Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Default internet browser crashes when trying to close multi tabs

First off, very impressed with the phone, but just trying to figure out this problem; did a bit of a search first and I couldn't find anything concrete so I wanted to see if you guys could replicate it or think of a fix.

When using the default internet browser, if I hit the button in the top right to open a new browser window, it will go into the "window manager" screen. From there if I hit the "add window" button in the top right with a plus sign, it won't do anything. The only way I can open new windows is if I use the menu button on the bottm left. Furthermore, if there are multi windows open and I try to close one, it will give me the "Unfortunately the internet has stopped" message. Same thing happens if I try to back out of the "window manager" screen.

Any thoughts?
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

Default Re: Default internet browser crashes when trying to close multi tabs

Bump plz

Have you enabled developer options on your device??
    Then try setting the animations back to the default 1.0x
    And see if this fixes things!

I doubt that'll fix things...

In any case, my phone seems to work fine and I have animations enabled. Try clearing the cache from the Internet app (Settings/Application Manager) and see if it helps. Also, it would help to know if you're rooted, running a modified ROM or stock, which company your phone is, etc.

I had the same problem and found this tread trying to research this problem. I was getting frustrated trying to figure what went wrong.

This is what I have.
    Verizon Samsung Galaxy S4. Rooted, but nothing else installed and running all stock.

1. You will need open Titanium Backup. Hope that you already have it and it backed up your apps.

2. Open Titanium Back and tap on "settings" to bring up "Main menu". Select "Batch actions..."

3. Scroll down to "Un-install" and select RUN "Un-install all user & system apps (USE FILTERS &EXTREME CAUTION)"

4. Make sure to "Deselect all"

5. Look for "internet 1.0" and "com.sec.android.app.sbrowsertry 1.0" and check mark both and un-install them.

6. Re-boot your cell.

7. Open Titanium Back again and select "Backup/Restore"

8. Look for "Internet 1.0" select and hit "Restore". When prompted select "App only". Do the same thing for "com.sec.android.app.sbrowsertry 1.0"

If you had bookmarks than you'll have to go back to Titanium Backup to "restore data only" for "Internet 1.0".

This fixed my crash issue. Hope it works for anyone else.

Wink Re: Default internet browser crashes when trying to close multi tabs

Oops forgot to post this... the solution is quite simple in developer options untick "do not keep activities" Turning this on reproduces the problem on my handset hope this helps someone!
    Thanked by 4:

I have the same problem with the default browser on S4. Love the phone got rid of my iphone after six years. What's happening is when I click on the multiple pages on top right, it expands like it should but when I choose one I get ("Unfortunately the internet has stopped) and or/ unfortunaltely the process has stopped working. and the only way I can access other pages I must type them into url. Anyone have a fix for this?

Have you enabled developer options in settings?
    Thanked by:

Hi I had same problem. But the solution is unclick do not keep activitis on the background and the browser will work fine
    Thanked by 4:

Thank you very much, that worked...

I have been trying to fix this for 2 months and this has just fixed it, nice one

This one works! i untick and able to close all windows. Thank You

Thanks for sharing. It worked. i was able to close 9 windows. Thank You.. S4 is way better and faster then iphone.

thanks ,,,been driving me nuts ,,,fixed

This worked! Thanks!

thank you!

I have the same problem.. where do I find backround options?

On Samsung S4: On Home Screen click for settings, select 'More' tab, Developer options is under 'System Manager'. Select Developer options and scroll to 'Apps' section. 'Do not keep activities' is listed there.
    Thanked by:
    MOS95B 

Does Verizon block this feature? I don't see it listed under system manager.

Posted via Android Central App

Global Posts
    2 Global Posts

It sure did man! Thanks a ton (^_^)b

Go to settings, go to Active Apps Management, clear cashe. Then scroll down to interaction control right above the internet, clear cashe in both of those. I then went back and saw this green icon in the middle it told me to check some Google settings and mine were ok so I went back into Internet and clicked on the window management and it droppes down and I was able to close all 11. FYI in the online manual for s4 active it does say not to have more than 8 windows open. But doesn't matter to me I am only using Chrome now. Hope this helps anyone