Addressing The One/S4 "Bias" At Android Central

Eric Kane

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I don't think it's any secret that I'm fond of the Samsung Galaxy S4. I've spent the past week or so answering as many questions as I could, talking people off the ledge about the "lag", offering insights on what I thought the issues were with the phone, etc. I have also owned the HTC One, a phone often compared, usually favorably, to the S4. Now that I've established that, let me make something perfectly clear:

Some of you are way out of bounds on accusing this site specifically about being biased and pushing the One over the S4. There's absolutely nothing wrong with choosing the One over the S4 and being happy with that choice. Today, Jerry started a thread based on his experiences with the S4 and pointed out a lot of the very same things I've been saying about the supposed lag, why it stutters, etc. He offered up his opinion on the phone, mentioned very briefly that he prefers the One because of the camera and the speakers, and that was it. After a few good responses, the thread turned into an angry mob of people upset that he mentioned he prefers the One. If you've listened to the podcasts, I believe he's vocalized it there, too. So has Alex. You know what? That's their choice and in no way is it being biased.

Do you blame them? The One is the proverbial "wet dream" for reviewers. It covers all the negatives most reviewers complain about and turns them into positives. It's almost as if HTC took a checklist out and wrote down what most reviewers complain about and said "Do the opposite of this" to their team. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that, either, because the One is a great phone. Do I think some review sites piggyback on other reviews and agree for the sake of agreeing? A little. Is this site one of them? Not even close. I would trust any of those guys to be objective and review a phone. It's the reason I post here and nowhere else.

That being said, there's nothing stating that you need to agree with their assessments, either. Personally, I prefer the S4 and would debate it with anyone (ask Kevin). That doesn't mean that I get upset that they don't agree with me. It just means we have different views and different uses on/for these phones.

I believe that coming up soon, as they mentioned in their podcast, they're all going to pick what phone they prefer, even if Phil questioned if they "reeeeeeaaaally have to". Don't get upset if they choose the One. It all comes down to personal preference.

crbauhs

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
Seriously. People need to stop getting their panties in a bunch. Its good for everyone, the HTC One. Competition breeds innovation. And if you don't think its the best, go with what you do. Its the great thing about being able to do basically whatever the heck you want.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Jerry also prefers a beard and I do not. ;). I respect him a lot and we have had the same choices at times and other we do not. I would prefer the S4 over the HTC One based on everything I have seen. If anyone prefers the One more power to them. It is all about choice. I have an iPhone 5 also, so what...support each others choices people! We all have bias because we are human.

Sent from my Nexus 4

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
The point of the matter is "Be your own reviewer"
Who care what others think, the only difference between what you think and what a blogger thinks is that they are sharing their views with hundreds of people, but at the end of the day, everyone is their own reviewer. Don't let other people's reviews influence your own...BE YOUR OWN REVIEWER

I'm sure if some of yall had your own blog sites, youl would be going through the same problems and debates, and hate these established bloggers do, but at the end of the day, the sky is still blue and the grass is still green, I still have my S4, and others have the phones of their choice...Be Your Own Reviewer

bigdaddytee

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
Being jumped for choosing the One over the S4, by people who are clearly and plainly biased towards the S4...only on the internet!

Wise up, boys. And go Nexus.

Sent from the (4.2 updated) redheaded stepchild of the Nexii

mayconvert

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
Well said. I agree that each person needs to be decide for themselves. I am using an iPhone trying to decide between S4 and HTC One. I have never thought a choice would be This hard.
I went into AT&T AGAIN today to play with both and left the store saying... I am getting the S4, but wife was with me this time and she said. Get me the HTC One LOL. (she is coming over from WP7 Titan 1)
So it looks like I will have one of each and I am keeping my iPhone 5 too. Anyone that thinks getting an android phone is going to turn me into an instant iPhone hater is delusional.
Just because I have an iPhone doesn't mean I hate Android. Same thing with my iMac, I love my iMac, but I have Windows 8 bootcamped because I love it too.

I think anyone who has chosen an HTC One, S4, LG Optimus G/Pro, Sony ZL, iPhone 5, Nokia Lumia 920, Blackberry Z10, Nexus, have ALL chosen the RIGHT phone. Those are all the "top" phones out right now, and ALL of them are GREAT in their own way. ( Sorry if I left out some other Top notch phone from the list, wasn't intentional ) Heck, to be honest, if WP8 had the same app choice as iPhone and Android, I wouldn't even be on these boards. I'd be rocking WP8 because I think its cool.

Guys, enjoy what you have. Don't hate on others for not having the same Preference as you. I prefer Mild Cheddar over Sharp Cheddar, that doesn't make me a swiss hater....

Update*** I didn't go with either.went: LG Optimus G Pro ... WIN!!! and sold the iPhone lol

Last edited:

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Meh, you're missing the larger picture Eric. It's their site, they can have any bias they want. The problem that many peeps have is that they lay the heavy hand on the S4 both in criticism and in calling out S4 posters. Kevin and Jerry feel free to slag the S4 in the S4 forums and then complain about this firestorm they created. They are intelligent men and have to know what their posts will generate. Even more is the moderators openly advocating for the One, engaging in flame wars against the S4 owners and then handing out demerits like we are in kindergarten. If AC is going to have moderators, they should moderate, not actively engage in argument for one side.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
That's it... I am getting a Lumia 920 on ATT....not really buy it does look pretty cool!

