Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By fishepa
  • 1 Post By acr456
  • 1 Post By Patrick Schroedl
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default DId I mess up my battery?

Hi, I recently got my samsung galaxy s4 (3 days ago) and charged it overnight twice.

Today I noticed a massive battery drain (from 85% to 10%) with me doing nothing, I was just at school and the galaxy s4 was in my pocket.

I think it was 30% android OS and 33% screen and the rest were distributed rather evenly.

I spoke to someone at the Vodaphone store (my carrier) and this is what he said:

- by charging overnight I "burned out" the battery and messed it up
    - this is because the current still runs at 100% and wrecks your battery life
    - he told me to go to Samsung shop in the city to get the battery replaced and not to charge overnight

Can I get some ideas guys? what's wrong with my battery and if the vodaphone person I spoke to has an idea of what he's talking about?

(if not charging overnight, when else to charge?)

Default Re: DId I mess up my battery?

Hmmmm not sure if thats necessarily true
    I always charge my phone overnight and never had problems

Try turning off various features you don't use, also lower your screen brightness to about 30-40% (It's still visible)
    - Using the Galaxy S5! -

As far as aware you can charge lithium ion batteries whenever you want and they do not have any "memory" so they shouldn't get damaged

It could possibly be apps conflicting or an app draining battery unnecessarily. I had an issue like this and I used a battery monitor to check how much power each app was using. This may be the best thing for you to try. Pm me if u need any more help

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk 2

I doubt the battery drain was because of charging the battery over night. Most likely caused by an app running in the background or the phone looking for a tower. Next time you are at school put the phone in airplane mode and see how the battery does. You could also download a battery app that shows wakelock.

Global Posts
    168 Global Posts

Charging the battery overnight destroys the battery? That may be the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    fantom305 and Calidoc like this.

Quote Originally Posted by fishepa View Post
    Charging the battery overnight destroys the battery? That may be the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

Yea, they just made something up hoping you would believe it.

Sent from Ravenholm.
    Calidoc likes this.

All modern smartphones and tablets have load and over-charge protection build into the power circuits. Charging your phones overnight did not and will not ruin your battery, unless there was something already wrong with it.
    Calidoc likes this.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Hmm, when I got the phone it was approximately 40%, the first charging of the phone should've been for a long time and left on correct? [I remember for new phones it was good to do this(unsure) ]

I took it in and out a couple of times, did this affect the battery cause I didn't fully charge it when I got it?

So overnight charging for the S4 does not ruin it?

Quote Originally Posted by fishepa View Post

Quote Originally Posted by acr456 View Post
    Yea, they just made something up hoping you would believe it.

Sent from Ravenholm.
    +1

I'm surprised they didn't tell OP to rub the Battery on his/her head to create static which reconditions it. LOL *modern family.

Quote Originally Posted by d4rkfang View Post
    Hmm, when I got the phone it was approximately 40%, the first charging of the phone should've been for a long time and left on correct? [I remember for new phones it was good to do this(unsure) ]

I took it in and out a couple of times, did this affect the battery cause I didn't fully charge it when I got it?

So overnight charging for the S4 does not ruin it?
    As stated before these batteries do not have a memory like older style batteries. U do not need to charge it fully when u get the phone. Nothing you have done in terms of charging it would have affected the battery

It is most likely an app killing it.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk 2

Try installing Juice Defender, it makes quite a difference on battery management, free version should do all you need.

Leaving your phone, or any device, on a charger for a long time with a full battery is not good for the battery. It can ruin your battery, but not by doing it once or twice. Doing it every night for a year will have a negative effect, though. I've ruined a few laptop batteries like this, but it took, like, a year of leaving them plugged in. Lithium ions.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by d4rkfang View Post
    Remember Lithium Ion batteries doesn't create memory. Your battery is probably defective if not like other people said already some background apps running. The only thing that I have read that will shorten the life of the battery is to let it run out complete before charging it again.

I found this information in the internet about Lithium batteries. There is plenty of information here if you guys find the time to read. Its from Battery University. com