S4 costs more than iPhone 5 to build

Fairclough

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
No surprise there, just look at the specs the iphone 5 is packing and were its built... ill give you a hit foxcom (apples manufacturer) has metal bars on its windows to stop employee's jumping out.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

Lol the comments on that article made me happy... happy to not be one of those people. Our ignorant statements about "build quality", etc. are WAY more sophisticated...

Seriously though, here's the thing... OF COURSE IT COSTS MORE!!! It's more than 3x the device! WAY better processor, NFC, double the RAM, almost double the battery capacity, way bigger screen with much higher pixel density... everything about this thing is more expensive. The fact that it's not 2-3x the cost is actually lending credibility to the engineers of this thing.

If we're going to compare the iPhone 5 to something, lets compare it to a dual core, 1GM RAM, 1440mAH battery with no NFC, no removable parts and a smaller (in size and pixel density) screen. Say, the Galaxy Nexus? Very similar processor, same RAM, 1850mAH battery, (does have NFC, but oh well). Much bigger screen but 316ppi instead of 326, so close there.... oh what? It sold off contract for $400, compared to $750 for Apple. For $350 less, you get much better software, a larger battery, NFC, a larger screen and no ridiculous home button.

Obviously the mainstream hipsters disagree, but the cost-benefit of the iPhone 5 seems to be approximately 40% of what Samsung made 2 years ago, yet it costs them almost as much to make that 2 year old tech as it does for Sammy to make the S4, which is arguably triple the value.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Sorry if I went off a little there, but holy cow. This is like discovering it costs more to make a Mercedes than a Toyota. OF COURSE! And people wonder why I say Apple is currently 2 years behind in tech... it's 18 months behind on hardware, if not 2 years if you consider the Galaxy S2 which was summer 2011 AND it's 2.5-3 years behind on software. Good lord I hope they bring their A Game this June at Apple-ville or whatever they call it... because Android needs some competition so we can put an end to this HTC, Sammy nonsense and go back to fighting the "real enemy", little girls and old nerds.

Edit:
Just realized I went off again in my apology for going off. I'm going to bed. If I offended your love of Apple, HA! JK I love you even if we buy different phones. SERIOUSLY someone tell Apple to bring the heat. We need some real innovation or Sammy will just phone in the Note 3 and S5 too. They're already 3x better, who are they going to compete against, Microsoft!? HAHAHA seriously, no.

Edit of Edit:
Man, I can't go 5 seconds without insulting another operating system. I'm really leaving this time, because Blackberry looks scared.

LONG LIVE THE NEXUS!!!!!!!!!! :)

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Lol the comments on that article made me happy... happy to not be one of those people. Our ignorant statements about "build quality", etc. are WAY more sophisticated...

Seriously though, here's the thing... OF COURSE IT COSTS MORE!!! It's more than 3x the device! WAY better processor, NFC, double the RAM, almost double the battery capacity, way bigger screen with much higher pixel density... everything about this thing is more expensive. The fact that it's not 2-3x the cost is actually lending credibility to the engineers of this thing.

If we're going to compare the iPhone 5 to something, lets compare it to a dual core, 1GM RAM, 1440mAH battery with no NFC, no removable parts and a smaller (in size and pixel density) screen. Say, the Galaxy Nexus? Very similar processor, same RAM, 1850mAH battery, (does have NFC, but oh well). Much bigger screen but 316ppi instead of 326, so close there.... oh what? It sold off contract for $400, compared to $750 for Apple. For $350 less, you get much better software, a larger battery, NFC, a larger screen and no ridiculous home button.

Obviously the mainstream hipsters disagree, but the cost-benefit of the iPhone 5 seems to be approximately 40% of what Samsung made 2 years ago, yet it costs them almost as much to make that 2 year old tech as it does for Sammy to make the S4, which is arguably triple the value.

Bro, I cant disagree with this.

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Sorry if I went off a little there, but holy cow. This is like discovering it costs more to make a Mercedes than a Toyota. OF COURSE! And people wonder why I say Apple is currently 2 years behind in tech... it's 18 months behind on hardware, if not 2 years if you consider the Galaxy S2 which was summer 2011 AND it's 2.5-3 years behind on software. Good lord I hope they bring their A Game this June at Apple-ville or whatever they call it... because Android needs some competition so we can put an end to this HTC, Sammy nonsense and go back to fighting the "real enemy", little girls and old nerds.

Edit:
Just realized I went off again in my apology for going off. I'm going to bed. If I offended your love of Apple, HA! JK I love you even if we buy different phones. SERIOUSLY someone tell Apple to bring the heat. We need some real innovation or Sammy will just phone in the Note 3 and S5 too. They're already 3x better, who are they going to compete against, Microsoft!? HAHAHA seriously, no.

