Question about battery killing???

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I just want to be sure
Is it better to let the battery die then charge it up?
Or is it better to let it go to about 2% then charge it up without letting it die?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
From what I've experienced and read, it's better to let it die completely to calibrate the phone; if you let it die at 2%, maybe it wasn't REALLY at 2%... That happened when I bought my Note 2.. it spent like 1.5 hours at 5%, so CLEARLY it wasn't at 5%, it just thought it was. But I've also read that on normal use it's not such a good idea to let it die completely.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
From what I've experienced and read, it's better to let it die completely to calibrate the phone; if you let it die at 2%, maybe it wasn't REALLY at 2%... That happened when I bought my Note 2.. it spent like 1.5 hours at 5%, so CLEARLY it wasn't at 5%, it just thought it was. But I've also read that on normal use it's not such a good idea to let it die completely.

So pretty much let it die only when calibrating or doing a full cycle, but not letting it die on normal use?

brianphrack

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
I just want to be sure
Is it better to let the battery die then charge it up?
Or is it better to let it go to about 2% then charge it up without letting it die?

Charge it whenever you have the opportunity to charge... there are still so many old outdated battery usage techniques that don't apply to the newer batteries. These days you can't hurt your battery so much; bump and drain, in my opinion, are a thing of old tech. A myth so much, that is no longer necessary.

I'm sure others will disagree, and I'd like to hear their thoughts. But honestly, my general rule of thumb is, use your phone productively. It's an S4 after all, we chose it because we can replace the battery if we need.

Eric Kane

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Charge it whenever you have the opportunity to charge... there are still so many old outdated battery usage techniques that don't apply to the newer batteries. These days you can't hurt your battery so much; bump and drain, in my opinion, are a thing of old tech. A myth so much, that is no longer necessary.

I'm sure others will disagree, and I'd like to hear their thoughts. Honestly, my general rule of thumb is, use your phone productively. It's an S4 after all, we chose it because we can replace the battery if we need.

Was about to type this verbatim.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

I'm sure others will disagree, and I'd like to hear their thoughts. But honestly, my general rule of thumb is, use your phone productively. It's an S4 after all, we chose it because we can replace the battery if we need.

Yeah true, I have heard so many things from people that letting it die is bad for the battery, or make sure u kill the battery to make it last longer...I usually charge it whenever I can, but who knows there could possibly be some benefit to letting it die every once in a while

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
They're right, batteries these days don't really 'care' if you charge them half-way or let them die; it's the phone you gotta take care of now... The calibration cycle is NOT for the battery, it's for the system to know exactly how much juice can your battery hold. The 'don't let it die out completely on normal use' is, again, not because you might 'hurt' the battery, but because you'd be pushing your phone to power down when depleting it's power source. They're programed to shut down within a 'minimum level' and avoid data damage, but you'd better be safe than sorry, right? ;)