1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Question Micro SD Crash Course Please?

I'm probably going to plunge into the S4 this Friday...maybe...if the One doesn't do something amazing. Who knows. But right now I'm pretty set with the Galaxy I think.

Anyhow.

SD Card Crash Course?

-What cards do you guys recommend/personally use? I don't want to break the bank but man, that 64gb Samsung xc card seems to be slick!

-Do I need to format it, or do anything to the card before I put it in the phone? Set up folders on it?

-I hear the cards caused crashing problems on some phones, was this just app related, hence the locking of apps to internal storage? Due to not properly formatting?

-Any additional things to know?

I know this seems like a silly topic but I'd rather make a post in preparation than a post asking for help on how to fix something that's gone wrong somehow. Thanks guys!

Default Re: Micro SD Crash Course Please?

I bought the sandisk ultra 32gb card at walmart for $30. Its a class 10 card with uhs-1 speed support. I put the card into the phone, went to the more section under settings, clicked on storage. You should see your card toward the bottom under device memory. Just click on format and thats it. You will want to go to camera settings to set photos and videos to save on SD card.

Sent From My Galaxy S4 Using Android Central App
    Thanked by:

I don't know that you need the 64gb Samsung xc, but does sound nice.
    Definitely don't cheap out on the card speed. Class 10 is recommended, 6 or better is an absolute must, IMO.
    Thanked by:
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by mpdofficer514 View Post
    I bought the sandisk ultra 32gb card at walmart for $30. Its a class 10 card with uhs-1 speed support. I put the card into the phone, went to the more section under settings, clicked on storage. You should see your card toward the bottom under device memory. Just click on format and thats it. You will want to go to camera settings to set photos and videos to save on SD card.

Sent From My Galaxy S4 Using Android Central App
    Awesome, thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Podges View Post
    I don't know that you need the 64gb Samsung xc, but does sound nice.
    Definitely don't cheap out on the card speed. Class 10 is recommended, 6 or better is an absolute must, IMO.
    Oh I have no idea if I'd need 64gb, but I just like having the ability.
    I'll definitely pick up a class 10 for sure, no questions about it!

If you're coming from another phone with a MicroSD, you can just copy and paste.

I had an 8Gb card in my previous phone. When I bought a 32Gb card for the S4, I just copied the contents of the old card to the new one with my desktop and installed it. No formatting or anything else needed.

Buy any SDHC Class 10 card that is on sale. Brand hasn't been an issue in my experience. I've had multiple different brands from class 4 to 10, from 4GB to my current 32GB. Don't go below class 10, basically. Don't buy from the carrier stores as they will gouge you.

As for formatting, simply stick in the card and you're done. You can no longer put apps on the SD card, but you can put movies/pictures/music on them.