1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    8,884 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Default Android Central's One vs S4 camera comparison

Alex took quite a few pictures with both phones. Take a look for yourself and discuss here.
    Kevin F.I.M.T.K. O'Quinn Esq.

Default Re: Android Central's One vs S4 camera comparison

I'm not surprised at the results here. The One gets a bad rep for only being 4MP, and yes that can hinder quite a few situations, but it's a fantastic camera. I'm partial to the versatility of the S4's 13MP camera, though, and I love the software. As useful and as cool as I found Zoe to be, once Android gets Vine I probably would have been using that instead due to being able to share that with a very large user base on Twitter.

You really can't go wrong with either camera. There's people that use Zoe like it's their job and that's awesome. There's people that don't ever use their photos outside of social media and take a lot of low light shots. The One is definitely the better choice there.

Both are pretty outstanding, not going to lie.
    Beats the grains out of my Evo3D

Both have strengths and weaknesses. Neither are horrible in any particular area. If you will be doing alot of lowlight shots, maybe go HTC One. If you will be doing well lit/daylight shots, maybe go S4. For me, I have trouble with my S4 in lowlight situations indoor. Outside its excellent.

Sent From My Galaxy S4 Using Android Central App

Quote Originally Posted by mpdofficer514 View Post
    Both have strengths and weaknesses. Neither are horrible in any particular area. If you will be doing alot of lowlight shots, maybe go HTC One. If you will be doing well lit/daylight shots, maybe go S4. For me, I have trouble with my S4 in lowlight situations indoor. Outside its excellent.

Sent From My Galaxy S4 Using Android Central App
    Throw it on night mode or manually change the iso and your problems will mostly go away. There ia also a software image stability option in the settings to help with camera shake.

sent from my S4 using motion gestures!!!!

Great article! Nice comparison

Sent from my HTCONE using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

I just read the camera comparison from Alax. As a photographer for 30 years, I think he did a great job and I agree with everything he said.
    One of the best camera reviews I've seen sofar on both phones.

I do wish he would post detailed settings and exposures tho. But otherwise, outstanding.

Nice job... and for me personally, coming from an OG RAZR to the GS4 (eventually *Verizon*), I'm looking at the images and thinking yep....my Razr camera pretty much sucks. And for me the camera has become my deciding factor.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    8,884 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by warpdrive View Post
    I just read the camera comparison from Alax. As a photographer for 30 years, I think he did a great job and I agree with everything he said.
    One of the best camera reviews I've seen sofar on both phones.

I do wish he would post detailed settings and exposures tho. But otherwise, outstanding.

Unless he states that he used a specific mode (HDR, Nightmode, etc.), the shots were all done in the default "Auto" mode.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin O'Quinn View Post
    Unless he states that he used a specific mode (HDR, Nightmode, etc.), the shots were all done in the default "Auto" mode.
    Oh, I know that. But, even reviewers at times make mistakes or forget that they changed a setting....or why not include software image stability on the S4 in low light.
    But the lack of posting exposure values, while not needed can be very valuable info.

Please bare in mind that this is not a big deal, but just something for him to think about including in his next camera review.

11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    8,884 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by warpdrive View Post
    Oh, I know that. But, even reviewers at times make mistakes or forget that they changed a setting....or why not include software image stability on the S4 in low light.
    But the lack of posting exposure values, while not needed can be very valuable info.

Please bare in mind that this is not a big deal, but just something for him to think about including in his next camera review.

Makes sense. Maybe I'll suggest a specific low-light shootout. The S4 doesn't do terrible there, and maybe that image stability would help. I haven't specifically read about it, but I think he said something about it doing something weird with the resolution, which might be why he didn't use it. That's pure speculation, though.

Just read the article
    Good to know I made the right choice

Sent from my amazing Samsung Galaxy S4... there is none better!
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    8,884 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

For those that are interested in the specific ISO other sort of meta data, click on the link on the bottom of the post to go to the Google+ page, and you can get all of that info there. It's just not going to tell you if the phone had anything other that "Auto" selected, but you'll at least be able to see the choices that the ISP made.

I did speak with Alex about the "software image stabilization" (I woke him up, sorry Alex!). The setting is "anti-shake" correct? As long as we're talking about the same thing, he gave me a breakdown of what it does. "it works by reducing the megapixel count and having a buffer area around the image that's taken" and further added "anti-shake is going to help with shaking, nothing else" So it's not going to do much with any type of blurriness or focus issues, unfortunately.

Excellent review of both cameras. Amazing what a "smartphone" camera can do!
    I believe I like the medium angle lens of the GS4 more compared to the HTC One; the excellent contrast provided by the GS4, and the higher resolution of the GS4 as well in case of crops and enlargements.

Thanks,
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin O'Quinn View Post
    For those that are interested in the specific ISO other sort of meta data, click on the link on the bottom of the post to go to the Google+ page, and you can get all of that info there. It's just not going to tell you if the phone had anything other that "Auto" selected, but you'll at least be able to see the choices that the ISP made.

I did speak with Alex about the "software image stabilization" (I woke him up, sorry Alex!). The setting is "anti-shake" correct? As long as we're talking about the same thing, he gave me a breakdown of what it does. "it works by reducing the megapixel count and having a buffer area around the image that's taken" and further added "anti-shake is going to help with shaking, nothing else" So it's not going to do much with any type of blurriness or focus issues, unfortunately.
    Oh man. Say sorry to Alex for me next time. And a big Thx for passing the message on to him.