Edit of Edit:
Man, I can't go 5 seconds without insulting another operating system. I'm really leaving this time, because Blackberry looks scared.

LONG LIVE THE NEXUS!!!!!!!!!! :)

And here i thought you were being mature:p
They aren't lacking in hardware just Software. Use an iphone and after noticing how smooth it is you can realise that specs don't equate to better performance.

Besides Apples A6 is using ARM's A15 architechture which has been proven to destroy A9 based quad core processor.

Don't forget matt,about the iOS revamp.
Oh and dont worry I'll keep BB away from you;)

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site

More important -- and a fact forgotten by so many -- it currently lacks the economy of scale.

That doesn't make for sexy headlines though.

Me? I couldn't care less how much a phone costs to make. I'm not making it. Doesn't affect me at all.

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
I don't get it either, why does it matter.

I first noticed it with Apple's iPhone, it seems like it was released to show what exactly, how greedy companies are?

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
When you have the economies of scale Apple has at the moment, it makes their manufacturing process cheaper. But with a bigger display, quad core processor and more RAM, I'm not sure why anyone would be surprised. Aluminum is not typically an expensive metal.... it's all about how it's manufactured. So because one cost more to make doesn't mean much it's all about the economies of scale and the manufacturing process of the materials that are used.

In any event, I'm digging how light and thin the GS4 is. Feels very nice so far.

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
More important -- and a fact forgotten by so many -- it currently lacks the economy of scale.

That doesn't make for sexy headlines though.

Me? I couldn't care less how much a phone costs to make. I'm not making it. Doesn't affect me at all.
Would you agree with me that phones do not need to have quad core processor 2 GB of RAM?
If so do you also agree that Samsung could have made the Galaxy S4 even cheaper to make if they went dual core A15?

Posted via Android Central App using my Nexus 4

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
No it isn't.

Um, yes it is.

Everything iphone claimed was new with the 5 has been some long ago with Android.

There are no new features on the iphone 5.

Biggest complaint about it that I hear from customers is no simultaneous talk and surf, yet even the Thunderbolt does that.

Iphones are outdated at release

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Um, yes it is.

Everything iphone claimed was new with the 5 has been some long ago with Android.

Biggest complaint about it that I hear from customers is no simultaneous talk and surf, yet even the Thunderbolt does that.

WTF?? I do that all the time on my iPhone. You cant do that on CDMA carriers its not Apples fault.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
WTF?? I do that all the time on my iPhone. You cant do that on CDMA carriers its not Apples fault.

It works on CDMA. Verizon has it on several devices. Actually, the Thunderbolt may have been the first... it might be LTE that allows it, which is technically a GSM technology. Where is Alex or Jerry?

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site

Actually it IS Apple's fault, every other LTE phone does it except the iphone because apple made it that way.

Please don't speak if the truth isn't with you

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Um, yes it is.

And really? Does android have good looking apps? Absolutely not(there are exceptions)
In my country Google doesn't give us books, movies and magazines. Apple does.
My N4 DOES stutter occasionally the iPhone does not.
iOS STILL has the best email client. Android has nothing close.
Maybe you should accept that people have different opinions from you hmmm?

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Actually it IS Apple's fault, every other LTE phone does it except the iphone because apple made it that way.

Please don't speak if the truth isn't with you

NO, understand this now CDMA LTE and GSM LTE is different.
I talk and surf ALL THE BLOODY TIME I also did iot on 3G when I had the iPhone 3GS stop being ignorant.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
NO, understand this now CDMA LTE and GSM LTE is different.
I talk and surf ALL THE BLOODY TIME I also did iot on 3G when I had the iPhone 3GS stop being ignorant.

No, it's not. LTE is LTE. The technology behind it doesn't change just because you fall back to CDMA vs GSM. The iPhone doesn't do it on CDMA because Apple chose not to. HTC, Samsung, Motorola, etc chose to do it. It's all in how they decide to implement the radio/antennas/baseband. A device is more than capable of simultaneous voice/data if the manufacturer decides to allow it.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2409716,00.asp

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
No, it's not. LTE is LTE. The technology behind it doesn't change just because you fall back to CDMA vs GSM. The iPhone doesn't do it on CDMA because Apple chose not to. HTC, Samsung, Motorola, etc chose to do it. It's all in how they decide to implement the radio/antennas/baseband. A device is more than capable of simultaneous voice/data if the manufacturer decides to allow it.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2409716,00.asp

Well hustleman still isn't exactly right is he? I do it all the time with my GSM iPhone 5.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2