Sent from my Nexus 4

maryjane2300

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Well said. I agree that each person needs to be decide for themselves. I am using an iPhone trying to decide between S4 and HTC One. I have never thought a choice would be This hard.
I went into AT&T AGAIN today to play with both and left the store saying... I am getting the S4, but wife was with me this time and she said. Get me the HTC One LOL. (she is coming over from WP7 Titan 1)
So it looks like I will have one of each and I am keeping my iPhone 5 too. Anyone that thinks getting an android phone is going to turn me into an instant iPhone hater is delusional.
Just because I have an iPhone doesn't mean I hate Android. Same thing with my iMac, I love my iMac, but I have Windows 8 bootcamped because I love it too.

I think anyone who has chosen an HTC One, S4, LG Optimus G/Pro, Sony ZL, iPhone 5, Nokia Lumia 920, Blackberry Z10, Nexus, have ALL chosen the RIGHT phone. Those are all the "top" phones out right now, and ALL of them are GREAT in their own way. ( Sorry if I left out some other Top notch phone from the list, wasn't intentional ) Heck, to be honest, if WP8 had the same app choice as iPhone and Android, I wouldn't even be on these boards. I'd be rocking WP8 because I think its cool.

Guys, enjoy what you have. Don't hate on others for not having the same Preference as you. I prefer Mild Cheddar over Sharp Cheddar, that doesn't make me a swiss hater....

I'm with you on the wp8.

Sent from my ATT Galaxy S4

Topgonzo

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
I prefer the HTC One.. I have my reasons.. My wife prefers the s4..I've gotten to play with her phone and vice versa.. Both are amazing phones.. The clear winner is android..

Sent from my HTCONE using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Meh, you're missing the larger picture Eric. It's their site, they can have any bias they want. The problem that many peeps have is that they lay the heavy hand on the S4 both in criticism and in calling out S4 posters. Kevin and Jerry feel free to slag the S4 in the S4 forums and then complain about this firestorm they created. They are intelligent men and have to know what their posts will generate. Even more is the moderators openly advocating for the One, engaging in flame wars against the S4 owners and then handing out demerits like we are in kindergarten. If AC is going to have moderators, they should moderate, not actively engage in argument for one side.

I slag S4 users, because frankly many of them deserve it. I've given my opinion of the S4 exactly one time, and it turned into just another S4 forum crapfest. Thankfully, it didn't release on Verizon first, because I don't think my nerves could have taken Samsung trolls and Verizon trolls in the same spot at the same time.

I'll just be glad when all this hype dies down and i can go back to my Nexus 4 and stop worrying about it.

I'll say it again, here for all to see -- if I had to choose I would choose the HTC One, because the highlight feature is great, and speakers on the front is an idea that works. Put the highlight feature on the superior (IMO) GS4 camera software, and my choice would be different I think. I don't hate the S4, it just doesn't have a feature I want. I have 6GB worth of 30 second highlight reels, and enjoy watching them and sharing them with my friends and family.

shadrap

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Jerry and the rest of the AC staff, I specifically come here for all of your opinions. I want to know what you guys prefer. Doesn't mean that I will choose it, I choose what is best for me. So after deliberation I returned my HTC One and kept the S4. The S4 works best for my needs. So you guys keep the opinions coming. That is what I and most of these people come here for. In the end, we all have to choose what works best for our own needs.

Eric Kane

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I slag S4 users, because frankly many of them deserve it. I've given my opinion of the S4 exactly one time, and it turned into just another S4 forum crapfest. Thankfully, it didn't release on Verizon first, because I don't think my nerves could have taken Samsung trolls and Verizon trolls in the same spot at the same time.

I'll just be glad when all this hype dies down and i can go back to my Nexus 4 and stop worrying about it.

I'll say it again, here for all to see -- if I had to choose I would choose the HTC One, because the highlight feature is great, and speakers on the front is an idea that works. Put the highlight feature on the superior (IMO) GS4 camera software, and my choice would be different I think. I don't hate the S4, it just doesn't have a feature I want. I have 6GB worth of 30 second highlight reels, and enjoy watching them and sharing them with my friends and family.

There's nothing wrong with any of that, either. It goes both ways. I've had my fair share of comments to One users, too.

This whole thing got out of hand. Hopefully it's done and over with.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4

Buckeyes

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Remember, they're just phones! Who cares what someone else likes? I work with a guy whole still uses a flip phone. And he likes it. Apparently, its serves his purposes. And isn't that what matters? Choices equates to competition, which equates to a benefit for the consumer. I have an imac, but don't like the iPhone. I have the HTC One, but could have easily pulled the trigger on the GS4. All great products. Pick the one you like, and enjoy it!

jusmebabe

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Once again it's refreshing to see adults having pissing contests over phones.
Curious, how much stock do you guys own of Samsung and Apple.
I bet the shareholders are pissing thier pants laughing about the sheep fighting. :D

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
I prefer the HTC One.. I have my reasons.. My wife prefers the s4..I've gotten to play with her phone and vice versa.. Both are amazing phones.. The clear winner is android..

Sent from my HTCONE using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Totally agree. I really don't mind the back and fourths, I mean it can get heavy at times but really it's just because we have 2 great phones that we feel good owning.

People always criticize other's of being fan boys/girls and to that I say hell yea. We should be fans with the amount we pay for our phones.

I'm an HTC fan and like seeing all the positive posts. I also enjoy reading about the s4 and seeing the comparative posts. Keep em coming

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums