if u brick your phone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty